Christian Benteke

Kwan

he should have been sold after first season to maximise profits.

Given the circumstances then I think very few wanted us to sell him then. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

Correct.  I wonder how selling Bony will benefit Swansea.

Are their fans in uproar btw?  I have no idea what the general consensus is.

Given the circumstances then I think very few wanted us to sell him then. Hindsight is such a wonderful thing.

Agree with these. Quite a gamble to sell your best players at their peak.

Selling benteke now would be madness. He's our only hope of staying up.

Selling him in the summer will be a shame but think it needs to happen. Just hopeful we can still get a big fee and reinvest the money.

DC, ive no doubt he is struggling at the moment with this system, but if he was on form (an the rest of the team) surely you would not be saying this. Players like him are our future, an we will find it hard to replace him. If we are going to progress where we truely want to be, we have to try keep our best players as long as we can. We haven't really had a full season out of him yet!

Selling him in the summer will be a shame but think it needs to happen. Just hopeful we can still get a big fee and reinvest the money.

Stop selling good players. Benteke could maybe go for £18 million. Lambert might get £11 million of that to spend on a Tonev, a Sylla, a Lowton and a Bennett. And they can launch the ball up to Weimann. 

If we want to sell Benteke we're not getting £30 million. Only players that teams aren't looking to sell go for that money. Benteke's stock is low. When it's high again we won't want to sell him. 

Why can't we just enjoy having a good player playing for Villa, rather than looking through our FM glasses at who we might be able to sign in the far from certain scenario that Lambert gets  given a good chunk of the transfer fee to spend. Liverpool spent £16 million on Balotelli and everyone thought it was a great deal at the time. We could end up blowing the Benteke money like that. Or on two Stephen Irelands. Etc etc.

Don't build team around hypothetical players. Improve around what we have already. Piecemeal if necessary. The alternative is filling the team with painfully average stop gap players, at which point I'm happy to just pack it all in. 

• Like 4

DC, ive no doubt he is struggling at the moment with this system, but if he was on form (an the rest of the team) surely you would not be saying this. Players like him are our future, an we will find it hard to replace him. If we are going to progress where we truely want to be, we have to try keep our best players as long as we can. We haven't really had a full season out of him yet!

I'd love to have him here and build a team round it but I can't see it. I think he'll want to go this summer. Hopefully I'm wrong or maybe a sale of the club could convince him to stay.

You're right in saying players LIKE him are our future, but I don't necessarily think that he himself fits into that. He's a fantastic player, and will be world class at a better club, but this season has cast a few question marks over his temperament for me. I can't say I would be any different in his situation, but I expect more from a professional. He strikes me still as a little bit immature.

I'd love him to get back on from and stay, but I think we need to look forward instead. When the last Benteke goes, we need to find the next one - and get pretty good at finding them regularly. That's the only way we'll ever be able to generate enough revenue to push beyond our glass ceiling of 8-9th with FFP. Buy low, get them playing well, sell high, repeat

You're right in saying players LIKE him are our future, but I don't necessarily think that he himself fits into that. He's a fantastic player, and will be world class at a better club, but this season has cast a few question marks over his temperament for me. I can't say I would be any different in his situation, but I expect more from a professional. He strikes me still as a little bit immature.

I'd love him to get back on from and stay, but I think we need to look forward instead. When the last Benteke goes, we need to find the next one - and get pretty good at finding them regularly. That's the only way we'll ever be able to generate enough revenue to push beyond our glass ceiling of 8-9th with FFP. Buy low, get them playing well, sell high, repeat

You can't expect him to be at 100% when none of the other players are, an being the team is tatically so poor at the moment.

Edited by foreveryoung

This thread seems to be descending into lunacy. Benteke is currently mired in a slump, as is the case with the whole squad.. and niw he is shit and we should get rid? Deary me...

Tbh, bar a handful of games, he's either been injured or not great since his first season. He's got nowhere near hitting the heights he did. And that's where people recognise that if he continues like this, wel eventually get barely anything for him or hel continue as a 10 goal a season striker for us.

benteke is the poor mans torres.

he walks around like a scolded child in a sulk.

he gets paid to score goals.

he's not scoring, so he's not worth his wages imo.

And if results had continued like now no doubt you'd have been straight on the Lerner thread accusing him of lack of ambition and selling key players.

This thread seems to be descending into lunacy. Benteke is currently mired in a slump, as is the case with the whole squad.. and niw he is shit and we should get rid? Deary me...

Tbh, bar a handful of games, he's either been injured or not great since his first season. He's got nowhere near hitting the heights he did. And that's where people recognise that if he continues like this, wel eventually get barely anything for him or hel continue as a 10 goal a season striker for us.

A 10 goal a season striker in a 20 goal a season team isn't so bad.

• Like 4

There Welsh they would have no idea!!

He looks fed up and bored with this team and so are the fans.  He is a very good player in a mediocre team, with a clueless manager.  If he was a goal keeper he would be thinking why should i bother trying my best every week when those in front of me are shite and he is probably thinking the same.  Remember when he first came to us as fast as he was putting them in at one end they were going in the other end twice as fast and then he had his career threatening injury that ruined his chance of taking part in the greatest football competition on the planet, returns from that injury to find himself in an inept team of whanabe's and hasbeens!!  How would you feel?  I work as a nurse and i can tell you all this talk of being professional wears a bit thin when you have patients calling you all the names under sun and then some and trying to punch your lights out for telling them that their behavior is wrong just because they want  top rate DLA and you and they know there's fekk all wrong with them!!!     

He looks fed up and bored with this team and so are the fans.  He is a very good player in a mediocre team, with a clueless manager.  If he was a goal keeper he would be thinking why should i bother trying my best every week when those in front of me are shite and he is probably thinking the same.  Remember when he first came to us as fast as he was putting them in at one end they were going in the other end twice as fast and then he had his career threatening injury that ruined his chance of taking part in the greatest football competition on the planet, returns from that injury to find himself in an inept team of whanabe's and hasbeens!!  How would you feel?  I work as a nurse and i can tell you all this talk of being professional wears a bit thin when you have patients calling you all the names under sun and then some and trying to punch your lights out for telling them that their behavior is wrong just because they want  top rate DLA and you and they know there's fekk all wrong with them!!!     

You guys do a great job, one I could not do, and I can appreciate how you must feel, but it really is not close to being the same thing.

• Like 1

Â