Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Big clear out in the summer if possible. Don't think we'll offload everyone we want to but in an ideal world i'd let the following go:

Given, Marshall

Dunne, Stevens - Loan, Williams - Loan

Ireland, El Ahmadi, Albrighton - Loan/Sell, Holman, Makoun, Dawkins, Bannan, Herd, Johnson - loan

Bent, Delfouneso

Leaving a squad of:

GK Guzan, Siegreist

DF Vlaar, Clark, Baker, Bennett, Lichaj, Lowton

CM Westwood, Delph, Sylla, Gardner, Carruthers, Grealish

Wingers/FW N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor, Weimann, Bowery

CF Benteke, Burke,  Drennan

That squad would be too light on numbers and experience but it would give some youngsters a chance to get in and around the squad - the likes of Siegreist, Grealish, Drennan, Burke make make a handful of appearances. 

I think Clark could move into central midfield much like David Luiz has at Chelsea (I'm not comparing the two on ability!). 

IMO we need to sign about 3 or 4 players who are aged around 24-28 who have a decent amount of games under their belts and have the potential sell on value. I think a CB, CM, winger and CF are required to boost the side. For me I'd be raiding Belgian players and looking in Holland and across Europe. Clearly this is where the value is - you'd never pick up a player like Benteke in England for £7million and in one season is looking like a £25-£30M player.  

CB: Toby Alderweireld (Ajax) - looks a handy player wouldn't be easy to get him but would be a good addition

Winger: Necer Chadli (Twente) 

CF - Jelle Vossen (Genk) / Wilfried Bony (Vitesse) - only issue with African players is the African nations every couple of years takes them away from the team for a while. 

Not sure on a CM but we could do with an enforcer in the mold of Fellaini/Toure but, again, someone who isn't going to cost the club £20million. Saying that I've been impressed with Sylla, Westwood and Delph lately but I'm still unconvinced we can play with just 2 CMs which is an option we could do with at times. 

I hope the powers that be at the club are thinking somewhere along these lines to reduce the amount of dead wood and to continue signing up and coming players whilst giving our own youth a chance. As long as we stay up of course. 

Big clear out in the summer if possible. Don't think we'll offload everyone we want to but in an ideal world i'd let the following go:

Given, Marshall

Ireland, El Ahmadi, Albrighton - Loan/Sell, Holman, Makoun, Dawkins, Bannan, Herd, Johnson - loan

Bent, Delfouneso

Leaving a squad of:

GK Guzan, Siegreist

That squad would be too light on numbers and experience but it would give some youngsters a chance to get in and around the squad - the likes of Siegreist, Grealish, Drennan, Burke make make a handful of appearances. 

I think Clark could move into central midfield much like David Luiz has at Chelsea (I'm not comparing the two on ability!). 

IMO we need to sign about 3 or 4 players who are aged around 24-28 who have a decent amount of games under their belts and have the potential sell on value. I think a CB, CM, winger and CF are required to boost the side. For me I'd be raiding Belgian players and looking in Holland and across Europe. Clearly this is where the value is - you'd never pick up a player like Benteke in England for £7million and in one season is looking like a £25-£30M player.  

CB: Toby Alderweireld (Ajax) - looks a handy player wouldn't be easy to get him but would be a good addition

CF - Jelle Vossen (Genk) / Wilfried Bony (Vitesse) - only issue with African players is the African nations every couple of years takes them away from the team for a while. 

Not sure on a CM but we could do with an enforcer in the mold of Fellaini/Toure but, again, someone who isn't going to cost the club £20million. Saying that I've been impressed with Sylla, Westwood and Delph lately but I'm still unconvinced we can play with just 2 CMs which is an option we could do with at times. 

I hope the powers that be at the club are thinking somewhere along these lines to reduce the amount of dead wood and to continue signing up and coming players whilst giving our own youth a chance. As long as we stay up of course. 

Not bad I think I would keep albrighton though been unlucky with injuries if he can recapture the form of old he one of the best crossers of the ball I have ever seen. 

Without selling anyone I'd say we still need at least 4/5 players..CB, Dm, Am, Winger/striker, Lb... Obviously then if we sell some (Bent, given) replacements would be needed for these. Another big summer ahead I feel.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us going back in for names previously linked.. Trotter, Stevens, Murphy, Chester (if Hull don't go up)... If backup gk is needed maybe De Vries from Wolves? Wouldn't be too expensive, won gk of yr the yr Swansea got promoted. Outside of that I haven't got a clue and sure that PL will bring out some surprises

Given, Marshall

Bent, Delfouneso

Leaving a squad of:

GK Guzan, Siegreist

Agree with you on the majority of this, but would keep Herd (Highly versatile & underated) & sell N'zogbia because he only ever seems to play one decent game in every 6 or 7. I think the rest of your post is spot on.

I think Herd is versatile and decent, I'm just not sure on his attitude. I've seen him in interviews and seems to have an ego problem. Also the whole thing that happened out in Brum he was involved with. If he can take the bad attitude away he has a lot of potential, but attitude seems to be more difficult to correct than ability. 

Agree on N'Zogbia, would be a player we could probably live without so long as we replace him.

We are in for a biblical clearout of massive proportions whether or not we stay up. There are just so many bad apples on the fringes and players who have been frozen out that will be looking for moves. A fair number will have their contracts paid off I reckon, Given, Ireland and Hutton come to mind.

I can't see anyone in the team we started against Sunderland leaving though. That central midfield position is just massively bloated with huge numbers of mediocre players. Get that position right and we'll be on our way.

With a strong, big defensive midfielder who can boss teams, an experienced central defender to forge a partnership with Vlaar and a genuine box-to-box midfielder who supports the front three with chances and gets in on the goalscoring, this team could finish in the top ten. Add someone to add depth to the front three, and a pacy left back to take the pressure off Bennett and we could go even higher. We should be looking in continental europe really; as previous posters have said that's where the value is. I hope we've had an army of scouts out there this season!

Edited by R.I.C.O.

I'd like Luke Murphy from Crewe. Playmaker, has played with Westy for years and looks a real player.

I have a feeling that's already in the bag, no matter what division we're in next season

Edited by maqroll

We could do with someone to score more goals from midfield.

Agreed. I think if we have a midfield 3 then 2 of Westwood/Delph/Sylla alongside someone who has a bit of an eye for goal would be alright.

We are in for a biblical clearout of massive proportions whether or not we stay up. There are just so many bad apples on the fringes and players who have been frozen out that will be looking for moves. A fair number will have their contracts paid off I reckon, Given, Ireland and Hutton come to mind.

I can't see anyone in the team we started against Sunderland leaving though. That central midfield position is just massively bloated with huge numbers of mediocre players. Get that position right and we'll be on our way.

With a strong, big defensive midfielder who can boss teams, an experienced central defender to forge a partnership with Vlaar and a genuine box-to-box midfielder who supports the front three with chances and gets in on the goalscoring, this team could finish in the top ten. Add someone to add depth to the front three, and a pacy left back to take the pressure off Bennett and we could go even higher. We should be looking in continental europe really; as previous posters have said that's where the value is. I hope we've had an army of scouts out there this season!

Quality Post!

Like someone mentioned previously, raiding The Lowlands again along with France would be my guesses for targets from the continent. I think slightly unlike last year Lambert will look for experience from the British Isles and youthful talent from the mainland.

I was wondering what formation do you think we'll line up for the most part next year (knowing that Lambert more than most likes to tinker with formations to suit the opponent)

Will we be a true 4-3-3 with distinct differences between the midfield and attack?

A 4-2-3-1 where the wingers are in fact forwards with lots of stamina, a keen work rate and ability cutting in from the wings?

Or a 4-1-2-3 with a deep lying mover of the ball in Westwood with two midfielders in front of him?

I'd be very interested to hear others views on this, particularly with regards to the midfield. I think our third midfielder no matter how we play will have to be more attack minded than the guys we have playing there at the moment who are all more defensive and retaining possesion orientated. Are we going to be looking for someone who sits in the gap between the midfield and the striker and plays from there or someone who breaks forward from a deeper position alongside a partner in midfield? It's this third, attack minded midfielder, who I think we're currently missing on our squad and to me is one of the key roles that needs filling in the summer.

How about goals scored & conceded with Bannan on the pitch and without him?

According to his profile on Premier League.com:

24 appearances (6 of those as sub).

6 wins, 7 draws and 11 defeats in those appearances.

25 scored, 45 conceded.

Edited by kurtsimonw

If we are signing lower league players, Dwight Gayle, Luke Murphy, Dale Stephens, Cameron stewart, James Chester would be good players to go for.... but we need some experience first and foremost :)

Edited by Mattyp_avfc

Like someone mentioned previously, raiding The Lowlands again along with France would be my guesses for targets from the continent. I think slightly unlike last year Lambert will look for experience from the British Isles and youthful talent from the mainland.

I think we'll get a blend, the important thing is that they fit the wage structure.  I look at what's happening at Newcastle and worry about us going abroad too much, I hope Lambert continues to pick his targets carefully to get the right mix.

How about goals scored & conceded with Bannan on the pitch and without him?

According to his profile on Premier League.com:

24 appearances (6 of those as sub).

6 wins, 7 draws and 11 defeats in those appearances.

25 scored, 45 conceded. 

These statistics include substitute appearances. 

Bannan's 6 wins come from 6 of his 18 starts. 5 draws come from his 18 starts. 7 losses.

That should read -

6W 5D 7L

As sub

0W 2D 4L