Jores Okore

Jesperchr

He's still only 20 fortunately, if he's back fit again next year he'll still be very young as a defender. It's more disastrous when an injury like this happens to a striker or tricky attacker. If a player loses sharpness because of it it's easier to disguise as a defender. Having said that, Ruud Van Nistelrooy didn't look to bad after coming back from a similar injury.

Such bad luck both for Jores and Villa's already shaky as a shitting dog defence. Without Okore, we are going to be left with Vlaar, Baker and Clark as our only fit natural centre backs, if Vlaar gets injured again I'll probably be sick. 

No point in discussing bringing in players such as Gallas or Boulahrouz, as we can't register anyone now until 1st January; playing FM reminded me of this, when I accidentally forgot to register players I intended to use throughout the season.

Such bad luck both for Jores and Villa's already shaky as a shitting dog defence. Without Okore, we are going to be left with Vlaar, Baker and Clark as our only fit natural centre backs, if Vlaar gets injured again I'll probably be sick.

No point in discussing bringing in players such as Gallas or Boulahrouz, as we can't register anyone now until 1st January; playing FM reminded me of this, when I accidentally forgot to register players I intended to use throughout the season.

Provided you didn't register 25 players free transfers can still be registered, I would think FM woulda taught you that.

Provided you didn't register 25 players free transfers can still be registered, I would think FM woulda taught you that.

I also dread to think if our tosser of a physio worsened the injury by sending him back on - grounds for dismissal IMO.

Pretty sure once the ACL goes you can't really make it worse :s the words the physio used to me was some people live with it but if you want a active life of playing sports you need reconstruction on you knee.

Gutted for the player

But think people are also over rating him tbh ... In the games I've seen he's been as error prone as Clark or Baker but getting a free ride

He is a great young prospect still learning his trade ... He has the potential to be better than any other CB at the club I just hope the injury doesn't set his career back too far

We didn't expect the finished article in a 20 year old who has never played in the prem.What this season was all about was him feeling his way in the PL & then next season,hopefully he would have improved more.Most people accepted when we signed him that there would be mistakes along the way.

What it has done is messed up our long term plans for the centre of defence & at the very best has put us back 12 months.

While I'm absolutely gutted for us,I'm more gutted for the lad.It was clear from his comments how happy he was to be here,how hungry he was to succeed & how he wanted to be part of the team.If he's not 100% at the start of next summers pre-season,it could throw a spanner in the works for the following season as well.

Wouldn't mind signing William Gallas for a season at all.

Really? A past it footballer, doing the rounds for the last shillings at the fag end of his career. He will be going againist everything Lambert is planning for at Villa, a old player wanting a fat wage before he retires. No chance of Gallas at Villa. No chance at all. I'd rather risk it with Clark and Baker.

Have him on a pay as you play deal, if he has been good enough to play for Spurs for the last two season im sure he can do a job for us when called upon. He has vast experience playing at this level and it would take the pressure of Clark and Baker and maybe even Vlaar.

I agree with AndyM. It's not ideal but we have to make the best out of an awful situation. Are there any better options out there?

Wouldn't mind signing William Gallas for a season at all.

Really? A past it footballer, doing the rounds for the last shillings at the fag end of his career. He will be going againist everything Lambert is planning for at Villa, a old player wanting a fat wage before he retires. No chance of Gallas at Villa. No chance at all. I'd rather risk it with Clark and Baker.

Have him on a pay as you play deal, if he has been good enough to play for Spurs for the last two season im sure he can do a job for us when called upon. He has vast experience playing at this level and it would take the pressure of Clark and Baker and maybe even Vlaar.

I agree with AndyM. It's not ideal but we have to make the best out of an awful situation. Are there any better options out there?

Manuel Friedrich? Not used to the league, obviously, but a very good player, would be cheaper and is a little younger. Khalid Boulahrouz is also available, and is *only* 31. Onyewu was mentioned earlier, but he'd probably be injured within the first couple weeks, too. Would add some physical presence, though.

Gutted for the player

But think people are also over rating him tbh ... In the games I've seen he's been as error prone as Clark or Baker but getting a free ride

He is a great young prospect still learning his trade ... He has the potential to be better than any other CB at the club I just hope the injury doesn't set his career back too far

Woah. You must think Vlaar is dog shit if you think Okore is error prone or are you putting Vlaar's mistakes onto Okore?

I'm talking about misjudging a ball at Chelsea that then bounced over his head .. And being wrong side of the ball / player v Newcastle on sat ... Errors I've not since since I stopped playing Sunday league football .

You sometimes see experienced top-flight defenders making mistakes like that. I remember Richard Dunne doing something similar for Ireland at the time we were giving him rave reviews in his first season at Villa and we had one of the meanest defences in the country (that was before he started getting fatter and more regularly blundering).

I admit I've only seen Okore play once - in that game at Chelsea - but I thought he had a great debut. After that early mistake he settled in remarkably quickly. He looked fast, powerful and competitive and was generally a reassuring presence in defence. I also thought he improved us as an attacking force by driving forward with the ball rather than just passing it sideways/backwards or hoofing it forward, which is what we're accustomed to seeing our centre backs doing. It was maybe no coincidence that before he came on just before half time in that game we had looked totally inept as an attacking force, offering nothing but hopeful punts up to an isolated Benteke, but then looked much better once he was on the pitch.

My general thoughts after that game was that he was a young player who would inevitably make one or two mistakes, but who already had the ability to more than make up for that with his overall play and influence on the team. Even though we ended up unluckily losing that game, that period with Okore on the pitch against Chelsea was actually the best I've seen Villa play against one of the top sides for years. It seemed like we were competing on equal terms rather than just being dominated and hoping to get lucky on the counter. OK, that was maybe not just down to Okore, but I had the impression he was contributing to it happening. I saw him as an energetic presence who was helping to galvanize the team.

We'll never really be able to say how big a miss he'll have been this season, but I would much rather we were in a position to judge how much he was contributing to the team instead of speculating on how much we were missing him.

What a shit weekend

No it wasn't. I got laid.

Twice.

After the weekend we have had I think every villa fan feels like they have been ****, twice, up the arse with a pick axe.

Edited by av1

NormandyVillan, on 17 Sept 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

tonyh29, on 16 Sept 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Kiwivillan, on 16 Sept 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

tonyh29, on 16 Sept 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

Gutted for the player

Woah. You must think Vlaar is dog shit if you think Okore is error prone or are you putting Vlaar's mistakes onto Okore?

I'm talking about misjudging a ball at Chelsea that then bounced over his head .. And being wrong side of the ball / player v Newcastle on sat ... Errors I've not since since I stopped playing Sunday league football .

You sometimes see experienced top-flight defenders making mistakes like that. I remember Richard Dunne doing something similar for Ireland at the time we were giving him rave reviews in his first season at Villa and we had one of the meanest defences in the country (that was before he started getting fatter and more regularly blundering).

I admit I've only seen Okore play once - in that game at Chelsea - but I thought he had a great debut. After that early mistake he settled in remarkably quickly. He looked fast, powerful and competitive and was generally a reassuring presence in defence. I also thought he improved us as an attacking force by driving forward with the ball rather than just passing it sideways/backwards or hoofing it forward, which is what we're accustomed to seeing our centre backs doing. It was maybe no coincidence that before he came on just before half time in that game we had looked totally inept as an attacking force, offering nothing but hopeful punts up to an isolated Benteke, but then looked much better once he was on the pitch.

My general thoughts after that game was that he was a young player who would inevitably make one or two mistakes, but who already had the ability to more than make up for that with his overall play and influence on the team. Even though we ended up unluckily losing that game, that period with Okore on the pitch against Chelsea was actually the best I've seen Villa play against one of the top sides for years. It seemed like we were competing on equal terms rather than just being dominated and hoping to get lucky on the counter. OK, that was maybe not just down to Okore, but I had the impression he was contributing to it happening. I saw him as an energetic presence who was helping to galvanize the team.

We'll never really be able to say how big a miss he'll have been this season, but I would much rather we were in a position to judge how much he was contributing to the team instead of speculating on how much we were missing him.

yeah I agree  .. the point I was making that Baker makes the same mistakes and doesn't seem to get the same slack  ... maybe as they are a little older they are expected to be the finished article but in CB terms they are still at that learning stage as well

I also dread to think if our tosser of a physio worsened the injury by sending him back on - grounds for dismissal IMO.

Care to explain why you feel it's right to label our physio a tosser? and should be fired? ridiculous comment. I think maybe the guy has a clue about what he is doing.

Many injuries can be hard to detect immediately when muscles are warm and passion high. Players have finished games with broken bones and found out the next day. Normal people break their legs and find out several years later when one foot is always a bit different to the other. My friend tore his ACL a few months ago. The road back to recovery is **** up really; you actually work-out heavily for a few weeks to strengthen the muscles before you operate. That is probably why Okore could come on again, because the injury is totally different from other "big" ones. It can feel just like a knock and the joint works OK up until you put weight on exactly one of the ruined points in the knee. Then you know it's ****...

Â