• Delph
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Bowery
    • Weimann
    • Sylla (for Agbonlahor 74)
    • N'Zogbia (for Bowery 82)
    • Bent (for Weimann 85)

stoke are a tough side, one slight lapse of concentration and they will bully you

very good win with a couple of cracking goals, but still pityful that we cant keep a clean sheet, but guzan isnt as good as you lot on here make out?

still, a win is a win

stoke are a tough side, one slight lapse of concentration and they will bully you

very good win with a couple of cracking goals, but still pityful that we cant keep a clean sheet, but guzan isnt as good as you lot on here make out?

still, a win is a win

Unbelievable. 

still, a win is a win

What could Guzan do differently? He was outstanding. Collected every ball. WUM.

Hi everyone. Joined up to Villa Talk yesteday. What a great win today/yesterday!- Wished I went up now. A happy saturday have been too few on the ground this season. We could being clicking just at the right time now- either that or we will lose to Fulham. Brillant goal from Lowton and the whole side looks a threat going forward. Still a bit wobbly at the back though. Maybe just 2 more wins and a draw will see us through?

What a game.

Caught the tram to the pub on 50 mins.

I thought they'd got us when they equalised but I was **** bouncing around when Lowton smashed in that screamer.

Of the last 40 mins I watched of the game I'd give Guzan MOTM. He came for everyball and grabbed it like the last doughnut at a weightwatchers weigh-in.

Lowtons goal took a while to sink in. I overturned the table when I realised he'd hit a goal of such orgasmic dimensions.

Benteke nutmegging Robert 'where's your Berlin wall?' Huth was sublime. I've never felt so confident in a Villa player slipping it in.

Cok guzel bir mac oldu!

• Like 1

Guzan is a fantastic keeper. It's our defense that lets us down.

It is improving though. I think Bennett is starting to look a lot better, no longer the liability he was and makes some good passes. You might have expected him to get bullied by Stoke but he wasn't.

Maybe just 2 more wins and a draw will see us through?

if we win vs sunderland and wigan then i think we'll be more or less there, sunderland and stoke both have harder run ins than us IMO, last week before di canio i was convinced sunderland were doomed after watching them today i really think it could be stoke

They will get better for sure but **** they have had had to grow up fast . Some top quality experienced defenders are a must in the Summer . Baker ,Bennett and Lowton could all be top defenders but we won't know until their mid to late 20's . They shouldn't all be playing together so often under such pressure. They will get better though that is certain.

Hi everyone. Joined up to Villa Talk yesteday. What a great win today/yesterday!- Wished I went up now. A happy saturday have been too few on the ground this season. We could being clicking just at the right time now- either that or we will lose to Fulham. Brillant goal from Lowton and the whole side looks a threat going forward. Still a bit wobbly at the back though. Maybe just 2 more wins and a draw will see us through?

Welcome to Villa Talk. Please check your negativity at the door...(only joking)

Great result today, watched 2nd half in a Pub in Sutton, last ten minutes were mental, almost as good as being there....

Never too confident this season, but today might just have been a turning point

A couple more wins, and we might be there, here's hoping.  

Guzan 8 - Is there a better keeper in Europe which commands the area the way Guzan does? This guy just plucks everything out the air and he's a very solid shot stopper

Lowton 7.5 - Got an assist and scored an absolute worldie, however he was at fault for Stoke's goal. Other than that had a solid game.

Baker 6.5 - Didn't really notice him which is what I want to see from my centre backs

Vlaar 6.5 - Look at Baker

Bennett 6.5 - Gave us a decent outlet in terms of going forward, was very solid defensively.

Delph .6 - Typical Delph performance, put himself about and made a few strong tackles. Was meh on the ball. Made a few good decisive runs.  

Westwood 6.5 - Kept us ticking over, very efficient in possession, defensively was meh. Becoming a vital player for us.

Bowery 6 - Was unlucky to see his shot go wide in the first half and he should've scored in the second. Bowery worked hard today and was a bit of a threat.

Weimann 6.5 - Non stop running, desperately unlucky too see his shot come off the post. Was a constant threat to Stoke, Weimann is vital to our success.

Agbonlahor 7 - Constant threat with his pace. Scored a goal. Gabby looked up for it today.  

Benteke 6 - Apart from the goal was underwhelming, a few neat touches here and there but most of the time he lost possession, was sloppy in his link up play at times, but if he keeps banging them in, then I'm not complaining.

Subs:
Sylla 6 - Looked solid enough

N'Zogbia 6 - Looked lively.

Bent N/A - Didn't have any time to make an impact.

All in all a very good win, both mentally and in terms of the 3 points. We can really push onto Fulham with full confidence.

Edited by Cambridge-AVFC
  • Like 1

still, a win is a win

Depends on how good you think other Villans rate Guzan, personally he's up there with Jimmy Rimmer and Mark Bosnich for me so yes I do rate him very highly, At times this season it's been Guzan V the opposition.

Great win, fanastic goal by Lowton and boy the Villa fans at the game were great, if there is one thing I miss living in Oz is going to Villa away games. You can keep VP though totally different negative experience of boo's and moans for the most part.

Guzan on current form is the best keeper in the Premier League in my view.

Speaking of superlatives, is there a worse player in the league right now than Ryan Shotton? 

Guzan - 9 - Faultless. Brave, decisive, exactly what you need against Stoke.

Lowton - 9 - Perfect play for the first goal. Didn't rush the centre and put it exactly where Gabby needed it. Nothing more needs to be said about his second. Goal of the season to save our season. If he didn't score then we may well have gone on to lose. Fairytale stuff.

Vlaar - 6 - Far too much going back to keeper for no reason. Stood up well and strong though.

Baker - 6 - See above. Bit too Laurel and Hardy with Baker and Vlaar though, not sure why they were so far away from Kightly when he scored.

Bennett - 7 - One of his better games. Tidy and dynamic.

Delph - 7 - Fast becoming my favourite player. Never shirks and is always committed. Not a small amount of skill, too.

Westwood - 6 - Did nothing wrong but nothing amazing either.

Bowery - 6 - I could see why he was there, we needed height for the amount of time Stoke put the ball in the air, due to him we were more competitive pressing higher up. Few wrong decisions.

Gabby - 7 - Gabby never has been and never will be a natural footballer. But he's amazing when he has no time to think.

Weimann - 6.5 - Bit anonymous but should have had a penalty when he was shooting, I think even then Begovic saved it to tip it onto the post.

Benteke - 6 - Strong but out-muscled by Shawcross and Huth, the cheating fecks.

Their first chance came in the 72nd minute. They are a dirty, nasty, awful abortion of a football team and deserve to go down, and keep going down.

I normally agree with your posts as they are generally balance and well thought out, however having just returned from the land that time forgot i have got to say I think Bennett and Westwood deserve higher marks. I voted Westwood as MOTM as he was composed and assured despite the rough house tactics of Stoke, and i thought Bennett had a very good game - as a team we defended their long ball tactics admirably.

Stoke really are a woeful team, we should've put 5 or 6 past them today. At one point Walters and Jones were arguing on the pitch, they don't appear to have any team spirit and even the fans were subdued. We were talking to some of their fans in the car park after the game and they're fearing the worst as the players don't seem to be up for the fight.

I hope for football's sake they drop out of the premiership as they are truly awful and if they are relegated then I take great pride in the fact that we have helped push them through the trap door.

Hey thanks man. I was watching on a dodgy stream and half of the time I couldn't tell who was who so you'll have a much better idea than me.

I'm always a big fan of Westwood and he must have had a good game to hold the midfield with only him and Delph sitting there.

Great win, and dominant display for most of the game with confident passing and good possession.  But there are still worrying signs, given that we looked like throwing it away against the worst side we've seen this season (didn't think anyone could beat Reading to that title).  If you can't make that kind of possession and those chances count against Stoke, you're in trouble against real teams.  Should have been up by several goals before their first real chance.   Why does the team always seem to decide at some point late in every game that possession is no longer important and it's better to try to immediately force a ridiculously difficult pass to the forwards?  Or when the slightest amount of pressure forces the ball back to the halfway line, rather than regroup and work the ball back in it's better under no real pressure to play the ball back to Guzan to hoof it against a bigger Stoke team who have either been beating Benteke to most of the high balls or conning the ref into calling fouls on him all day?  It baffles me.  I knew Stoke was going to score and, if not for a Lowton wonder strike against the run of play (with no insignificant amount of luck involved), it really looked like they were the more likely team to go on and win.  Credit to the lads for getting their composure back after the 2nd goal, and we've certainly been due a bit of late luck, but they sure make it hard to feel that it can't still go tits up over the final 6 games.

Â