• Lowton
    • Westwood
    • Delph
    • Sylla
    • Agbonlahor
    • Weimann
    • Benteke
    • Bent (on for Benteke 79)

What a fantastic night . When I  got home  my voice had gone, I was unable to speak. I love VP when the whole place is rocking. I enjoyed turning round seeing the Upper North waving the Blunderland fans home when they started deserting at 4-1 :crylaugh:

Edited by Villaninireland

Guzan - £600k from the MLS

Bennett - £2.75m from the Championship

Baker - Academy

Vlaar - £3.2m from the Eredivisie

Lowton - £3m from League 1

Delph - £8m from League 1

Westwood - £2m from League 2

Sylla - £2m from Ligue 2

Agbonlahor - Academy

Weimann - Academy

Benteke - £7m from the Belgian Pro League

Not bad really.

I think you'll find that a few were even cheaper. I remember one journo saying that the prices of Westwood and Lowton were less than being made out in the wider media. 

I've just re-watched it. Found it extremely interesting watching Benteke's goal from the corner. Every **** corner we've had this season we've floated it to the back post for Benteke to head. You'd think teams would wise up to it and put a man on the back post? Though, thankfully Di Canio didnt put a man there.

Edited by PieFacE

I went to see Simple Minds in concert last night . Got the result on my phone the same time they were belting out  'Alive and Kicking '  .    Great times :-)

Promised You A Miracle

Showing my age now as I saw them live in the 80s. Was a big fan of Japan myself.

1. Atmosphere sounded immense on the Tele (Sunderland fans even saying so here.. http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=778639)

2. Loved the passion in Gabby, really up for this game and not seem him wound up like that for a while.

3. Anyone else have mixed feelings with Di Canio - after his antics at Swindon and pre-game talk to see the gusto of his 19th minute applause definitely made me respect him somewhat.

Their fans claiming we played the atmosphere through the speakers, oh the desperation!

One fan even claims we never take more than 1500 to an away game, well that's strange as I always seem to struggle to get an away ticket!

"yes it was good but their songs are shit" bunch of idiots, I've never been impressed With the atmosphere at Sunderland, oh it must be the acoustics, all the excuses in the book coming out!

Gabby still frustrates me. That moment he got the ball, stood still, then passed it out of play when Bennett was overlapping was quite telling IMO.

Of our three forward players, he's the one that should make way for someone a little more creative.

That was abysmal.

But my word he ran his heart out. Theres no excuse why he cant do that every week though.

I thought sylla was mom..he did the gritty stuff in the middle which allowed ML to bomb in, ML was quality,however i thought their was 11 mom performances,the boys became MEN! great night,great to see VP rocking.IF the fans turned up like last night think how many points might be on the board

You can't expect the fans to turn that on every week. It's only occasionally you get a magical night like that in terms of noise and support etc. not bad at all and it wasnt even a full house

Fans react to the way the team are playing on the pitch. If the team play well then the noise naturally gets cranked up. So I dunno, if we win 6-1 every game we'll always be noisy  ;)

Gabby still frustrates me. That moment he got the ball, stood still, then passed it out of play when Bennett was overlapping was quite telling IMO.

What happened there? It seemed like at first he'd stopped thinking he was going to get called for a foul. Then that didn't happen so he just walked a few steps with the ball, doing nothing -- I almost thought he was going to kick the ball out of play thinking the guy he'd barged off the ball was injured. Then that piss-poor pass to Bennett. The announcer on TV (Pleat, I think) suggested he was showboating. It was puzzling, especially given his performance in the whole rest of the match, which I thought was great.

Absolutely phenomenal.

I was at Uni at the time, rehearsing with a band. My missus and my Dad were watching and texting me updates. Can't even begin to explain the sheer state of euphoria I was in when "5-1 Benteke hat-trick" and "6-1 Gabby" came through. Really wish I'd have been around to watch the match but according to what I've seen on the highlights and from what VTers have been saying, this is the performance we've been waiting for all season. I was absolutely bricking it before this, but that was a result way beyond what any of us expected. 1 more win nearly guarantees us safety, so I'm just hoping that the confidence the team gained from this is used to their advantage on Saturday. UTV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I woke up at 6am on Tuesday morning here, the first thing I did was check the score on my phone. Had to do a double-take! Couldn't believe it!

Went to a couple of news websites to to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Good thing I had put the game for recording. 

Great night, players all up for it, especially after their goal, great reaction from them and the fans, Villa, Villa seemed to do the trick ay?

It really needed them to roll their sleeves up and get into the game and that is what they did, Gabby getting stuck in, I watched him running from flank to flank hassling their full backs into errors, the others did the same all over the pitch and the fans played their part, Sunderland's players crumbled under the pressure.

Lowton was fantastic, I have never seen a fullback performance that good from a Villa player, simple. Benteke after a slow start, being surrounded by 3 Sunderland players most of the time, started to delay his jumps and the Sunderland players started to lose control of him.

My MOTM is Gabby, he may not have the delicate touch that would make him a top top player but last night he wore his heart on his shirt and gave everything, he played like a fan would.

Thank you Gabby, Benteke and all the Villa players and the fans, what a fantastic Monday night, like lol ;-)

Agree with this 100%. Excellent post.

Â