Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

i'm hoping with Given possibly on his way to Liverpool that will free up even more wages for another player(s). I'm confindent we will sign someone before window closes.  I think Sakho from Wolves would be a decent signing and from what HH has stated would be within our spend remit

i'm hoping with Given possibly on his way to Liverpool that will free up even more wages for another player(s). I'm confindent we will sign someone before window closes. I think Sakho from Wolves would be a decent signing and from what HH has stated would be within our spend remit

I'm inclined to agree with the first bit of this. We made so many signings and then there has been such a big gap that one must imagine it is because we really did in fact need to shift some before we could sign anymore

Why should lambert be forced to look on the cheap though.

With TV money increased and little amount spent so far you'd have hoped he could sign 1 player at the end of the window for a decent amount.

I'd echo these thoughts.

Penny pinching will only get us so far. Of all our signings, Okore & Benteke look like 2 of the better ones, some more similar players in the £4m-£10m mark would go a long way.

Unfortunately Lambert has had to spend his budget on 6 players rather than 1 or 2.

I'm behind Lambert and his signings 100% but we admitted we had enquired about Kiyotake for example so we clearly wanted him, just couldn't afford him. Not being able to afford a player he wants for about £8m or £9m is a bit annoying, especially as its not like we would buy several for that price.

• Like 2

If there's not much left in the kitty after 

a. our massive cutbacks

b. a net spend of about 10m

c. the new sky money coming in

we might as well pack the **** up

it doesn't add up at all

Edited by Ulver

You never know with PL. We've signed players for less than that, that have made an immediate impact.

Yeah but that was when we had no players Lambert was willing to play :P

It's easier to find a decent young defender for under £5m than a creative player unfortunately. Will just have to see if the last few days being anything.

• Like 1

a) our massive cutbacks

B) a net spend of about 10m

c) the new sky money coming in

it doesn't add up at all

I'm optimistic but I certainly agree after thinking about things.

I'll wait until the window shuts before I worry, not about the team or our manager, but about the financial status of our club.

We've made some serious cutbacks in terms of wages, we've admitted to at least enquiring about one player who would cost around £8m to £9m and we apparently cannot afford that.

We haven't spent as much as last Summer either, so with the cutbacks you would think Lambert is able to spend a bit more at least.

a. our massive cutbacks

it doesn't add up at all

Hmmm, indeed.

I do like the way the club is going, and fully appreciate what Lambert is doing, but this summer has seen us spend less than any of the promoted teams, or those who finished around us last year, with the exception of Newcastle.

holtby was back playing last night, Sigurdsson, £8m please Paul

There isn't anywhere near that amount of money available! ......unfortunately!

Why on earth not? Where's the new TV money? We've been prudent so far this window as it is, and we know that Lambert adds value to the club with almost all of his transfer deals. You would think if he'd identified the right man the board would trust him; unlike other managers, he's proved himself.

Not saying that we'd get Sigurdsson though. For a start he'd cost more than £8m and his wages would be out of line with what we are putting players on at the moment. I'm fine with that, but we should be able to sign SOMEONE. 

I echo these thoughts. 

The thing is an £8m transfer isn't just pay £8m and that's it. You've got to factor in the agent's fees and additional little sweeteners in the deal for the player. Then you're obligating yourself to the wages too, say £40,000 a week for a good player, that's over £2m a year and you're agreeing to repeat that over a 3 or 4 year basis. It all stacks up and when you think about all the money we've got committed to the deadwood in the squad with no guarantee that they won't see out their contracts here then £8m gets swallowed up pretty quick. The crazy thing about modern football is that we as fans now see millions of pounds as a trivial amount of money when they're not and however much we want exciting signings we still have to live within our means so we don't dig another hole that we need more years of turmoil/"transition" to get ourselves out of. 

• Like 1

a. our massive cutbacks

it doesn't add up at all

Hmmm, indeed.

I do like the way the club is going, and fully appreciate what Lambert is doing, but this summer has seen us spend less than any of the promoted teams, or those who finished around us last year, with the exception of Newcastle.

dont think Stoke have spent much either