Christian Benteke

Kwan

I don't understand how some Spurs fans can question our pricing of our star player when some have their current star player rated at anything from £80m to £130m. Bale is in the same position Benteke is in, if you compare who is chasing him. He can stay at Spurs and maybe get Champions League football again, or, he can go to Real Madrid and be guaranteed not only playing CL football each season but also having a very good chance of winning it! He would be guaranteed winning at least one medal each season, you'd think. Whereas at Spurs he might make a final of a domestic competition every now and then.

You have to compare what Benteke's value is to Villa. He is our star player and we would have been relegated if it wasn't for his goals and assists last season. That makes him priceless to us and for him to be prised away from us we should be given a substantial amount of money to compensate us for our loss. Bale cost you guys around £10m but Real aren't saying "well you only paid £10m for him so we'll give you £30m and you should be happy to triple your outlay". Just because we paid £7m for Benteke and he has only played one season, it doesn't mean we should be happy to just double or even treble our outlay.

Remember that Bale wasn't the player he is now when he first joined you, he was a raw talent and needed time to develop. Benteke has hit the ground running for us and the sky is the limit for the guy. If he does join Spurs and bangs in 20+ goals and they get into the following season's CL, how much will that have made Spurs in revenue? I am sure that would be priceless to them! If he did score 20+ goals for Spurs and then went on to bang goals in against the top teams in the CL, how much would Spurs value him at if the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern came knocking for him? We sell him for £20m and then Spurs go and sell him for £50m+ in 2 years time and then go even further away from us in terms of financial position. All ifs and buts but it was a big IF and BUT whether he would actually be any good when we took the risk of spending £7m on him last season!

The only way I would allow him to join any club not involved in CL football already for less than £25m is if there was a clause included that said the buying club have to pay Villa £5m with immediate effect if they qualify for CL football whilst Benteke plays for them! In fact, I would even go as far as saying that any buying club should also pay us 10% of any future sell-on fee.

I am sick of us not being able to build a decent side because of the so-called bigger clubs wanting our star players. if Spurs are a big club they should show it and put their money where their mouth is, like the big boys do!

Cracking post, that sums it up completely.

Simple fact is Spurs want to apply one set of rules to Bale and another to Benteke, utter utter hypocrisy.

Neither Spurs or Villa fans get to set the price or apply rules. For some reason some people in this thread have acted as if we are negotiating price and reacted very negatively. As Toela said, it came across as weird and has prevented a proper discussion. There is a fraudulent tone that still exists as if posters think that those involved in the deal are influenced by what is posted here. This could have been interesting discussion about how transfers really work and the power held by players and agents. But if anyone were to try and point out the real points of influence in this deal, half the posters here would go crazy. I don't see why, as it wont influence anything, as everyone involved in the deal know the score and in my opinion this deal was well under way before it was announced Benteke had handed in a transfer request.

This possibly the most ironic post ever, You came on here stated that in your opinion Benteke is worth 15million and we rate him at 25million, you then went onto say you thought a deal would be done in the region of 16-18million, clearly with those Spurs spectacles on. You caused furore with those stupid comments then say theres something wrong with our tone. The only thing that has happened here is you've been discussing a deal with CB and his agent, not the right channels, but you've done it now. Then expect us to sit back and allow us to sing and dance to Levy's tunes. No one here has said Benteke wouldn't join Spurs, however the arrogance of you in your first post is what started this, you honestly think AVFC will just roll over because we're negotiating with Levy.

Hilarious how he's spent almost a year telling everyone how he loves Arsenal, but now he's desperate to play for their most bitter rivals.

I'm sure his IQ is lower than his goal total last season.

Claptrap!

He mentioned liking them when he was growing up ONCE from memory. How does that constitute spending a year telling everyone he loves them ?

Get a grip man.

you right man i also get tired of the bashing.

So your saying that Christian doesn't deserve the bashing?

no  im tired of ppl saying how bad he suddenly is and ppl who saying that they don't care over and over just to cover themself that they do care. just more evidence that they actually do care. Be happy he doesn't use the law of 1978.

Edited by Belgian guy

I don't understand how some Spurs fans can question our pricing of our star player when some have their current star player rated at anything from £80m to £130m. Bale is in the same position Benteke is in, if you compare who is chasing him. He can stay at Spurs and maybe get Champions League football again, or, he can go to Real Madrid and be guaranteed not only playing CL football each season but also having a very good chance of winning it! He would be guaranteed winning at least one medal each season, you'd think. Whereas at Spurs he might make a final of a domestic competition every now and then.

You have to compare what Benteke's value is to Villa. He is our star player and we would have been relegated if it wasn't for his goals and assists last season. That makes him priceless to us and for him to be prised away from us we should be given a substantial amount of money to compensate us for our loss. Bale cost you guys around £10m but Real aren't saying "well you only paid £10m for him so we'll give you £30m and you should be happy to triple your outlay". Just because we paid £7m for Benteke and he has only played one season, it doesn't mean we should be happy to just double or even treble our outlay.

Remember that Bale wasn't the player he is now when he first joined you, he was a raw talent and needed time to develop. Benteke has hit the ground running for us and the sky is the limit for the guy. If he does join Spurs and bangs in 20+ goals and they get into the following season's CL, how much will that have made Spurs in revenue? I am sure that would be priceless to them! If he did score 20+ goals for Spurs and then went on to bang goals in against the top teams in the CL, how much would Spurs value him at if the likes of Barca, Real or Bayern came knocking for him? We sell him for £20m and then Spurs go and sell him for £50m+ in 2 years time and then go even further away from us in terms of financial position. All ifs and buts but it was a big IF and BUT whether he would actually be any good when we took the risk of spending £7m on him last season!

The only way I would allow him to join any club not involved in CL football already for less than £25m is if there was a clause included that said the buying club have to pay Villa £5m with immediate effect if they qualify for CL football whilst Benteke plays for them! In fact, I would even go as far as saying that any buying club should also pay us 10% of any future sell-on fee.

I am sick of us not being able to build a decent side because of the so-called bigger clubs wanting our star players. if Spurs are a big club they should show it and put their money where their mouth is, like the big boys do!

Simple fact is Spurs want to apply one set of rules to Bale and another to Benteke, utter utter hypocrisy.

Neither Spurs or Villa fans get to set the price or apply rules. For some reason some people in this thread have acted as if we are negotiating price and reacted very negatively. As Toela said, it came across as weird and has prevented a proper discussion. There is a fraudulent tone that still exists as if posters think that those involved in the deal are influenced by what is posted here. This could have been interesting discussion about how transfers really work and the power held by players and agents. But if anyone were to try and point out the real points of influence in this deal, half the posters here would go crazy. I don't see why, as it wont influence anything, as everyone involved in the deal know the score and in my opinion this deal was well under way before it was announced Benteke had handed in a transfer request.

What you seem to fail to grasp is that Villa fans don't come to this site seeking a discussion with Spurs or Liverpool fans they come to discuss things with Villa fans. It you and other opposition fans who come here for that and you are welcome to do so, we as a site welcome away fans. However, let me make this perfectly clear, if you don't like the discussion, if it is too partisan for you, if you think it is unrealistically via biased ect then with the greatest respect please log out and go post elsewhere. There are lots of Spurs site and lots of general football sites.

Just don't come on here patronising people and complaining about the level of discussion.

As I said, away fans are and continue to be welcome but not when they start moaning about the site we are good enough to let you access.

• Like 3

What is weird is despite you explicitly stating you would not post on here again, you have returned at least twice to my knowledge since that.

Even odder is your apparent compulsion to come back to patronise the posters on here regarding what they post and how they do so, utterly deluding yourself that anyone cares what you think on that subject. To use your argument, "I don't see why, as it won't influence anything".

This possibly the most ironic post ever, You came on here stated that in your opinion Benteke is worth 15million and we rate him at 25million, you then went onto say you thought a deal would be done in the region of 16-18million, clearly with those Spurs spectacles on. You caused furore with those stupid comments then say theres something wrong with our tone. The only thing that has happened here is you've been discussing a deal with CB and his agent, not the right channels, but you've done it now. Then expect us to sit back and allow us to sing and dance to Levy's tunes. No one here has said Benteke wouldn't join Spurs, however the arrogance of you in your first post is what started this, you honestly think AVFC will just roll over because we're negotiating with Levy.

I didn't say it would be a simple £15-£18 million. I also said there would likely be huge (£10 mill +) performance related payments. But you constantly ignore this. Also it isn't my opinion on what I think the price should be, it's my opinion on how a compromise could be reached. I clearly stated that would only be "if" a deal could be done. But you ignore this. If you didn't ignore these points there would be no need to get angry. Read the Benteke threads on RAWK, ArsenalMania and Bluemoon and they will give you something to get properly angry about. If you don't like the prices I think might happen wait until you read what the fans of the other clubs linked with him are saying regards price!

I don't expect you to do anything for Levy. You have no say in this deal, in the same way I don't. This is what I find so weird about this thread. 

There was no arrogance in my first post. The is no arrogance in any of my posts. I've not said anything condescending or rude about Villa at any stage. The same can't be said of Villa posters regarding Spurs, but that is their choice and this is a Villa form after all. But I don't see why people need to go out of their way to find offence when there was simply nothing to get offended about. I asked previously for posters to point out what was wrong with what I posted and in response I was misquoted, attributed things I'd never even said and then told to look for myself. I've even seen people replying to my posts as if they are replying to what is claimed I wrote, rather than what I did write.

I think the truth is Villa are in a difficult position and most of the power lies with Benteke and how much he wants to move. The second factor is how much premium potential buyers place in doing a deal early. Basically Benteks and his agents bargaining position is very strong, but no one is discussing this and hence I used the term "false tone." 

I do not understand how Benteke and his agent's bargaining position is very strong

He has 3 years left on his contract at 20k a week

Lambert is not someone to be **** with ask Darren Bent and his 60 - 80k pw salary

What is weird is despite you explicitly stating you would not post on here again, you have returned at least twice to my knowledge since that.

Even odder is your apparent compulsion to come back to patronise the posters on here regarding what they post and how they do so, utterly deluding yourself that anyone cares what you think on that subject. To use your argument, "I don't see why, as it won't influence anything".

I didn't say it would be a simple £15-£18 million. I also said there would likely be huge (£10 mill +) performance related payments. But you constantly ignore this. Also it isn't my opinion on what I think the price should be, it's my opinion on how a compromise could be reached. I clearly stated that would only be "if" a deal could be done. But you ignore this. If you didn't ignore these points there would be no need to get angry. Read the Benteke threads on RAWK, ArsenalMania and Bluemoon and they will give you something to get properly angry about. If you don't like the prices I think might happen wait until you read what the fans of the other clubs linked with him are saying regards price!

I don't expect you to do anything for Levy. You have no say in this deal, in the same way I don't. This is what I find so weird about this thread. 

There was no arrogance in my first post. The is no arrogance in any of my posts. I've not said anything condescending or rude about Villa at any stage. The same can't be said of Villa posters regarding Spurs, but that is their choice and this is a Villa form after all. But I don't see why people need to go out of their way to find offence when there was simply nothing to get offended about. I asked previously for posters to point out what was wrong with what I posted and in response I was misquoted, attributed things I'd never even said and then told to look for myself. I've even seen people replying to my posts as if they are replying to what is claimed I wrote, rather than what I did write.

I think the truth is Villa are in a difficult position and most of the power lies with Benteke and how much he wants to move. The second factor is how much premium potential buyers place in doing a deal early. Basically Benteks and his agents bargaining position is very strong, but no one is discussing this and hence I used the term "false tone." 

Why are we in a difficult position, see this is what people below Watford Services fail to understand, he has 3 years left on his contract. He's asked for a move, we have set a price if we don't get it and he kicks up a fuss, we will happily put him in the reserves. Please see evidence of Bent, Hutton and Ireland. All paid double of what Benteke is paid and are sitting in reserves for one reason or another. So I really don't get how you think we are in a difficult position on this one.

Benteke won't be impressing Wilmots to get in that starting line up from the reserves.

I do not understand how Benteke and his agent's bargaining position is very strong

Lambert is not someone to be **** with ask Darren Bent and his 60 - 80k pw salary

it wansn't so difficult to bank bent because he had Benteke but if he's gonna bank Benteke and bent is gone who will step up and start making the difference between relegation or staying up? 

I think if an offer had come in last year, Bent would've been off. I don't think Lambert was playing it hard with him. Benteke was playing too good to drop.

i reckon this will drag until final day of window unfortuantely

Didnt the club and Paul Lambert state the night in which CB handed in his request, that if our valuation was not met in time then we would be expecting to start the season with CB?

I think we'll keep this stance. We shall we shall not be moved..Pffftttt we wont be dictated to by spuds. Snooze you lose.

no-one is discussing it? I think you're missing the point a bit, I think you're in a minority saying we are in a weak position. Our position is very clear, there is a time limit to reach our valuation. If that doesn't happen then he remains our player. He may well throw a massive hissy fit, go on strike or whatever, in which case he's a clearing in the woods and his world cup ambitions will suffer for it. He may well just knuckle down for a year and then go to a CL team for a big fee after a decent world cup. Which if I was him or his agent I'd be doing anyway, seems an odd time o be pushing for a move to me.

Can somebody just resume the FACTS please? AKA the confirmed quotes and actions. Because 99% of this thread, and other talk on twitter etc.. is basically overreaction and made up.

and what are we gonna do if he buys his own contract off?

IIRC he can't do that until the final 2years of his deal. Bottom line is next season if we don't want him to leave, he ain't going anywhere. :) 

Hilarious how he's spent almost a year telling everyone how he loves Arsenal, but now he's desperate to play for their most bitter rivals.

Claptrap!

He mentioned liking them when he was growing up ONCE from memory. How does that constitute spending a year telling everyone he loves them ?

Get a grip man.

no  im tired of ppl saying how bad he suddenly is and ppl who saying that they don't care over and over just to cover themself that they do care. just more evidence that they actually do care. Be happy he doesn't use the law of 1978.

Would you be sticking up for him this much if he wasn't Belgian?

I think the truth is Villa are in a difficult position and most of the power lies with Benteke and how much he wants to move.

Fair enough, you're entitled to 'think the truth is' that Villa are in a difficult position. I'd like to know how you've come to that belief though. It must be because the player has handed in a transfer request. You seem to assume that weakens Villa's hand. It is my belief that in fact all that does is weaken Benteke's hand. If Lambert and Lerner decide the player has a particular value that must be met (and the club statement suggests they have) and that suitors have a deadline to buy him (see club statement) and that he'll be back in the squad permanently from the 2nd week of August (see club statement) then nothing changes with regards to the player's big long contract and paltry wage. It doesn't actually matter how desperate the player is to move if our chairman and manager will not be moved. The Barry saga shows you Lerner won't be moved and if you doubt Lambert's resolve ... well, then, let's see how that works out.

Basically Benteks and his agents bargaining position is very strong, but no one is discussing this and hence I used the term "false tone."

I'm all for discussing it, but you'll have to educate me on how it's so strong. Ostensibly they have no plausible destination at the moment. Unlike last year when we'd met Genk's valuation, this year he has no concrete deal to push through. We've been as nice as pie to him. We accepted his transfer request and we've set out the conditions by which he will be allowed to leave. And I hate to bring it up but this is a world cup year so if you think he's going to sulk and strike come September then you'll probably be sorely mistaken there too.
  • Like 1

and what are we gonna do if he buys his own contract off?

I don't think he can

"Specifically, it states that any player who signed a contract before the age of 28 can buy himself out of the contract three years after the deal was signed. If he is 28 or older the time limit is shortened to two years."

Well according to someone else on the Raido talking about the Suarez and Liverpool situation it was seemingly appreciated that Liverpool had a reasonably strong negitating position there, because Suarez had 3 years of his contract left.

As Benteke is in the same position i think I tend to agree with him not you.  If this was 2 years or 12 months left on his contract then the situation would be different.  It isn't and it's not.  We have no urgency or desire to sell CB to anyone.  What that means is that you stump up the cash we want or you wait 12 months after Benteke has (hopefully) had a good world cup and good second season in the Prem (increasing his worth no doubt) and then you pay either exactly the same if not more or lose out to a bigger and better team (and there are lots of teams around who are much bigger than Spurs and who would jump at the chance to sign him in those cuircumstances).

The counter argument is that he doesn't have a good world cup and has an ok season (i can't beleive he would be poor or not want to play, particularly in a world cup year!!).  I think it's plain for everyone to see that Villa have, without any shadow of a doubt, confirmed that they are more than happy to keep him at VP and willingly take that risk if our valutation isn't met.

Three reasons why Benteke isn't going on strike at VP this year:

1. We're much bigger than Genk and can afford to put him in his place if needed;

2. It's a worl cup year and he risks his selection to probably the only time he will get to play in a owrld cup in Brazil; and

3. He would get a very bad reputation which would not go down well with the big clubs who he thinks he should be playing for. 

Over to you Mr Levy!  Do your business or get off the pot (and go and annoy someone else).  the choice as they say...is yours!

• Like 1

I think the truth is Villa are in a difficult position and most of the power lies with Benteke and how much he wants to move.

Fair enough, you're entitled to 'think the truth is' that Villa are in a difficult position. I'd like to know how you've come to that belief though. It must be because the player has handed in a transfer request. You seem to assume that weakens Villa's hand. It is my belief that in fact all that does is weaken Benteke's hand. If Lambert and Lerner decide the player has a particular value that must be met (and the club statement suggests they have) and that suitors have a deadline to buy him (see club statement) and that he'll be back in the squad permanently from the 2nd week of August (see club statement) then nothing changes with regards to the player's big long contract and paltry wage. It doesn't actually matter how desperate the player is to move if our chairman and manager will not be moved. The Barry saga shows you Lerner won't be moved and if you doubt Lambert's resolve ... well, then, let's see how that works out.

Basically Benteks and his agents bargaining position is very strong, but no one is discussing this and hence I used the term "false tone."

I'm all for discussing it, but you'll have to educate me on how it's so strong. Ostensibly they have no plausible destination at the moment. Unlike last year when we'd met Genk's valuation, this year he has no concrete deal to push through. We've been as nice as pie to him. We accepted his transfer request and we've set out the conditions by which he will be allowed to leave. And I hate to bring it up but this is a world cup year so if you think he's going to sulk and strike come September then you'll probably be sorely mistaken there too.

....what he said.

Claptrap!

Get a grip man.

Would you be sticking up for him this much if he wasn't Belgian?

would you make the same deal about this if bowery was the one who had 3 years left  and requested a transfer? no then no-one would ever speak about loyalty everyone would be glad they got rid of him. the table has 2 sides u know.

• Like 1

Â