Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Milner's performance during the 09/10 season was the one of the best of any Villa player ever. Period.

Tad OTT in my opinion but each to ones own. One good season doesn't make a legend.

he was class for 3 seasons in a villa shirt

I actually didn't think he was that good out wide. It was only his last season when he was moved to a central position that he really took it to another level.

• Like 1

Milner's performance during the 09/10 season was the one of the best of any Villa player ever. Period.

Tad OTT in my opinion but each to ones own. One good season doesn't make a legend.

1 and a half at most

Sigurdsson would be ace.

Don't think sigurdsson would be a good fit.  Not a great workrate and a tad slow.  The identity of our team now is about energy, effort, pace and tenacity. The one rumour I really thought was perfect was Kiyotake, he would be perfect, but its not gonna happen!

For once, shall we try and sell Ireland to Man City for what we paid for Jimmy and then get Milner in as a makeweight in the deal... it would never happen but we can always dream of giving them a taste of their own medicine.

Sigurðsson might be slow but he has good workrate. He's very professional in that he doesn't drink so he's very focused as well.

A big, big plus would be that he's an excellent set piece taker, both corners and free kicks. That's worth a lot in itself for us I think.

I wonder what Holtby must be thinking, bought just 6 months ago and already in the fringes, same with Sigurdson who was bought a year ago. Both are good players and wouldn't mind either one in Villa.

Edit: fixed typo.

Edited by Jarpie

I wonder what Holtby must be thinking, bought just 6 months ago and already in the fringes, same with Sigurdson who was bought a year ago. Both are good players and wouldn't mind neither one in Villa.

Either of these players would make a good signing for a club like Villa. Wishful thinking methinks.

I wonder what Holtby must be thinking, bought just 6 months ago and already in the fringes, same with Sigurdson who was bought a year ago. Both are good players and wouldn't mind neither one in Villa.

Either of these players would make a good signing for a club like Villa. Wishful thinking methinks.

I would imagine Holtby is a possibility. He can't be on huge wages and cost Spurs very little. Not sure how good he actually is but we could afford him.

For those who keep saying we need a number 10 type player, do you think our midfield is good enough to operate with just 2 players in central midfield rather than 3 we currently do ? I like the idea of 4-2-3-1 but not sure we have the personnell at present to play this formation regularly without leaving our defence too exposed

I'd be happy if we could get a number 10 type player in like Kiyotake that is different to what we have at the moment, but on the provision that they wouldn't be expected to start every game

4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-3, 4-3-2-1... its all the same. Football's not half as complicated a game as people like to make out. We'll be playing a back 4, 3 in the middle, two wingers and a central striker. It doesn't matter if we sign a number 10 or an attacking central midfielder or whatever you feel like calling it. The bottom line is that we could do with some creativity in the side so that we don't rely so much on counter attacking. 

• Like 3

1 and a half at most

you're wrong IMO. 08/09, 09/10 and he was good in that season when we loaned him

Edited by KHV

Milner was very good (or even great) in his last season but Young was IMO worse than he'd been in the couple previous seasons, his head was probably half-gone by the last six months or so.

Young started to get double marked as well so it became harder for him.. I would love both of them back, I think Tekkers would enjoy it too!

I don't think Milner's ever been close to world class. Very good/excellent on his day yes, mainly when we played through the middle

Young was on a different level

It's amazing how neither have looked worth anything like their transfer fees since we sold them on though

I don't think Milner's ever been close to world class. Very good/excellent on his day yes, mainly when we played through the middle

It's amazing how neither have looked worth anything like their transfer fees since we sold them on though

Big fish medium sized pond?

Agree about Young, he actually was world class during a few spells

Big fish medium sized pond?

Agree about Young, he actually was world class during a few spells

But we are still a medium sized pond, meaning he would still be a big fish.

Infact, given our league postion over the last couple of seasons, we are now a smaller pond than the one he left

Edited by av1

Honestly can't believe people are saying Milner wouldn't improve us. His delivery is fantastic, has excellent work rate, strong, great range of passing, good shot and is inventive (not in th way of silva, cazorla etc, but can still split a defence). I've said it before but if he had gone to Utd instead of city, they wouldn't have needed to bring Scholes out of retirement (not saying he is as good as Scholes in his prime). Playing through the middle he would've dominated with Carrick.

In my eyes he would be excellent to bring back, but I think the wages may rule that out.

Siggy at Spurs would do a very good job for us, but again I'd imagine has high wages (don't forget he was seemingly set for Liverpool until a last minute increase from spurs).

Kiyotake comes with a high rep' haven't seen him play myself, but would seem the type of signing we need based on what I've read.

Be an interesting last few days.