• Delph
    • Agbonlahor
    • Benteke
    • Bowery
    • Weimann
    • Sylla (for Agbonlahor 74)
    • N'Zogbia (for Bowery 82)
    • Bent (for Weimann 85)

Just relieved, thought this was very winnable before the game, stoke were even poorer than I thought they would be, but for 15-20 minutes it was as if we decided to help them seeing as they couldn't create any chances or pressure on their own and we did what we've done so many times this season, went from composed and playing well to utter garbage and gave the opposition hope and belief in the process. For once it went our way, last 3 minutes shows how we can do it, we kept hold of the ball and i don't think stoke got near our half, that's how you close a game out, We should be able to do that at 1-0. Now if we could cut out the suicide tendancies we'd be fine.

guzan MOTM for me, strong, commanding and reliable

other notable mentions, Gabby first half, Thought Baker did more than Ok, Weimann was unlucky and gave his usual high energy display, Westwood keeps the team ticking over nicely, Oh and Lowton for that goal, despite struggling with a knock, he seemed determined not to come off.

• Like 1

That was so beautiful, esp after throwing away so many games late on (and having done so in past vs Stoke). We really should've held out at 1-0 - worrying that we conceded in the first & only spell of pressure from Stoke - but it came good in the end. Lowton is gonna become a cult hero at the club!

Sad for Guzan he didn't get clean sheet he deserves. Very commanding today. thought Baker and Bennett did well in defence, Vlaar lucky not to give away penalty but otherwise we stood up well & defended set-pieces v.well. Formation worked 'cause Stoke are utterly incapable in midfield so we could dominate possession even starting with essentially 4 strikers.

Such a confidence booster a late turnaround like that and we definitely now have a lot more momentum than most teams around us - certainly think we should be capable of finishing above at least one of Stoke, Norwich, Sunderland who are all on horrible runs.

Guzan - 9 - Faultless. Brave, decisive, exactly what you need against Stoke.

Lowton - 9 - Perfect play for the first goal. Didn't rush the centre and put it exactly where Gabby needed it. Nothing more needs to be said about his second. Goal of the season to save our season. If he didn't score then we may well have gone on to lose. Fairytale stuff.

Vlaar - 6 - Far too much going back to keeper for no reason. Stood up well and strong though.

Baker - 6 - See above. Bit too Laurel and Hardy with Baker and Vlaar though, not sure why they were so far away from Kightly when he scored.

Bennett - 7 - One of his better games. Tidy and dynamic.

Delph - 7 - Fast becoming my favourite player. Never shirks and is always committed. Not a small amount of skill, too.

Westwood - 6 - Did nothing wrong but nothing amazing either.

Bowery - 6 - I could see why he was there, we needed height for the amount of time Stoke put the ball in the air, due to him we were more competitive pressing higher up. Few wrong decisions.

Gabby - 7 - Gabby never has been and never will be a natural footballer. But he's amazing when he has no time to think.

Weimann - 6.5 - Bit anonymous but should have had a penalty when he was shooting, I think even then Begovic saved it to tip it onto the post.

Benteke - 6 - Strong but out-muscled by Shawcross and Huth, the cheating fecks.

Their first chance came in the 72nd minute. They are a dirty, nasty, awful abortion of a football team and deserve to go down, and keep going down.

• Like 1

great result. 31 points with 6 to play including Man Utd & Chelsea was'nt looking good.

I reckon we'll need 39 points, so 6 points out of 6 should do it. 1 win, 3 draws, 2 defeats

From today, Lowton gets MoM for a great display. Was caught out for Stoke's goal however, as was Bennett at fault  a bit slow to pick up Kightly. Lowton having a great season, future england right back.

Guzan was very commanding again all day.

Agbonlahor would have gotten MOM only for Lowton's goal.

Westwood, Baker, Vlaar, Bowery, Benteke, Weimann decent games.

I have never liked Delph and hope he and Bennett will be nowherenear our first 11 next season if we stay up.

Actually its kinda good we didn't keep a clean sheet. Because by the law of averages we must be due one......so it would have been wasted today........#warpedlogic.......

I think we're due more than one, Clean sheets against Sunderland, Wigan and Norwich and Fulham would be a nice end to the season

We are now 3-1 for relegation on Betfair. A very good day.

Took me about 15 seconds to celebrate Lowton's goal -  could not process it.  :ph34r:

ha, I was the same. I usually run around screaming when we score waking up the neighbours, but when this one hit the back of the net, It didn't hit me for a short while.

I just couldn't understand what i'd just witnessed.

• Like 1

What a massive win. Guzan MOTM for me. I loved the way he commanded his area & releived so much pressure.

We've dragged Stoke & a few others into the mire now. Confident we will stay up, no probs.

• Like 1

Three goals in ONE game,never thought id live long enough to see that happen!

I assume you were born after the Liverpool, Everton and QPR games ;-)

Great win, great strike and great assist for my MOTM Lowton today!

Delph was very good today, although he was having a bit of a lucky day with the timing of his tackles. He wonders why he gets booked so often!

Benteke seems to struggle against very physical defenders and I think Lambert's formation & tactics today bore that in mind. It was almost as if we sacrificed Benteke to bring Gabby & Weimann into play. It worked pretty well: between Weimann, Gabby and Bowery we could have been 4-0 after 50 minutes.

Although we scored after the sub, I thought bringing on Sylla for a forward was not a bad idea because we were conceding possession in the middle quite badly. However, I think he should have made a double change with Zoggy for Bowery at the same time, just to help us keep driving forward rather than play it back for Guzan to hoof it back.

Speaking of which, how amazing is Guzan? From this keeper who used to get bullied by the likes of Stoke & Blackburn to this beast who covers his area like a blanket. And this must be the first game in months where he hasn't had to make at least a couple of world class saves to keep us in the match.

Finally - Lowton. I voted him MOTM purely for that goal. I actually thought he was probably our weakest link in defence, but a goal and an assist will cancel that any day. He will remember that amazing goal for the rest of his life, but then again if he keeps up his average of two screamers a season then maybe he will.

Brilliant feeling to have finished off a team like this.

Guzan - 9 - Faultless. Brave, decisive, exactly what you need against Stoke.

Lowton - 9 - Perfect play for the first goal. Didn't rush the centre and put it exactly where Gabby needed it. Nothing more needs to be said about his second. Goal of the season to save our season. If he didn't score then we may well have gone on to lose. Fairytale stuff.

Vlaar - 6 - Far too much going back to keeper for no reason. Stood up well and strong though.

Baker - 6 - See above. Bit too Laurel and Hardy with Baker and Vlaar though, not sure why they were so far away from Kightly when he scored.

Bennett - 7 - One of his better games. Tidy and dynamic.

Delph - 7 - Fast becoming my favourite player. Never shirks and is always committed. Not a small amount of skill, too.

Westwood - 6 - Did nothing wrong but nothing amazing either.

Bowery - 6 - I could see why he was there, we needed height for the amount of time Stoke put the ball in the air, due to him we were more competitive pressing higher up. Few wrong decisions.

Gabby - 7 - Gabby never has been and never will be a natural footballer. But he's amazing when he has no time to think.

Weimann - 6.5 - Bit anonymous but should have had a penalty when he was shooting, I think even then Begovic saved it to tip it onto the post.

Benteke - 6 - Strong but out-muscled by Shawcross and Huth, the cheating fecks.

Their first chance came in the 72nd minute. They are a dirty, nasty, awful abortion of a football team and deserve to go down, and keep going down.

I think it's about time this Gabby not being a 'natural footballer' line gets laid to rest.

What is a natural footballer exactly? Gabby is strong, quick and very good at keeping hold of the ball. He rarely misplaces his passes and uses his attributes to the best effect. To be determined to build on his strengths over the years is commendable.

More often that not, he finds a team mate with his passes, he can run with the ball, cut inside, go down the line...etc.

He's not amazing, but he is a fantastic asset to us and as each season goes by, his decision making is improving. I for one can see a 'footballer' in there.

Guzan is the man. End of, incredible keeper he's proved to be this season. All the balls he came for and punched and gathered, brilliant.

When that equaliser went in I was fuming, so undeserved, felt like shit like I do most weeks like why cant it just not happen for once. And then you know what happened next, buzzzin now. Great character, this will hopefully be the start of AVFC coming back to some good days, get the season done, get that TV money and build build build.

UTV ! ! ! ! ! !

• Like 2

Â