Christian Benteke

Kwan

Spurs fan here.

It's not so much the wild valuations you're throwing on Benteke I have a problem with; it's more so the outright outrageous comments how we aren't CURRENTLY a lot more successful and bigger than you. 

I can't believe I read a few pages back that the only player someone would take from our team was Bale, absolutely laughable and quite frankly embarrassing. Surely if you know football you'd recognise Lloris, Vertonghen, Kaboul, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Siggy, Holtby to name a few would walk into your team? 

I understand 'rose tinted' glasses syndrome but some of you fans on here are taking it to the next level... Spurs a 'sideways' step from Villa? What the same Spurs who have been in the top 5 the last 4 season running? 

I'm disappointed as a general football fan to not have read more than one or two SENSIBLE comments regarding Spurs as a club and the whole situation. 

All in all, I know it's frustrating losing a player and that's football; we'll no doubt have the same with Bale next season but then we'll recognise Madrid have a bigger allure and stature, something you seem to struggle with.

Rant over, bring on the incoherent, poor rebuttals... Unless there is any sane fans on here?

P.S Sincerely, good luck for next season you're building something here and I'm sure you won't be near relegation again.

To be honest mate, you could be a little delusional yourself.

If success is finishing above another team, then Spurs are more successful than Villa in recent times. But success is generally measured upon winning things, and your cupboard is somewhat bare at this time.

As for 'bigger', there are a number of 'big' clubs in the country, of which Spurs and Aston Villa are but two. All of those of us who languish outside of the top 4 are competing to be best of the rest, something that Spurs have achieved over the past couple of years. That might change next year and another 'big' club might pip you.

With regard to 'wild valuations', any incumbent striker at any club who scores around 20 league goals a season is worth £30m to that club, because financially that can be the difference between staying up and going down, or CL qualification over EL qualification (note the last bit, it could be relevant for you)

Not discussing the merits of your players as I don't know enough about them. However Lloris would not dislodge Guzan from the Villa side.

One of my best mates is a Spurs fan, so always happy for you to do okay, so long as it's not at the expense of us, or with our players.

I bet spurs fans forums dont turn every debate into a villa bashing session.  Why bother going on about them?

Exactly, we should just keep the attack aimed squarely at Benteke. The spurs fans have as much say in things as we do... virtually nothing.

There's no real reason to attack anything I think - Spurs are doing what they should be doing at the moment, get the best deal for Spurs that they can and sod Villa, We're doing what we should be doing at the moment, get the best deal for Villa that we can and sod Spurs and Benteke is trying to find a club that might give him a higher profile, a bigger wage and a chance to perform on to a wider audience - I sincerely believe that all of the contract negotiations with Spurs are complete and have been complete for some time, that's why we aren't seeing other bids - i think this puts Benteke in a weaker position than either Spurs or Villa - the real risk is for him right now.

• Like 3

I don't understand how some Spurs fans can question our pricing of our star player when some have their current star player rated at anything from £80m to £130m. Bale is in the same position Benteke is in, if you compare who is chasing him. He can stay at Spurs and maybe get Champions League football again, or, he can go to Real Madrid and be guaranteed not only playing CL football each season but also having a very good chance of winning it! He would be guaranteed winning at least one medal each season, you'd think. Whereas at Spurs he might make a final of a domestic competition every now and then.

You have to compare what Benteke's value is to Villa. He is our star player and we would have been relegated if it wasn't for his goals and assists last season. That makes him priceless to us and for him to be prised away from us we should be given a substantial amount of money to compensate us for our loss. Bale cost you guys around £10m but Real aren't saying "well you only paid £10m for him so we'll give you £30m and you should be happy to triple your outlay". Just because we paid £7m for Benteke and he has only played one season, it doesn't mean we should be happy to just double or even treble our outlay.

Remember that Bale wasn't the player he is now when he first joined you, he was a raw talent and needed time to develop. Benteke has hit the ground running for us and the sky is the limit for the guy. If he does join Spurs and bangs in 20+ goals and they get into the following season's CL, how much will that have made Spurs in revenue? I am sure that would be priceless to them! If he did score 20+ goals for Spurs and then went on to bang goals in against the top teams in the CL, how much would Spurs value him at if the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern came knocking for him? We sell him for £20m and then Spurs go and sell him for £50m+ in 2 years time and then go even further away from us in terms of financial position. All ifs and buts but it was a big IF and BUT whether he would actually be any good when we took the risk of spending £7m on him last season!

The only way I would allow him to join any club not involved in CL football already for less than £25m is if there was a clause included that said the buying club have to pay Villa £5m with immediate effect if they qualify for CL football whilst Benteke plays for them! In fact, I would even go as far as saying that any buying club should also pay us 10% of any future sell-on fee.

I am sick of us not being able to build a decent side because of the so-called bigger clubs wanting our star players. if Spurs are a big club they should show it and put their money where their mouth is, like the big boys do!

• Like 1

Completely agreed OBE. And we probably won't even be able to believe any eventually mooted figure that appears in the press. Probably because Villa won't want to publicise any compromise if it happens and Spurs won't want their business dealings displayed in the red tops. For me, the most important thing is a sell-on clause because if this guy has another season like the one he just had then Spurs will be looking for £40m in 12 months time.

• Like 1

There's no real reason to attack anything I think - Spurs are doing what they should be doing at the moment, get the best deal for Spurs that they can and sod Villa, We're doing what we should be doing at the moment, get the best deal for Villa that we can and sod Spurs and Benteke is trying to find a club that might give him a higher profile, a bigger wage and a chance to perform on to a wider audience - I sincerely believe that all of the contract negotiations with Spurs are complete and have been complete for some time, that's why we aren't seeing other bids - i think this puts Benteke in a weaker position than either Spurs or Villa - the real risk is for him right now.

If this is the case OBE why not just announce it and start the move for another player? 

Or is the delay timed so we can negotiate for Benteke's replacement without having the piss taken out of us over price? 

Oh. I appear to have answered my own question. 

It also gives some insight (and a reminder) into the fact that most (i.e. 95%) actual transfer activity happens quietly and away from the papers.

I don't understand how some Spurs fans can question our pricing of our star player when some have their current star player rated at anything from £80m to £130m. Bale is in the same position Benteke is in, if you compare who is chasing him. He can stay at Spurs and maybe get Champions League football again, or, he can go to Real Madrid and be guaranteed not only playing CL football each season but also having a very good chance of winning it! He would be guaranteed winning at least one medal each season, you'd think. Whereas at Spurs he might make a final of a domestic competition every now and then.

You have to compare what Benteke's value is to Villa. He is our star player and we would have been relegated if it wasn't for his goals and assists last season. That makes him priceless to us and for him to be prised away from us we should be given a substantial amount of money to compensate us for our loss. Bale cost you guys around £10m but Real aren't saying "well you only paid £10m for him so we'll give you £30m and you should be happy to triple your outlay". Just because we paid £7m for Benteke and he has only played one season, it doesn't mean we should be happy to just double or even treble our outlay.

Remember that Bale wasn't the player he is now when he first joined you, he was a raw talent and needed time to develop. Benteke has hit the ground running for us and the sky is the limit for the guy. If he does join Spurs and bangs in 20+ goals and they get into the following season's CL, how much will that have made Spurs in revenue? I am sure that would be priceless to them! If he did score 20+ goals for Spurs and then went on to bang goals in against the top teams in the CL, how much would Spurs value him at if the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern came knocking for him? We sell him for £20m and then Spurs go and sell him for £50m+ in 2 years time and then go even further away from us in terms of financial position. All ifs and buts but it was a big IF and BUT whether he would actually be any good when we took the risk of spending £7m on him last season!

The only way I would allow him to join any club not involved in CL football already for less than £25m is if there was a clause included that said the buying club have to pay Villa £5m with immediate effect if they qualify for CL football whilst Benteke plays for them! In fact, I would even go as far as saying that any buying club should also pay us 10% of any future sell-on fee.

I am sick of us not being able to build a decent side because of the so-called bigger clubs wanting our star players. if Spurs are a big club they should show it and put their money where their mouth is, like the big boys do!

Cracking post, that sums it up completely.

Simple fact is Spurs want to apply one set of rules to Bale and another to Benteke, utter utter hypocrisy.

If this is the case OBE why not just announce it and start the move for another player? 

Or is the delay timed so we can negotiate for Benteke's replacement without having the piss taken out of us over price? 

I've interpreted what OBE said differently, i.e. the contact negotiations between Benteke's people and Spurs are complete, not those between Villa and Spurs. I would fully expect the former to be the case but I don't believe we have, at this point, concluded any business with Spurs - if they have even lodged a formal bid.

Normally you find on a fans forum there will be a delusional minority but the sensible minority will put them in their place. Example being, Spurs fan 1: We're going to win the league this year. Spurs fan 2,3,4: Don't be ridiculous we will do well to challenge for top 4.

Sadly this isn't the case on here, delusion seems to manifest and be encouraged.

It's not so much the wild valuations you're throwing on Benteke I have a problem with; it's more so the outright outrageous comments how we aren't CURRENTLY a lot more successful and bigger than you.

'etc etc etc etc'

I'm disappointed as a general football fan to not have read more than one or two SENSIBLE comments regarding Spurs as a club and the whole situation.

Rant over, bring on the incoherent, poor rebuttals... Unless there is any sane fans on here?

Your whole rant appears to be because you've misinterpreted a few posters as the majority.

The majority of posters on VT will admit that Spurs are definately ahead of us, currently. They'll also admit that Spurs is a step forward for Benteke.

However, the main points being argued are the value and the time of this transfer.

As Benteke has 3 years left on his contract and probably was the biggest contributor to our play last year, we value him higher than the £20m/£22m amounts being mentioned. Mainly because of what he is worth TO US. £25m-£30m has been mentioned, and this would probably be an acceptable sale price for most people on VT.

With regards to the time of this transfer, we all know that Benteke is destined for better things, but we also thing he's destined for a club bigger than Spurs.

As he has 3 years on his contract, we all thought he might stay an extra year, and move on next summer. (If he had another good season, then it's likely he would go to a bigger club (in England or abroad) and we could still command a fee of over £20m, with him having 2 years left on his contract).

Your comments do feel like you have read the most outrageous posts from the last 10 pages, and taken them as the majority.

Perhaps the 'sane' people on the forum have got bored of the Benteke-transfer talk, and decided not to post in recent days?

I think your post is way off the mark, tbh.

• Like 1

I don't think the negotiations between us and Spurs are finished, not by a long chalk. I think the negotiations between Benteke and Spurs are finished, I think they've gone ahead and done that.

I don't think the negotiations between us and Spurs are finished, not by a long chalk. I think the negotiations between Benteke and Spurs are finished, I think they've gone ahead and done that.

Would that be legal?

Simple fact is Spurs want to apply one set of rules to Bale and another to Benteke, utter utter hypocrisy.

I wouldn't call it hypocrisy.

They are trying to get the best deal they can, both when selling Bale and when buying Benteke. That's just logical.

Â