Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

Some years ago there was a (black) South African woman who was a lecturer here at the University. She had fled S.A. because of apartheid. When all that stopped, she took her kids and went home. Stayed about a year, and then moved back to Bradford permanently, having given up due to the crime rate (mugged, house burgled over and over again, etc.)

Oscar Pistorius has murdered his girlfriend. Proof that even a man with no legs has a better shot than Fernando Torres.

LOL I like this one.

This story has brought up a lot of talk about South Africa in general, and I have to say it sounds like a shithole.

Well it's no secret that South Africa is an all round awful country.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

This story has brought up a lot of talk about South Africa in general, and I have to say it sounds like a shithole.

I'm South African and I love the place.

Like most countries it is certainly dreadful in parts, mostly the mining areas, but it is naturally very beautiful. Australia (where I live due to having met an Aussie girl travelling) can't compare for natural beauty imo.

You wouldn't judge the UK based on Bradford or Doncaster.

There's no doubt that there are a lot of dreadful inbred whiteys in the North, particularly around where our buddy Oscar lives. But do try to be a little informed about your generalisations. The history and demographics are very complicated. (For instance the Boer gene pool would be a lot healthier if the British, including my ancestors, hadn't decimated it during the Boer War: Concentration camps are were invented as a way of winning that war.)

AFAIK few people visit SA and come back describing it as you have.

Whatever you hear from South Africans in the UK is hardly going to be an unbiased view: Those people need to believe they have done the right thing by leaving.

Is there anyone here who's actually been to the Cape and thinks SA and South Africans dreadful?

Have a Google for images of Cape Town, Kirstenbosch, Fynbos, Hermanus, the Karoo, the Wild Coast, Kruger National Park, the Drakensberg and check out SOME of the good stuff you're missing.

• Like 1

sounds a bit dodge to me, why would you shoot your gf in your own home? obviously your gonna get caught something isnt right here

Well I doubt if it was a planned crime of the century. Most domestic murders arise out of marital rows that get out of hand. Lost temper (+possible alcoho/drugs) + weapons in the house = disaster. 

I'm guessing neither of you have actually been to SA? Sure, it's a country with some issues but "shithole/awful country" it most certainly is not. Definitely one of my favourite countries to visit.

Anyway, back on topic, will we learn anything tomorrow or will it just be a case of Pistorious entering a plea of not guilty and the subsequent scheduling of a trial?

• Like 1

Â