Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Hilariously bad player. Lol. Who the hell scouted this clown ?

Petrov? He needs to score or do something quick or his days are numbered. Can't have Benteke playing him in if he going to miss and never returning the favour.

Somewhere, tucked away in this or the general transfer thread there is a post of mine saying how much I liked his signing.

So far he has looked a massive distance away from the quality needed for the premier league, however willing he is to shoot on sight, and I am thoroughly regretting that post.  :(

didn't like him at all last night, and thought he was much of the cause of benteke's frustration in the first half.... in my mind, his first job is to feed the two strikers, and failing which to look at goal.... he appears to have gotten his priorities arse backwards, resulting in crap shot after crap shot...

if i'm being honest from what i've seen, i can't believe that we loaned marc out, and are starting this guy....

Maybe he'll score 3 wonder goals per season and do shag all else but occupy a space. Some have been clamouring for a Hitzlsperger type to return. Maybe we've found one.

It's EXTREMELY unfair on Hitzlsperger to compare him to Tonev. I'm not usually irrational but I wouldn't mind at all if he is shipped out in January. I'm all for giving people chances but I'm not even seeing these 'glimpses' that other people are. I just hate watching him play. I don't like his style whatsoever and his shooting is a catastrophe.

I would usually be tempted to criticise calling someone 'hilariously bad' but he actually is. His shooting is genuinely funny (and hair-tearingly frustrating in equal measure)

Most of his shots in the Baggies game were actually on target for a change, so I'm not going to be so restrained.

Calling someone "hilariously bad" and a "clown" is completely unnecessary. It was even rounded off nicely with a "Lol". Let's just say that posts like this create a very negative impression of the poster who writes them.

Listen he has a lot of improvements to make. But Ciaran killed him tonight as well. Didn't give him the ball early enough and put him into trouble too many times. But there was the odd flash of a decent player there. Has been much better in training of late and showing sights he is getting up to speed. Think he will enjoy a decent second half to the season

I don't doubt that he'll improve as time passes but you shouldn't have to teach someone his age how to kick a ball. My 8 week old son probably has more venom in his feet than Tonev!

I think he'd be perfectly fine IF he was taught that he doesn't have to shoot everytime he gets the ball.

Seriously, do you think he's ever received a pass and not thought "I can shoot from here"?

I think he's quick, fairly tricky and a very positive player in that he's always looking to break forward and beat a man.

Unfortunately his obsession with shooting is a massive roadblock and is turning him from what could be a decent player into a complete waste of possession every time he touches it.

I think he has potential, but he needs to grow up and use the rest of his team.

I really don't think he was that bad. For the first 20 minutes he was our best player I thought: Fast, and had three shots on target. After that he was rubbish, but so was the rest of the midfield really.

He should be a sub, though, and he will be once Gabby and Weimann are properly fit.

I thought that too. He's done o.k in the last two home games imo, probably away games are too much for him at this moment in time.

He does no worse than CNZ on shooting at goal at every opportunity.

i also agree with this - thought he made a reasonable start then faded

Well his shots are starting to get on target now, which is an improvement. But he should not be allowed to shoot as long as there is a passing option. I'm surprised that his decision making hasn't improved yet, surely it must be something that the coaching team are working with. It's as if the guys suffers from premature ejaculation.

I have no idea what to make of this guy. Talent there but it is raw as hell. More than likely he can come good to us but it really is going to take time for him to grow into a premier league player.

We don't have the luxury of being able to rely on him in the mean time, shows how short we are of attacking options once a few injuries set in. Thought sending Albrighton out on loan was a good idea but seeing how thin the squad is with Gabby and Weimann out makes you wonder.

I would usually be tempted to criticise calling someone 'hilariously bad' but he actually is. His shooting is genuinely funny (and hair-tearingly frustrating in equal measure)

Most of his shots in the Baggies game were actually on target for a change, so I'm not going to be so restrained.

Calling someone "hilariously bad" and a "clown" is completely unnecessary. It was even rounded off nicely with a "Lol". Let's just say that posts like this create a very negative impression of the poster who writes them.

Well I genuinely hope he improves and proves the many doubters wrong. I was very angry with some of his wasteful play again last night. He is currently miles off the required standard.

Probably his best performance last night. Was willing to run at West Brom and attack them. Defensively, he still needs to work on but he's growing in confidence and he certainly has some ability and it's starting to show now that he's not shooting on sight.

It was good to see us take the game to West Brom second half, but to my eyes it all also showed the stark reality of just how exceedingly poor Kozak, and in particular Tonev are.  They may well turn into decent Premier League players (and all the other obligatory "give them time" stuff) but blimey, I very much doubt it.  You could pick a random winger from any League 2 club, and he'd be as good as Tonev I reckon.  Watching him is like watching U10 sides play, where the first thought of every slightly attacking player is to shoot as soon as they get the ball.

With the exception of Benteke, all of our signings have taken more time to perform well than Tonev has been given so far. Westwood, Lowton, KEA etc. all had a lot more game time than Tonev has been getting this year and only after the horrible period over last Christmas did they start to show anything (well, KEA didn't reappear till this season and start playing well) liek the level they currently play. Same is true for Delph and Weimann, not signings but they didn't make a huge impact straight away, it took them time to start playing at the level they reached second half of last season.

We need to give Tonev and Kozak that time before we start writing them off. Delph was written off, Bacuna was written off, lots said Westwood and KEA weren't good enough etc. etc.

They will get better still and so will Tonev and Kozak I reckon. 

He's a low cost version of Charles N'zogbia and I imagine his replacement in the squad.

At least when he's doing these poor shots the thought is at least the player doing that is only costing us 20k a week as opposed to 50k or whatever Zog gets here.

Tonev is a wildcard option. Away games are too much but I think he's been o.k in the last two home games.

I didn't think he did too badly last night. His shots were on target, and I felt that he'd at least get forward whenever he had the ball. There are a lot of improvements that need to be made, but there's talent in there. I don't know how long it's going to take until he's there, but I think he'll be quite useful, though I think that he's going to be more useful as a sub than a starter, someone who'll get forward and have some shots (which are slowly improving).

Tonev.... when I watch him on the pitch I keep thinking that he has no idea what's going on beyond five yards of his nose. He seems like a positive and spirited, yet somewhat selfcentered, player. I think his seeming (lack of) understanding of the game, tactics, positioning and defending is his biggest challenge. I'm fine with his shooting, it's either funny or dangerous, I'm ok either way. But I don't think a hard shot coupled with some speedy hustling is good enough for us. I don't think this guy will ever be good enough, and it's quite sad that a player of this level is starting for us, even if it's because of injuries.

Edited by AVTuco

Â