• Lowton
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Sylla
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Bent (on for Benteke 79)

So fúcking chuffed. I'm never someone to post about my football team on Facebook, but I'm especially tempted tonight. DiCanio's celebration for their equaliser just made it all the sweeter. Unbelievable player, but an easily detestable character. Lowton I've been saying for a while has been my player of the season. He's a special talent. That's a Villa team I can throw my hat on. Reminds me of the team that beat Leeds in the FA Cup thanks to Carbone back in 2000 or so. What a game. Watched it with my father and his girlfriend with a few pints and some wings. Great night... Looking so good for us staying up now. Absolutely delighted

Absolutely buzzin' Villa Park rocked tonight. Matty Lowton has really come of age & was sensational this evening. So pleased for Gabby to get our record Premiership Goalscorer record & it's fantastic that we have finally repaired our goal difference which has set us at a major disadvantage all season.

Fascism has just taken a right good kick in the balls!

At least, for now the arses of Newcastle, Sunderland, Wigan & Norwich fans, management & players can go into overdrive.

The future of their underpants is brown. ;)

Just want to chime in to note how impressed I am with Sylla's athleticism.  I'm not talking footballing skill (though he seems he has some of that), but he's got to be the most athletic player on that pitch tonight.  Pace, quickness, explosiveness.  

Gabby was a battering ram. His touch was not great but he was a warrior for the club - his celebrations said it all.

You have to feel for Newcastle fans. Can't even celebrate their hated rivals getting thrashed because it send them closer to the shit.

1. Atmosphere sounded immense on the Tele (Sunderland fans even saying so here.. http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=778639)

2. Loved the passion in Gabby, really up for this game and not seem him wound up like that for a while.

3. Anyone else have mixed feelings with Di Canio - after his antics at Swindon and pre-game talk to see the gusto of his 19th minute applause definitely made me respect him somewhat.

Half 5 in the bastard morning of my day off and I cant sleep because of this lot......!!!!!

For the first 30 minutes I thought, 'same old shite'. Shaky defensively, poor deliveries etc, 2nd to every ball. Our passing was ok but we werent really doing much with it, Gabby missing golden opportunities and absolutely abysmal crossing.

Then Ron Vlaar scored......... and bar a good Sunderland equaliser, that is by far the BEST footballing performance I have seen from Aston Villa for many many years. I though we were absolutely outstanding. 

We suddenly looked solid. Our passing was quick, purposeful and too a player. We started to deliver some fantastic crosses. We got our shots on target (15 of 18 acc to BBC), and of course, we put the ball in the back of the net.

Well done Villa. Well done Lambert. Here are my ratings.

Guzan: 7 Largely a spectator but still pulled off some smart saves

Lowton: 10 MOTM. Absolutely fantastic set up for Weimann. A constant threat down the right hand side, including some great turns and give and go's with Sylla and Benteke. Sunderland just did not have an answer to him.  Played well at the back too of course. His decision making was excellent. Got rid of it when needed but kept calm and composed (not a word I associate with Villa) at other times. I think the Stoke game has done him the world of good. The kind of performance that if he keeps up - he will be an England regular without doubt. Big Ask though as he was brilliant. Well done Matty Lowton!!

Baker: 7 Looked very shaky at the start but grew into the game. Did not really notice him in the 2nd half which is probably a compliment.

Vlaar: 8 Again, looked shaky at the start but grew into the game. Great strike for the goal. It was a proper heads in the hands moment for me as it looked like it was going to hit Spaghetti Junction the way he ran up. Again did not really notice him 2nd half other than one outstanding tackle. Again, thats probably a compliment. 

Bennett: 8 Thought he played well. Adam Johnson was relatively quiet (again bar a few shaky moments early doors). Seem to grow massively in confidence and got forward very well with some good crosses. Well done Joe!!

Sylla: 9 Thought he was excellent. Some brilliant touches with Lowton in the 2nd half. I thought he was Benteke most of the time with the back heels etc. Adds a bit of steel to the midfield. Love his energy and he is another whos decision making was good. Kept it simple when needed. 

Delph: 8 Cant fault his energy and he played well. I cant stand his Cruyff turns (even when they come off). The 2nd half though, the midfield completely dominated so credit where credit is due.

Westwood:  8 First half hour, I thought my criticisms of him were well justified. Hopelessly hitting passes out of play to the right. Getting out fought in midfield and poor set pieces. He does constantly make himself available though so I cant fault that. In addition, his 2nd half performance was the best I have seen from him. Won the midfield battle with Sylla and Delph. Some great tackles and the passing was purposeful. Also, his set piece delivery improved for Benteke's goal. Well done Ashley.

Weimann: 7 My favourite player but I thought he had a relatively quiet night last night. That said, the touch and finish were absolutely outstanding. Other than that and a couple of half chances, I didn't really notice him. I actually echo some of the posts I saw last week (which I thought were nonsense at the time) that he looks a bit jaded. Would come as no surprise as he has given everything. Whatever happens, he has been a credit to the club and an absolute joy to watch.

Gabby: 8 Very good. Congratulations on breaking Dwights record. Was absolutely all over the place and where he lacked quality, he did not lack fight. Took his goal really really well. I have seen a different side to Gabby the last few months from that of the passed 2 years. Well done Gabby, keep it up!!!

Benteke: 10 A class above anything I have ever seen at Villa Park in all departments. Great hat-trick. Potentially, a proper world class player. We wont keep hold of this guy, Im sure. Missed out on MOTM, because Lowtons performance was more of a surprise. Benteke was outstanding of course!

Bent: 6 Not really on long enough to have a huge impact but was ok. He looks a lonely figure at Villa Park and it can't have gone unnoticed that nobody is questioning his lack of game time any more. Time to get your head down Darren.

• Like 1

How did the atmosphere sound on TV? 

Sounded fecking epic at the game! 

Poor Paulo got some abuse tonight :D

Was listening to Talksport's feed and the fans were in great voice.

It was slightly marred, though, by the commentator's repeated references to the Hole-tea End.

On another note, that game had to be like watching your mother-in-law driving your Porsche off a cliff if you're a Newcastle fan.

• Like 1

great performance against a team who looked surprisingly shit, Johnson Larson and sessegnon all looked poor which meant graham looked even worse

however

for once we looked good going forwards, had a little bit of luck for once, had some great finishing for some of the goals and ripped the sh1t out of them

guzan 8

lowton 9

baker 7

vlaar 8 ( he gets an extra point for his goal)

Bennett 6

westwood 8

delph 8

sylla 8 ( would have got a 9 if he had managed to pass the ball forwards instead of break up several forward moves)

gabby 8 worked harder in the second half, the ball didn't run for him tonight, poor decisions and bad touches but took his goal well and also involved in other goals

weiman 8 like gabby, unlucky with 4 or 5 shots which on another day would go in, great goal

benteke 9 greedy mofo, don't you just love him, marked out of the game first half but still manages a hatrick.. beast

crowd - 10

and breath

Bennett 6 - really!!!!

Lowton was MOTM for me but I've not seen a fullback cover more ground than Bennett did last night. All credit to him after the very shaky start he made to his Villa career. He got out muscled once but apart from that kept Johnson very quiet, looked comfortable on the ball, put in some dangerous crossess and overlapped on every single opportunity. 6 - sheeeesh!!!!!

I thought Lowton, Bennett, Westwood, Sylla and the three forwards were all immaculate

Still buzzing from last night. Stella performances from all 12 players who played. It was great to see some of the younger players really deliver on the potential they clearly have. Overall it was the attitude and commitment that was so much better, Gabby for example was simply immense, The only downer for me was their goal which was a classic example of sloppy defending that has cost us so many goals this season.Beyond that the defence were superb and for once they had a really solid midfield in front of them, Sylla is just a beast,

Finally a special mention to my son who stayed at home to learn his GCSE German (for that read...'Yes I have got to do the German but I really cannot be arsed based on the shit usually served up at Villa Park'). I went with a mate and well......the rest is history. To say he was a bit pissed off is an understatement.

Edited by Harry

Guzan              -C

Vlaar                -A

Bennett            -N

Baker               -F

Lowton             -A

Westwood        -P

Delph               -T

Sylla                -O

Agbonlahor       -T

Weimann          -H

Benteke            -I

Bent                 -S

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 4

Stayed up til 4am to watch a stream of the game out here in Cambodia... With a Sunderland fan!

Not been that happy about a singular game in a very long time, what a performance by everyone! Matty lowts gets my motm for a stunning performance, in both defence and attack just sheer class. Cracking goal from vlaar, great to see all the strikers getting on the scoresheet and Benteke... I want the mans babies! Midfield all played well linked up nicely with each other and their colleagues in front and behind. What a find sylla is looking too! Special mention to joe Bennett who had his best performance in a villa top last night.

Just wish I could've been there, atmosphere sounded incredible.

Â