Christian Benteke

Kwan

Benteke has acted like an idiot, hes risked his countries world cup success and the early part of his career......Bent was a £24m player on £65k a week, hes left rotting on the bench.....Even if hes sold for 7.5m in 2 years time he cost us a lot less than Bent has in one year! He a very silly boy. 

Beneteke helped us avoid the unthinkable last season. How much is staying in the premier league worth? Add that figure to the transfer fee we get, and it's a genius piece of business by the club. He was always going to go, so off with him. Let him fight for his place at whatever club he thinks is big enough for him. Let him sit every third game in his rotation system. Let him fall out of form due to lack of consistent playing time. And let Villa buy a AM and a striker and close the f**king book on this whole thing.

How does everyone feel that we are now officially a stepping stone club. Barry, Milner, Young, Downing and now Benteke. I think it's depressing how we can't hold on to players. We lose the most yet others like Everton, spurs, Newcastle to an extent keep theirs.

Not this "little Villa" rubbish again. The clubs you mentioned have all had to sell their fair share of star players in the past.

So Ba didnt sign for Chelsea? Modric didnt go to Madrid? Arsenal didnt sign Arteta? It happens... Only difference is, we have the very likely scenario of being picked off by the lesser, more scummier and leprosy infected versions of those aforementioned clubs.... I.e. Spurs... who essentially are Londons answer to Small Heath (i,e. I cant bloody stand them and loads of people on this site seem to agree with me)

Think you're quoting the wrong post there. That was exactly my point.

How does everyone feel that we are now officially a stepping stone club. Barry, Milner, Young, Downing and now Benteke. I think it's depressing how we can't hold on to players. We lose the most yet others like Everton, spurs, Newcastle to an extent keep theirs.

Not this "little Villa" rubbish again. The clubs you mentioned have all had to sell their fair share of star players in the past.

So Ba didnt sign for Chelsea? Modric didnt go to Madrid? Arsenal didnt sign Arteta? It happens... Only difference is, we have the very likely scenario of being picked off by the lesser, more scummier and leprosy infected versions of those aforementioned clubs.... I.e. Spurs... who essentially are Londons answer to Small Heath (i,e. I cant bloody stand them and loads of people on this site seem to agree with me)

Think you're quoting the wrong post there. That was exactly my point.

I was incorporating the lot... I had your back :-D

What Benteke fails to understand is that the BEST thing for him in a World Cup year is to be playing regular football. The ideal preparation would be for him to lead the Villa line, score another 20-25 goals and go the World Cup full of confidence. I wouldn't begrudge him a move next season but after just one season, I just feel annoyed and angry.

I can't be angry with Benteke. He gave us one great season, we're going to make a substantial profit on him. If the top players are earning 100/200k a week and we have offered him 50k then its understandable he wants to move. Theres no guarantees in football. No way can we keep top players at the moment, we don't pay the wages and we're not in or fighting for a champions league spot.

As much as it pains me, I think tottenham are the perfect fit for Benteke and he for them. Just hope that we don't sell cheaply, add in lots more performance increases and sell on clauses

Edited by mikeyp102

Contracts are there for the both players and clubs, can't moan at a player for not wanting to 'honour' his contract just like I don't enjoy players like Ireland 'honouring' their deal and staying. Contracts give players security and also clubs. Works both ways. Devastating it's happening this summer when things were looking so rosy but he's an unbelievable talent and will do well wherever he goes I'm sure.

Just hope that Lambert is as bitter as most Villa fans at the moment! if that's the case he will not let him go, he has allready provened that he hates slackers and made Ireland,Bent,Given,Bannan and put a few others in their place, Heres hoping that if we don't get the £30M asking price he is made to play for Villa at least till the next window in January and up the price again if he does play and plays well.

Lambert is the puppet master here and Benteke is just a puppet (was going to say muppet! but he's bigger than me.)

I would say the common denominator here is the owner but I won't as I am likely to be attacked for 'having a go'!

I think to figure out a reasonable fee, several things have to be taken into consideration - after all, a transfer fee is simply compensation. Firstly, there's what he's cost us so far (estd 20k pw * 44 plus transfer fee, said to be between £5-7m, total: £7.88m), then there's additional costs associated which include disruption to running the company, cost of identifying a replacement, fee of signing a replacement, signing on fee for the replacement, risk involved in signing a replacement, wages of the replacement and the value of the player to the club.

One could argue that Benteke's value to Villa last season was in the region of 40-50% of the money we'll receive this year for staying in the league against the money we'd have gotten in parachute payments and regular income had we gone down. Then there's the gate receipts of staying up vs. going down, and lost match day income from losing your star player. IIRC parachute payments are £12m a season, compared to the £60m (I think) that every PL side will get at the end of this season. So £48m difference/2 = £24m - the player's value to us last year on the pitch. Gates had we been relegated would probably have been down a bit, but not a huge amount given we don't sell out each match. Maybe £3-4m over the season in match day revenue?

A replacement is always a risk, as there's no such thing as a like for like in football, but the more you pay the more perceived quality you get. Replacing Benteke as closely as possible in terms of value provided vs potential value, would likely cost a minimum of 70% the total figures so far, so (£7.88m + £24m + £4m/100)*70 = £25m. The sell on fee Genk have will also factor in whatever percentage that is, would need to be added separately to the figure. If it's 10%, you add 11% on to the fee (because increased transfer fee means increased % to Genk, the extra 1% covers that), making the overall figure approximately £27.75m

That's got to be our minimum acceptable compensation for selling the player, purely taken mathematically on what he's cost, what he's earned us and his overall value. I assume we'll have figured something similar out internally and arrived at a figure quite close to that

I hope thats the amount we get for him but I can see this turning ugly, especially when Spurs of all people put a derisory offer in. Its inevitable that Benteke (with his agents advice) will throw his toys out of the pram and go on strike. He did the same at Genk, he'll do the same to us.

Which will mean he'll probably go for less than £20m.

If he doesnt get his move, I want Lambert to do football a favour and throw this ungrateful, greedy bastard in the reserves (after giving him a two week fine) and make him crawl back to first team training on his hands and knees.

I'm not necessarily sure we'd  accept much less than the figure above though. Not after breaking everything down and looking at the player's actual value to the club. If that value is more than clubs are willing to pay, well then that's just tough really. I don't think it'll  get ugly because, for once, we've actually got a fair degree of power here

I'd be bitter if he goes, and I'm not embarrassed to say it. If footballers are going to eradicate loyalty from football then I will do the same and hate them for their footballing future. Nothing personal, I just don't want them to do well at their new club.

• Like 1

When is "now"?

We have been a feeder club since at least Yorke left in 1998. The reality is that most of the time over the last few decades we have had players who the top clubs did not want.

Barry, Milner, Young, Downing and Benteke were exceptions to the rule - that we can remember them illustrates how generally the vast majority of our players were fairly ordinary. When each of them left we became more mediocre.

The only way for a club like Villa to breakthrough, is to do it in a season against the odds, if we don't but one of our latest crop does a "Benteke" next season, he'll be off as well. Sadly that is the way the game is now.

As for the teams you mention, how about

Newcastle: Demba Ba, Bassong, Martins, Carroll, Parker and so on

Everton: Arteta, Rodwell, Lescott

Spurs: Modrich, Van der Vart

Generally speaking we have invested poorly in new players for decades and it is hard to think of a time when we have had much quality in our squads that anybody wanted. The clubs you mention have bought better, retained some and often sold on quality players. Our lack of investment over the years in quality players has been shocking.

Benteke leaving hurts because he is a rarity for Villa - a quality player that better clubs want.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Because we are not as good as those teams you listed (except Newcastle but I'm not sure they should be included in your list because I'm not sure who they have managed to 'keep'?). We have to consistently be back at the top to keep our players. It's a bit of a circular argument as we need our players to get to the top, but without buying our way to the top like under MON that's just the way it is.

Remember that we ourselves were poaching players in the MON era. We just need to be established in the top half again and this wont happen so much. The only player we lost when we were in our 'prime' was Barry really

No but we were as good as spurs and everton and we still lost our best players. Also Newcastle have kept on to cabaye (so far), Ben Arfa and Tiote (interest from arsenal last year)

Maybe so, but ive mentioned 5 for villa in the last few years.

Everton lost their manager as well. This isn't a Villa thing, it's football.

I think you will find that David Moyes spent a long time with Everton before moving on to follow the most successful manager in history at Manchester United so your comment really doesn't hold much credence.

If he moves to a big club, will they have the same patience that Lambert did when he first signed for us?  He was a bit of a carthorse for the first couple of months, if he performs like that then he will get relegated to the bench.  I don't really understand the logic of this but hey, he's a footballer.  I guess at least he had the manners to give us a request so he won't get a pay off and we can hopefully get a deal done quickly, as well as line up possible replacements over the next couple of months.  I like the statement the club has put out and I hope we can get £30m.

• Like 1

i feel very cheated and to be fair although every villa fan is grateful he kept us up I think he definitely should of had one more season with us then moved on if he felt he needed to, surely he can see what lambert is trying to do at our club, im truly disappointed in his decision, I honestly thought he would stay one more season, anyway I hope he fails wherever he goes and regrets his decision which will probably be doubtful

Contracts are there for the both players and clubs, can't moan at a player for not wanting to 'honour' his contract just like I don't enjoy players like Ireland 'honouring' their deal and staying. Contracts give players security and also clubs. Works both ways. Devastating it's happening this summer when things were looking so rosy but he's an unbelievable talent and will do well wherever he goes I'm sure.

Exactly

Â