Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend dead

TrentVilla

/serious post alert

This isn't the first time the police have been called to a disturbance at his house. Again, that means nothing in reality or in evidence other than to suggest precedent and form.

/not so serious post alert
I'd say he wouldn't be allowed those leg things in prison as they're a removable weapon. That makes him a sitting fduck.

I know people who live in South Africa its a very dangerous place to live he has electric fencing around his property and has assorted firearms to deal with intruders

Then again he lives in a run down part of South Africa where criminal activity is high i would not think Pistorius lived in such an area considering his celeb status which makes it strange

I'm not sure as there is such a thing as a 'good area'. From my visits to the country, you begin to notice that all of the better looking houses are in walled communities with high walls, topped by electric fences, signs plastered over the walls warning of armed response in 2 minutes etc. I would imagine, the wealthier folk have slightly higher walls and a few more gun toting security men. I don't think anybody lives very far from a dangerous area, unfortunately there are plenty of them.

It is a different World to what we are used to and makes the USA look like a safe and friendly place.

Edited by AndyClarke

I know people who live in South Africa its a very dangerous place to live he has electric fencing around his property and has assorted firearms to deal with intruders

Then again he lives in a run down part of South Africa where criminal activity is high i would not think Pistorius lived in such an area considering his celeb status which makes it strange

Perhaps he likes being chased?

I know someone from Zimbabwe that says human life in general has a 'lower value' in Africa than in the West. His words not mine. The inference being that it's cultural. So as Andy says, it really is a different world.

Colleague of mine who lived there for 20 years says the same. A mugger or thief wouldn't really worry too much about shooting or stabbing you if you put up a fight. They just don't value a human life the same way we do.

He told me a story once about being woken up in the night to shooting in the apartment block next door. Couple of guys had jumped the fence and were looking to break into cars in the underground car park. Security guard saw them and shot them both dead. Police arrived, had a look around and covered over the bodies. He went back to bed. Next morning he has a look out the window, police had all gone but left the 2 dead bodies on the ground with just sheets over them. They came back in the afternoon and collected them.

He said the general rule was, if your house/apartment is being broken into you have to fire a warning shot into the wall for example. If the burglar doesn't leave then you're entitle to shoot him to protect yourself/property. In reality what happens is the first shot is into the burglar and the second into the wall just so the neighbours can confirm 2 shots were fired.

Couple from fb

Roses are red, violets are glorious, don't try to surprise Oscar Pretorius

Surely Oscar Pretorius isn't the first bloke to wake up legless on Valentines Day... shoot all over his wifes face and imagine it was someone else?

Edited by Tamuff_Villa
  • Like 1

I was in Cape Town a few months ago, probably the richest part of South Africa down by the waterfront, we got mugged at knife point at about 7.30 in the evening. Every house has electric fences and CCTV cameras, wealthy people just don't walk the streets after dark. It really is that bad. 

Â