Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

Yeah his technique is dodgy, we've scouted the only Dutch footballer who can't control a ball seemingly.

The only thing I'd say on that is there are plenty of examples of high energy premier league players who don't have great touch and control but still make a decent career so I wouldn't right him off just yet.

The Mirror ran an article the other week suggesting that Bacuna didn't get along with Roy Keane or something. Could be complete tosh of course but I suppose it's a theory.

It read like it was complete nonsense to be honest. Bacuna being out of the team just coincided with Roy Keane arriving at the club and the mirror are trying to put 2+2 together to fabricate a non-existent story. Bacuna isn't getting game time because we aren't that desperate (yet) and Hutton is back in the fold.

He was a utility man for Groningen, so he left.

We bought him as an attacking midfielder, but then we found out he's got a shocking lack of technical attributes, apart from free kick taking.  So we then stuck him at RB, but because he can't defend well, we stuck him at RW, but then we realised he can't really attack that well either.. So now he's on the bench because there isn't a stand out position for him, so we'll use him to fill in the gaps when we pick up injuries, a bit like Groningen..

Which is probably why "apparently" he wants to move clubs now.

• Like 1

He should play because:

He can score freekicks

He is fast, physical and gets forward

Even if just as an impact sub.

I don't think he is technically that bad, just seems to lack concentration and composure at critical times, but that is probably more down to him being fairly inexperienced in this league.

Edited by VillanousOne

It read like it was complete nonsense to be honest. Bacuna being out of the team just coincided with Roy Keane arriving at the club and the mirror are trying to put 2+2 together to fabricate a non-existent story. Bacuna isn't getting game time because we aren't that desperate (yet) and Hutton is back in the fold.

Regarding the article, yes most likely. Though it does feel like something might be up with Bacuna. He didn't even make the last matchday squad despite Hutton being injured. God knows who would've gone to right-back had Lowton had to come off!

Also, everybody is crying out for us to keep the ball and retain possession.

Bacuna is not the man for that job.

He works hard and can burst forward and chip in with goals. But he is ropey in possession. He isn't the kind of player who will do well at possession football.

We are never going to be anything other than a low-possession side under Lambert though so it is a moot point for now.

Is it?

In plenty of other threads people are moaning that Lambert needs to make us play better football.

But you're saying it doesn't matter because Lambert will never play like that.

I don't see how anybody (and I'm not saying it's you) who wants us to play possession based football could want Bacuna in the team.

Is it?

In plenty of other threads people are moaning that Lambert needs to make us play better football.

But you're saying it doesn't matter because Lambert will never play like that.

I don't see how anybody (and I'm not saying it's you) who wants us to play possession based football could want Bacuna in the team.

I'm not overly obssessed on whether we become a possession based side per se but I'm never going to be content with us being one of the worst teams in the division in that department either. Which I'd say is basically an indicator that we approach most of our games with an inferiority complex.

However, that is the primitive and limited approach that will always be implemented whilst Lambert is the manager and the personnel are pretty irrelevent in regards to that. Bacuna hasn't played at all this season yet we are no better in possession than last season.

So as long as we continue to participate in matches where we have less than 40% of the ball, it is most important that you have players who can defend first and foremost. And for the reasons I gave yesterday, I believe Bacuna is better than Lowton at this. Although Hutton (as average as he is) is better than both so hopefully he'll stay fit once he recovers from this injury.

Edited by Isa

Like a lot of Lambert's signings he was bargain basement and we've got what we paid for. He was refreshing in that he scored some free kicks but in general play he's not going to be consistent enough I wouldn't have thought. A good squad player for where we are at the moment, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on him. We need our back 5 back together ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...

Against Leicester I'd rather a more attacking option like nzogbia or grealish than bacuna in there to work hard.

That's a fair point. In the future I wouldn't mind seeing Bacuna deployed on the wing and Andi up top with Benteke and relieved of his defending duties. But you're right, the Leicester game we shouldn't need to be so cautious.