Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Why wouldnt people have him as first choice when he provides assists

This is simply why he needs to play. We didn't create at the best of times last season, Bacuna is an assist provider. Coleman and Baines aren't the best defensively, going forward when on song are brilliant.

1st Choice RB next year?

I hope not, I don't think he's good enough.

He's almost 24 and he's still 'raw'. That's not boding well. 

I'd rather haw a player who is 'raw' and be a bit exciting than some boring oldhead who doesn't take risks going forward.

• Like 1

I'd have him at right back no problem, he is quick and strong but he still has a bit to learn defensively but he is young and can improve. He is the best right back we have had at going forward in a long time.

If Richards plays CB (which I hope not) then yes I'd imagine he'll be our first choice RB as he obviously fits the Sherwood template for full backs. If not a good reserve to Richards.

Ideally I want defensive options as.......

Richards...................Okore....................Clark.....................New Left back like Amavi

Bacuna.....................Senderos/new CB....Baker.................Richardson

O.k it's not amazing but some of those players are decent. Main thing is we score more goals than our record lows of last year to ease pressure on defence.

Not sure what will happen to Hutton. Of the regulars he looks an odd man out to me despite starting the cup final. Did well at times last season but I think if anyone offers 2m we;ll let him go.

Our resurgence under Sherwood only occured when Bacuna came into the team. He nearly always delivers going forward, so perhaps Sherwood has decided to play three centre backs so he can use Bacuna while having a much stronger defence all round. Makes sense to me.

Richards  Okore  Clark

Bacuna  Sanchez  Gueye  Delph  Amavi

This might work?? I always favour a back four myself as I think it's a bit more flexible for the players, but maybe it would work for someone like Bacuna. 

I think it would work even better if we signed Praet and played him instead of Sanchez, then play a 4 across the middle with Praet behind the front 2.

Edited by daggy_333

Richards will start making positional errors at CB before too long just like happened at City, his pace won't keep bailing him out so he'll play at RB at some point this season.

He's not great at CB at all, watch the hattrick Gabby scored against Man. City in 2008 and see how bad Richards was at marking then.

With Richards signing, and as already suggested, we could go for three at the back and use Bacuna as an attacking wingback (which he'd be better at than a full blown RB!)

......................Guzan

........Okore.Richards.Clark

Bacuna...........................Amavi

..............Gueye.Delph

.................Grealish

...........Benteke.Sinclair

That could also go 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1,4-3-3 with Richards going to RB and Bacuna pushing into midfield.

Could also see Bacuna being utilised where Cleveley played last season - he certainly has the engine for that role.

Richards  Okore  Clark

Bacuna  Sanchez  Gueye  Delph  Amavi

This might work?? I always favour a back four myself as I think it's a bit more flexible for the players, but maybe it would work for someone like Bacuna. 

We would be better suited having a good passer like Westwood in there instead of Sanchez as a back 3 doesn't really need protection and Westwood is the one who gets the ball to the attackers quicker than any other midfielder we have, other than that I like that line up.

Richards will start making positional errors at CB before too long just like happened at City, his pace won't keep bailing him out so he'll play at RB at some point this season.

He's not great at CB at all, watch the hattrick Gabby scored against Man. City in 2008 and see how bad Richards was at marking then.

2008 c'mon. he was 20 at the time lol. why would you use this as an example of why a player is bad? or even just pick 1 game

Its like saying koscielny is a bad defender because gabby tore him apart that one game. When hes #1 defender in the prem

Edited by gharperr

So people think a first team defence of Okore and Clark is improvement on last season?

they were the best defensive pairing we have had in a long time, we went to piddle when Clark was injured.

i'm hoping we'll play a back three of them and Micah, with two attacking wing backs maybe Amavi and Bacuna?

• Like 1

So people think a first team defence of Okore and Clark is improvement on last season?

Clark yes, Okore not so much as he had some poor performances near the end of the season but in saying that I'd be happy to start him again after he has had some recovery time and a back 3 with Okore, Richards and Clark could be quality. 

• Like 1

they were the best defensive pairing we have had in a long time, we went to piddle when Clark was injured.

i'm hoping we'll play a back three of them and Micah, with two attacking wing backs maybe Amavi and Bacuna?

I'm hoping Clark, Okore and Bacuna start the season as squad players. I know they did well when came in but I still hope we can sign better for next season. Can't really see long term improvement otherwise.