Christian Benteke

Kwan

Though I wouldn't believe the Daily Mail if they told me the sky was blue I don't think there would be a release clause either.

Exactly this ^. I don't think it's RL, PF or PL's style to promise a future release guarantee when they have no clue what his future value will be. If CB bags 30+ league and cup goals and has a great WC, he'll be worth £40m+ so why restrict ourselves to say £25m? It must have been a very persuasive meeting to get CB and his agent onside for a potential 4 years without a release clause. I expect £55k/week helped but when other suitors would offer similar or more, it's great work by the club.

EDIT: I can't help but think I've just jinxed us where CB bags barely a dozen. :-(

Edited by brommy

I'd have loved to sit there and listen in on the hour conversation Lambert and Benteke had. Can/Has HairyHands shed any light on what was said?

Edited by PieFacE

Samba was the only one to keep Benteke quiet last season, and that was mostly due to a bent ref desperate to keep the QPR media train rolling.

Aside from that, no-one had an answer to him. Even the 'great' SAF with putting Smalling on him with advice to take him out at any opportunity just ended up with Smalling on his arse.

No possibility of 2nd season syndrome. He hasn't become any less of a beast overnight.

Nothing to worry about with Samba, I don't think anyone beats him in the air. Bassong kind of shut him down as well.

Like Drogba he has enough of everything to be classed unplayable, one dimensional players can be stopped more often than not but Tekkers has everything, pace, height, strength and power, a deft touch, good ball control and an eye for the unpredictable, accurate shooting with power and a (so far) decent enough work ethic.

I said it when it looked like we were losing him and I'll say it now he's staying but for me, pound for pound (so far) the best football player I've seen in a Villa shirt and I'm 30 years old (for the record and to give the statement some sort of gravitas).

McGrath?

Legend and like many others I can't be arsed to mention will be remembered far more fondly at this moment in time than Tekkers, but a better footballer no, not for me. Tekkers would run rings around now and then.

No surprise if true. His agent is an amateur and it shows. I wonder if he even had a lawyer read the contract? Just skimmed to the numbers and nodded. Faulkner must have pissed himself laughing as he drove home that night.

Spotted Benteke tonight while driving home from London. He was in his car (unmissable) near the airport / NEC , heading back along the A45 towards the Wheatsheaf .

He was popping round mine for tea.

Samba was the only one to keep Benteke quiet last season, and that was mostly due to a bent ref desperate to keep the QPR media train rolling.

Do you really believe things like that or is that just a fan exaggeration?

I believe that was a factor, yes.

I don't think he was on the take, so I'm embellishing it slightly, but the decisions that day were certainly more in favour of QPR, and the game was dubbed as the last chance for Harry's boys by the media. The match thread will back me up on the standard of officiating that day.

:D

Just been and looked through the match thread. It's pure abuse for Kevin Friend!!

The other funny thing is how shit Bannan must have been that game. Every other post is either abusing Friend or abusing Bannan.

Like Drogba he has enough of everything to be classed unplayable, one dimensional players can be stopped more often than not but Tekkers has everything, pace, height, strength and power, a deft touch, good ball control and an eye for the unpredictable, accurate shooting with power and a (so far) decent enough work ethic.

I said it when it looked like we were losing him and I'll say it now he's staying but for me, pound for pound (so far) the best football player I've seen in a Villa shirt and I'm 30 years old (for the record and to give the statement some sort of gravitas).

McGrath?

He did win Player of the year with dodgy knees and all.

If that's true then that really is a great bit of business by Lambert/ Faulkner/ Lerner.

If Benteke has another good season, then a storming World Cup, we could be looking at a huge fee. Especially if there turns out to be a bidding war between a few of the big clubs.

If that's true then that really is a great bit of business by Lambert/ Faulkner/ Lerner.

If Benteke has another good season, then a storming World Cup, we could be looking at a huge fee. Especially if there turns out to be a bidding war between a few of the big clubs.

If Benteke has another good season and excels in the World Cup i would hope we would be in a better position to keep him.

• Like 3

Â