Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Showed good feet and pace against Malaga, but tried to score every time he got the ball.Needs to play on tuesday and be told that he is a team player.Still would persist with him Gabby Benteke and Weimann in the team as it will offer plentyof pace and scoring opportunities.

Don't know if we can risk starting with him. He was a liability today. Maybe pick him against Spurs and see how he does.

He was absolutely atrocious today. Doesn't seem like he has a 'football brain' to me. Hope he comes good, but haven't really seen anything which suggests he will. It's one thing making mistakes, but he persistently made the wrong decision in shooting. You would think he would learn after a couple of shit attempts, but he didnt.

He's a fringe player really, nothing more, nothing less. He still has time to turn it around, but he's made a pretty poor start so far. I'd give him a go against Spurs but he shouldnt be starting league games until he sorts out his decision making, that was a proper crap performance today.

• Like 1

Jeez... give the lad a break. New country, new team, new language.

He's keen to impress which is why he was shooting so much. In a few months time he will have settled and be playing people in rather than shoot.

He'll come good... I have no doubt about that. Just have a bit of patience.

This.

One thing is taking a few shots when you come on as sub when there is 10 minutes left. But doing it throughout a game, when there are better options to pass at times. And your shots are miles of, again and again and again, is idiotic. His lapse of concentration was appalling as well, looked like he was taking a stroll in the park on a Sunday afternoon when he lost the ball once. I don't criticize our players often, but that was a horrible debut. 
However there is talent there so we'll just have to wait and see. But he has to cut out these silly mistakes and get his feet grounded if he is to make it. And that quickly!

*edit: spelling.

Edited by Skruff

I'm not going to be too harsh on him on his starter debut. He obviously had nerves and the pace of the game was doing wonders to his head.

Remember that a lot of people similarly bashed Bacuna on his debut as well. Tonev has talent and is one of a few players on our team that can run directly at the opponent. He isn't a Benteke. He will take some time to adjust.

He was'nt 'atrocious' by any means. Defensively he was ok. But, yes, his general performance was poor.

The mere fact that his movement created the space for those shots should tell us there is a player in there somewhere. He is greedy, too eager and speculative with his shooting, but I would think Lambert is more than capable of beating it out of him. Learn him to pass and he could be very good. ,

I'm not writing him off but from what I have seen is ridiculously greedy. We do not need greedy players in our team.

Our whole ethos is based around a team game and everybody trying to work as a unit, the amount of times I saw players and Lambert getting pissed off because of his antics today makes me think he'll get a slap on the wrists and hopefully he'll stop it.

I understand he wants to impress but wasting as well as costing us possession countless times isn't going to impress anybody.

I hope he changes his ways.

• Like 1

I'm not writing him off but from what I have seen is ridiculously greedy. We do not need greedy players in our team.

Our whole ethos is based around a team game and everybody trying to work as a unit, the amount of times I saw players and Lambert getting pissed off because of his antics today makes me think he'll get a slap on the wrists and hopefully he'll stop it.

I understand he wants to impress but wasting as well as costing us possession countless times isn't going to impress anybody.

I hope he changes his ways.

It's clear that Lambert knows exactly the type of Tonev is. He knows he likes a shot, and if he wanted him to stop it he would have told him to do so by now. Seems to me that Lambert wants him to continue playing his own game instead of putting limits on his play. 

Having said that, he did wind me up a bit today. The 40 yard shot when he could have slipped Weimann in was really frustrating. He had a great chance to score which was put wide too.

That was a truly pathetic display from Tonev, he didn't put a foot right all game. Truly truly shocking. I was so relieved when Sylla replaced him & put him out of his misery. The scuffed shot that trickled towards the corner flag just before he was subbed was totally embarrassing.

Surely he can't play as badly as that ever again can he?

Not sure whether I would give him another chance right now to even find this out.

He was woeful today. Really bad. Any player can have a bad day though. Heck last weekend most of the players were really poor against Newcastle. Today for Tonev nothing clicked.

He needs to just put this game behind him. We won, that's the most important thing but he needs to just knuckle down and try not to take that poor performance to heart to much. It can happen.

He needs to drastically work on his decision making and vision though for me. Focus on those two things.

The funny thing being of course if one of his shots had gone the way he had planned and he would of scored people would be praising his confidence but sadly that's not the case. Fingers crossed he turns it all around :)

Good to hear Lambert was going mad a him, I can't believe that complete watse of footballing possesion was given under instruction. 

Is he one of those players who scores a worldy 1/1000 shots? Well thanks, but no thanks. We want/need those balls passed into Benteke and Gabby, not firing at the corner flags or into the crowd. 

Â