Sunderland

Richard

Even if the thing with the contracts doesn't happen what I said earlier, the older generation of more 'laxed managers are being phased out and the new one who are probably much more strict replacing them.

The old way of handling the squad should be history and steps taken to get rid of the old habits of hazing, nastier practical pranks etc. I can't believe manager would just turn the blind eye to the potential infighting and cliques forming up as they are certain cause problems on the field too.

I know this isn't Manyoo or Moyes topic but one of the reasons why they chose Moyes was probably that he's probably the similar ball-busting authorative figure how Fergie was who I can't imagine not keeping very strict order and discipline.

There have been disciplinarian managers around for a while now though. Sourness had a reputation for it and Houllier famously kicked the 'Spice Boys' out if Liverpool. Fergie was the same at Man U. I think there will still be relaxed managers around along side the strict ones.

There have been disciplinarian managers around for a while now though. Sourness had a reputation for it and Houllier famously kicked the 'Spice Boys' out if Liverpool. Fergie was the same at Man U. I think there will still be relaxed managers around along side the strict ones.

Oh yeah, true but I can imagine squad handling being a lot of different between old-fashioned managers and the modern ones in other aspects, like using psychology and sport psychologists when dealing with the players and potential problems but I doubt Di Canio would use them :D

I suppose the effectiveness of the manager's disciplinary actions goes hand in hand with the level of respect the manager carries. That itself goes in-turn with the likelyhood of a player stepping out of line under a respected manager.

Obviously PDC has washed his dirty laundry in public, but if it were a SAF or Mourinho vs. players then there's only going to be one winner.

For PDC, I can't see a similar outcome.

I suppose the effectiveness of the manager's disciplinary actions goes hand in hand with the level of respect the manager carries. That itself goes in-turn with the likelyhood of a player stepping out of line under a respected manager.

Obviously PDC has washed his dirty laundry in public, but if it were a SAF or Mourinho vs. players then there's only going to be one winner.

For PDC, I can't see a similar outcome.

Gary Neville touches on this subject in this video.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Clicky...

Titus Bramble blasts Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio: 'he thinks he knows everything, but he has a lot to learn'

Titus Bramble has told Sunderland manager Paolo Di Canio he has an overinflated ego and will rapidly lose the dressing room if he continues to be more concerned with his image than his players.

Bramble is full of praise for Di Canio’s ability as a coach, but was flabbergasted by the way he spoke about, and treated, Sunderland’s players during a volatile first two months in charge. Although Di Canio kept Sunderland in the Premier League, after replacing Martin O’Neill with seven games left to play, Bramble insists he has a lot to learn as a manager.

Bramble was one of the players heavily fined by the Italian towards the end of the season, two weeks wages for missing a weights session he is adamant nobody told him about.  The Professional Footballers’ Association is fighting his case, but the central defender, whose contract at Sunderland expires at the end of the month, disclosed that Di Canio was in danger of alienating the players who remain on Wearside.

"I’ve never played under anyone like him and I’ve played for some of the best managers around,” said Bramble. “Steve Bruce, Roberto Martínez and Sir Bobby Robson. He thinks he knows everything, but he has got a lot to learn."

"He’s got a long, long way to go before he gets anywhere near as good as Sir Bobby Robson. He’s a young manager trying to stamp his mark on things, but he’s making some big mistakes.  He’s targeted the easy players, the ones who are leaving anyway, trying to show he’s the boss. I was fined for not going to a weights session. Everyone else at the club thought it was ridiculous, but he’s trying to be tough."

"The fines he has tried to dish out are way too harsh. I’ve been told by the PFA he did exactly the same thing at Swindon and they fought him then too. He was fine at first, but he’s a strange person.  We all remember what he did as a player, shoving a referee over. He was no angel and players know that. Then he comes in and starts trying to make out he’s an angel and does everything perfectly."

"There are a lot of strong characters in that Sunderland dressing room and he is upsetting them. It isn’t just those who are leaving.”

Di Canio, whose only other managerial experience came at League One Swindon, will probably dismiss Bramble’s comments as the grumblings of a disgruntled player leaving the club, but the 31-year-old is vastly experienced and has never previously fallen out with a manager.

"He’s a good coach on the training pitch," added Bramble. "Everything is so detailed. He’s one of the best I’ve played for in that respect, but his man management skills need a lot of work."

"I never got any impression he was racist. From what I saw of him, he doesn’t care about a player’s colour or creed.  Obviously, we were aware of the fascism thing, and the pictures of him doing the salute in Italy, but I’ve always refused to prejudge anyone and he never gave any indication he held those sorts of views."

Instead, Bramble argued Di Canio’s main flaw is he is too concerned about his own image and not those who play for him.

"He comes out in the media and hammers players and he hasn’t said a word to them. Imagine how Connor Wickham felt when he was told by his family what the manager had said about him [being too worried about how he looks] in the press.  He’s never said anything like that to his face. He’s 19 and the manager is battering him in the media."

"Fine, say that behind closed doors, keep it in house. Managers have a go at players all the time, but in the dressing room or in their office. You don’t see the top managers behaving like he does."

"He seems to be more worried about his image outside of the club, sounding good in the media, than anything else. It’s a dangerous game to play."

buffy-willow-popcorn.gif

• Like 3

"I’ve never played under anyone like him and I’ve played for some of the best managers around,” said Bramble. “Steve Bruce, Roberto Martínez and Sir Bobby Robson

:crylaugh:

btw this article comes across as a bitter player not getting a new contract

• Like 3

"I’ve never played under anyone like him and I’ve played for some of the best managers around,” said Bramble. “Steve Bruce, Roberto Martínez and Sir Bobby Robson

Does it heck. It comes across as genuine and fits in with everything we've been hearing from Di Canio.

He's right about Connor Wickham too. 20 year old lad being slammed in the media by a 44 year old man for what? Sticking a bit of clay in his hair?

Di Canio is a disaster, he'll take them down.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Not at all. He says that he's a very good coach on the training ground.

He might not be the best defender around but from that interview Bramble seems rather down to earth.

• Like 2

"I’ve never played under anyone like him and I’ve played for some of the best managers around,” said Bramble. “Steve Bruce, Roberto Martínez and Sir Bobby Robson."

Poor, poor Martin..

• Like 3

Oh yeah! St. Martin below Potato Head on a list of great managers.

Somewhere in Fleet Street, Ollie Holt is locked in a toilet cubicle, crying his eyes out, rocking gently as he cradles his signed Martin O'Neil press picture.

• Like 4

First sacking of the new season for me.

Can't believe Brucie was mentioned in the same sentence as Sir Bobby. Bet old potato head's already printed that comment hundreds of times and plastering it everywhere.

and on the phone to Titus agent to see if he wants to join ;)

Â