Christian Benteke

Kwan

tbh i expect that teams now ill put 2 ppl on benteke which means that weiman/gabby/nicklas will have more free space to strike.

I don't see why they'd do that now, but not last season. He wasn't exactly an unknown quantity after January

i thought to an extent they did, if you look at gabby and andi's end to the season it wasnt the only reason for their pick up in form but it was certainly a part of it IMO

not only do the opposition play with benteke in mind it also takes pressure off them 2

tbh i expect that teams now ill put 2 ppl on benteke which means that weiman/gabby/nicklas will have more free space to strike.

I don't see why they'd do that now, but not last season. He wasn't exactly an unknown quantity after January

i thought to an extent they did, if you look at gabby and andi's end to the season it wasnt the only reason for their pick up in form but it was certainly a part of it IMO

not only do the opposition play with benteke in mind it also takes pressure off them 2

For me,the beauty of the 3 is that 2 can have an off day & the 3rd will pop up & deliver-They're all dangerous in their own right.

Just a quick one to say you were virtually to a man correct in your estimation of the chances of him signing for us... I have to admit that once it became clear that Villa valued him as highly as they did it seemed very unlikely we'd get him, the only hope we had was if the Villa board valued him less than you lot. 

I also want to say that I think the Villa board were exactly right to handle it the way they did, not only did they ensure they kept a prized asset they also sent out a powerful message to other players and clubs that Villa mean business and they're on the up: sign for Villa if you buy into the project long-term and not as a stepping stone, and other clubs don't bother **** about because it won't get anywhere.

On the **** about issue, as a Spurs fan I don't think we did **** you about, in the end it seemed all very grown up, you had a price, we had a different one and everyone walks away without any fuss, certainly no weeks and weeks of leaks from Spurs about their intentions or what a great player Benteke is etc etc, the kind of stuff Real Madrid always go in for. I'm not going to say that we definitely would never do it because I can't know that, but I'm relieved we didn't o this occasion because I hate that shit.

Cheers buddy. Do stick around - decent fans of other teams are always welcome. You can represent Spurs; after all, I doubt we'll be seeing joey55 or Glaston for a while. Here's to hoping.

Samba was the only one to keep Benteke quiet last season, and that was mostly due to a bent ref desperate to keep the QPR media train rolling.

Aside from that, no-one had an answer to him. Even the 'great' SAF with putting Smalling on him with advice to take him out at any opportunity just ended up with Smalling on his arse.

No possibility of 2nd season syndrome. He hasn't become any less of a beast overnight.

• Like 1

If only all Spurs fans were that reasonable.

There's always going to be speculation when a player makes such a bold statement (which seems a little sudden) and then suddenly U-turns.

Whether Spurs tapped him up and then couldn't afford him, or whether Benteke and his agent used Spurs for a better pay rise, I think we'll never know. I think something happened, people don't U-turn like that twice in 3 days with standard negotiations.

Samba was the only one to keep Benteke quiet last season, and that was mostly due to a bent ref desperate to keep the QPR media train rolling.

Aside from that, no-one had an answer to him. Even the 'great' SAF with putting Smalling on him with advice to take him out at any opportunity just ended up with Smalling on his arse.

No possibility of 2nd season syndrome. He hasn't become any less of a beast overnight.

Bassong at Norwich kept him quiet.

I must admit I really thought we would not be seeing him again in our shirt. Welcome back to the fold CB that transfer request never happened and it was just a bad dream. Now go and make your dreams happen at Villa Park starting with 20 league goals next season!   

Do you really believe things like that or is that just a fan exaggeration?

Like Drogba he has enough of everything to be classed unplayable, one dimensional players can be stopped more often than not but Tekkers has everything, pace, height, strength and power, a deft touch, good ball control and an eye for the unpredictable, accurate shooting with power and a (so far) decent enough work ethic.

I said it when it looked like we were losing him and I'll say it now he's staying but for me, pound for pound (so far) the best football player I've seen in a Villa shirt and I'm 30 years old (for the record and to give the statement some sort of gravitas).

Barry Bannan 134 lbs

Christian Benteke 180 lbs

Ya checks out! ;)

Just a quick one to say you were virtually to a man correct in your estimation of the chances of him signing for us... I have to admit that once it became clear that Villa valued him as highly as they did it seemed very unlikely we'd get him, the only hope we had was if the Villa board valued him less than you lot. 

I also want to say that I think the Villa board were exactly right to handle it the way they did, not only did they ensure they kept a prized asset they also sent out a powerful message to other players and clubs that Villa mean business and they're on the up: sign for Villa if you buy into the project long-term and not as a stepping stone, and other clubs don't bother **** about because it won't get anywhere.

On the **** about issue, as a Spurs fan I don't think we did **** you about, in the end it seemed all very grown up, you had a price, we had a different one and everyone walks away without any fuss, certainly no weeks and weeks of leaks from Spurs about their intentions or what a great player Benteke is etc etc, the kind of stuff Real Madrid always go in for. I'm not going to say that we definitely would never do it because I can't know that, but I'm relieved we didn't o this occasion because I hate that shit.

Cheers buddy. Do stick around - decent fans of other teams are always welcome. You can represent Spurs; after all, I doubt we'll be seeing joey55 or Glaston for a while. Here's to hoping.

Too embarrassed. 

Like Drogba he has enough of everything to be classed unplayable, one dimensional players can be stopped more often than not but Tekkers has everything, pace, height, strength and power, a deft touch, good ball control and an eye for the unpredictable, accurate shooting with power and a (so far) decent enough work ethic.

I said it when it looked like we were losing him and I'll say it now he's staying but for me, pound for pound (so far) the best football player I've seen in a Villa shirt and I'm 30 years old (for the record and to give the statement some sort of gravitas).

McGrath?

I believe that was a factor, yes.

I don't think he was on the take, so I'm embellishing it slightly, but the decisions that day were certainly more in favour of QPR, and the game was dubbed as the last chance for Harry's boys by the media. The match thread will back me up on the standard of officiating that day.

• Like 2

I believe that was a factor, yes.

I don't think he was on the take, so I'm embellishing it slightly, but the decisions that day were certainly more in favour of QPR, and the game was dubbed as the last chance for Harry's boys by the media. The match thread will back me up on the standard of officiating that day.

I agree with this... I watched the whole game back just the other night and it really is some of the most biased officiating I've ever seen.

I do remember our players getting yellow cards (Baker & Bannan i think) on their first fouls which weren't even bad... and QPR players were repeatedly fouling and getting away with it. 

Â