Christian Benteke

Kwan

I would prefer him to stay and I still think there’s a chance that could happen if Tim and Ray can 'seduce' him!  But, if someone comes in and meets the £32.5m clause (which we should definitely hold firm on) then that could work well for us 'if' the money is reinvested and we have time to use it.  Unlike others I really couldn’t care less where he goes, “just show me the money” and he’s yours!

• Like 2

This won't be popular i guess but I think we should be actively marketing him at £32.5m. The squad needs so much strengthening and £32.5m would come in handy for that purpose. In a way, there's not much point in keeping Benteke if he is so much better than the rest of the squad and we can't afford to invest to create a balanced team that doesn't depend so much on Benteke firing to be successful.

Does anybody know if Benteke wants to go to Liverpool?  Have we heard anything from him or his agent at all?  I see Liverpool are after him and they may have had some encouragement from somewhere I'm assuming but I havent seen anything saying he is interested but I may have missed it.  Still not sure why he'd want to go there as I've said before, his talents scream a better team and if he has a good season with us where he is settle and scores for fun and then showcased in the Euro's then he can go to a big team, a team that's CL qualified at least.

I think in that scam phone call his agent said something that ruled out Spurs, and 2+2=10, he wanted to go to Liverpool.

So no hard evidence that he wants to go to Liverpool. It is just that the media do not think we should have someone like him, and they love Liverpool.

So the Liverpool friendly press trying to get Benteke his "dream" move.  He's even ready to try and force the issue when he returns to training.

I'm sorry, but how can he force the issue?  I don't think he can seriously expect us to lower the price below a clause that he agreed to when he signed his new deal.  

I seriously hope another club trumps Liverpool to any deal.  

Every day we keep hearing contradictory reports, some saying that Liverpool are now ready to meet the buy out clause and some saying they will move onto Jovetivic if we don't lower our price and some reports saying Benteke will request a transfer to Liverpool to help the move happen. Who knows what is going to happen, looks like the papers don't as they are all coming up with different stories.

In my opinion he should go for no less than the buy out clause, and I think the club will stick strictly to that figure. Firstly it was agreed by both parties when the contract was signed so he can have no complaints, and secondly £32m is now probably the going rate for a 1 in 2 PL goalscorer.

I hear people worrying about a late activation of the clause, but I would think that we already have a list drawn up of replacements, and personally I would hope we are looking at bringing a striker in regardless of Benteke leaving this summer in preperation for him leaving next summer.

Show us your money, or move along.

• Like 4

This won't be popular i guess but I think we should be actively marketing him at £32.5m. The squad needs so much strengthening and £32.5m would come in handy for that purpose. In a way, there's not much point in keeping Benteke if he is so much better than the rest of the squad and we can't afford to invest to create a balanced team that doesn't depend so much on Benteke firing to be successful.

I don't agree because we do not know what budget TS has to work with. Given the players we are signing or are rumoured to be interested in I would guess it's more than we think. The big issue at Villa was the wage bill and we have spent every season since MON left trying to sort that out and it appears it's finally under control. Added to that we have no idea what new owner might provide as transfer budget if the sale happens, and before the end of the transfer window.

I was originally quite bullish about Beneteke staying, less so now, even knowing that most of the Liverpool loving media is making most of it up. Our problem is who we replace him with? We won't get anyone cheaply as strikers always ago for a premium and selling clubs will know we have £32.5m less Ghenk's (spelling?) share in our pocket.

I still think we should do everything in our power to keep him if that is possible. If he has a blistering season with us and at the Euros we will get more than £32.5m for him.

• Like 1

Is it weird that the thing that gets me more then Benteke leaving is the fact he could do so much better than Liverpool. That and it makes me laugh that Pool are willing to pay £35 Million for Andy Carroll yet won't pay £32 Million for an actual proven consistent goalscorer.

I think that's pretty much everyone's problem with it.

He is capable of going to a much better team than Liverpool.

And he probably would if the option was there.

But if no bigger clubs want him this summer, and Liverpool genuinely do, then he's left with the choice of Aston Villa next season or Liverpool.

And as far as they've fallen, Liverpool are still a much much bigger club than Aston Villa :(

I don't agree because we do not know what budget TS has to work with. Given the players we are signing or are rumoured to be interested in I would guess it's more than we think. The big issue at Villa was the wage bill and we have spent every season since MON left trying to sort that out and it appears it's finally under control. Added to that we have no idea what new owner might provide as transfer budget if the sale happens, and before the end of the transfer window.

I was originally quite bullish about Beneteke staying, less so now, even knowing that most of the Liverpool loving media is making most of it up. Our problem is who we replace him with? We won't get anyone cheaply as strikers always ago for a premium and selling clubs will know we have £32.5m less Ghenk's (spelling?) share in our pocket.

I still think we should do everything in our power to keep him if that is possible. If he has a blistering season with us and at the Euros we will get more than £32.5m for him.

Unless he signs a new contract with a higher release clause £32.5m seems to be the max we'll get for him (if that is actually the clause figure)

The talk with TS should go along the lines of , right now we want £32.5mil which has put clubs off.Give us a season we have better players joining the squad and we are aiming higher than staying in the league.Next summer one year on contract we will understandably have to lower price and a number of clubs arguable bigger than Liverpool will be interested.You go with our best wishes.

For me we are making alot of changes but we need as best as we can keep some stability to the squad , we are looking to change keeper and Vlaar looks to have gone so half the spine has already changed we really need to try our best to keep CB and Delph and supplement them with new additions.

• Like 1

Is it weird that the thing that gets me more then Benteke leaving is the fact he could do so much better than Liverpool. That and it makes me laugh that Pool are willing to pay £35 Million for Andy Carroll yet won't pay £32 Million for an actual proven consistent goalscorer.

I'm so sick of these sorts of transfer sagas every year, it's like the papers purposely target us as some sort of team to develop players for the top four teams. That NEEDS to change. 

The transfer fees aren't linked r.e: Carroll and Benteke (Torres factor, remember?) - and, hell, why wouldn't Liverpool try and bargain the price down?

replace Torres with Sterling

I think you'll find most of my posts actively agree with you.

Though there is another poster who made a point about not knowing what budget Tim already has to work with.  Say hypothetically we did already have a massive budget to spend on improving the team, even if we kept Benteke...then yes, Benteke could compliment us and the whole team could be improved - in an improved Team he can stand there and be the barn door we kick balls at to score goals.

That's all good and well, but back on planet earth I agree we need the money that Benteke could bring to make the Team better and not be relying on him to keep us up.  In our current position, I believe we would be better off with the money done...just providing it's spent well.

I don't blame him for wanting out of a very poor team.

But if he goes to Shitterpool, he's a total grade A word removed.

• Like 1

It's got to the point now where i don't really care if he goes

I know replacing his goals will be a problem but i'm sick of hearing the same thing after every season

I'am disappointed that he will be going to Liverpool though a club not even in the champions league he's better than that

Edited by AshVilla

Liverpool are going to a tribunal to decide fee for Ings , could it be case that they can't spend too much on Benteke as it would higher the market rate for a striker and the cost of Ings would increase ?

Another way to look at that situation is Liverpool seem determined to not pay market rate for players ...well unless they are from Southampton or have a fancy Brazilian name 

Seriously who do the papers think we are??? They seem to think we will bend over backwards to the kopshiites.

They seem to forget they got stung the past couple of times they wanted our players.

They are the vilest club in English football, the way the media and fans were telling us all how we should want them to win the title couple of years ago was ridiculous.... But there god messed that one up for them! Good old Slippy G

So the Liverpool friendly press trying to get Benteke his "dream" move. He's even ready to try and force the issue when he returns to training.

I'm sorry, but how can he force the issue? I don't think he can seriously expect us to lower the price below a clause that he agreed to when he signed his new deal.

I seriously hope another club trumps Liverpool to any deal.

He could try to force the issue by handing in a transfer request. Apparently this would mean he wouldn't get a loyalty bonus and thus the club may accept a slightly lower offer

He wants to F***k us so we F***k him - put in a request but we still ask for 32.5 - we don't have to accept it - we refuse and say we still want the 32.5. Don't give a shit about him now - he goes he goes he stays he stays - not gonna have this apparent love in many have with him - he's good but I've seen better in a Villa Shirt.

Maybe with the signings we are makeing we won't rely on him as much as we did. Play Gil and the newbies and play more expansive football and score from other areas.

He'll do the same to Liverpool if they fail to qualify for the Champs League and he won't get as much slack from them as he has done with us. He'll have some great shoes to fill (and I don't mean just from the Sky Era)..

Just want to move on from him and look forward to the new season - no matter the end result.

He wants to F***k us so we F***k him - put in a request but we still ask for 32.5 - we don't have to accept it - we refuse and say we still want the 32.5. Don't give a shit about him now - he goes he goes he stays he stays - not gonna have this apparent love in many have with him - he's good but I've seen better in a Villa Shirt.

Maybe with the signings we are makeing we won't rely on him as much as we did. Play Gil and the newbies and play more expansive football and score from other areas.

He'll do the same to Liverpool if they fail to qualify for the Champs League and he won't get as much slack from them as he has done with us. He'll have some great shoes to fill (and I don't mean just from the Sky Era)..

Just want to move on from him and look forward to the new season - no matter the end result.

How is he trying to f**k us? He wants to leave and is perfectly in his rights to do that. 

Â