The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Lets rewind a bit. At the end of the 2009-2010 Randy decides its not going to go any further with MON.

Where did you get that from? Considering he walked out 5 days before the start of the season or is that what you think he should have done.

• 2 weeks later...

So effectively we are averaging £57k/week for the first team and RL wants to trim the average down by £10k/week. Not too unreasonable.

When you consider that Beye is on £40k, Cuellar £35k, Heskey £50k it really starts to add up. If Ireland is cack this season we should also offload his £70k wages too as we can't afford to pay him CL wages for Championship performances.

As long as we replace whoever leaves with decent, younger players on lower salaries I'll be happy. We cannot afford to trim the squad size any further.

when heskey leave sin the summer that 50k he earns will help alot

Infact lets sell all our players, that would save a fortune and immediately trim the wage bill, then no off field staff are required so that helps even more, close the ground and build a load of flats and that would make loads of money :)

We could then take over Tamworth and challenge in the Blue Square

"That will offset the club’s top deals with Gabriel Agbonlahor, Stiliyan Petrov, Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland, who all earn above the average."

Seriously? I knew Ireland was on more than £57k but would be very surprised if the others are. I always thought our top earners were Ireland, Bent and Heskey. In fact, the whole article looks like pure BS.

"That will offset the club’s top deals with Gabriel Agbonlahor, Stiliyan Petrov, Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland, who all earn above the average."

Seriously? I knew Ireland was on more than £57k but would be very surprised if the others are. I always thought our top earners were Ireland, Bent and Heskey. In fact, the whole article looks like pure BS.

Bullshit in the Mirror? It could never be...

So effectively we are averaging £57k/week for the first team and RL wants to trim the average down by £10k/week. Not too unreasonable.

When you consider that Beye is on £40k, Cuellar £35k, Heskey £50k it really starts to add up. If Ireland is cack this season we should also offload his £70k wages too as we can't afford to pay him CL wages for Championship performances.

aye, not unreasonable in the slightest. and our wages will automatically drop to that level when players contracts are up

Ireland 65k

Oh Martin.

The board signed Ireland. They didn’t have to, and they didn’t have to pay him whatever wages he is...

We don't know how intrinsic Ireland coming to Villa was to the deal which was driven by Milner. Only Villa know what other options were available to them, which would have included writing off £20m+ and keeping an unsettled player.

We do know that MON had sanctioned the deal before he left and I do remember the vast majority of VTers, whilst wishing that Milner didn't want to leave, did rate Ireland and the deal.

A prominent Villa fan Sir Mervyn King the Governor of the Bank of England, has just said that he fears that Britain is in the grip of the worlds worst ever financial crisis.

Perhaps we should take note of this and thank our lucky stars that AVFC is owned and run by a man who is determined to make sure that our club lives within it's financial means and survives the world wide financial crisis. Can we not give Randy the credit he is due for acting as a safe pair of hands in very troubled times.

We may not be a top six club, but we are still well up in the chasing pack. Why not put the hatchets away and enjoy the season as it unfolds match by match.

UTV!!!!

Perhaps we should take note of this and thank our lucky stars that AVFC is owned and run by a man who is determined to make sure that our club lives within it's financial means and survives the world wide financial crisis. Can we not give Randy the credit he is due for acting as a safe pair of hands in very troubled times.

this is true statement. Rather have a club in 10 years time instead of going broke chasing glory

But you will get one or two people now criticizing you about Randy 5 year plan, general being a liar and sell to a sheikh

Ireland 65k

Oh Martin.

The board signed Ireland. They didn’t have to, and they didn’t have to pay him whatever wages he is...

We don't know how intrinsic Ireland coming to Villa was to the deal which was driven by Milner. Only Villa know what other options were available to them, which would have included writing off £20m+ and keeping an unsettled player.

We do know that MON had sanctioned the deal before he left and I do remember the vast majority of VTers, whilst wishing that Milner didn't want to leave, did rate Ireland and the deal.

Did they? I remember that signing Ireland was very much a mixed bag.

Seems utterly silly that they sign a player wanted by the manager who has just left? And that they then put him on high wages. Milner might have been ‘unhappy’, but he would have continued to have performed. He did for NUFC when they pulled the deal the first time, so why would it have been different? Had they appointed a decent manager and quickly, who knows Milner might have even wanted to stay?

But anyway the board sanctioned all of the signings on high wages; it isn’t all MON’s fault. Lerner only has himself to blame in the end for not keeping an eye on what was happening.

Ireland 65k

Oh Martin.

Did they? I remember that signing Ireland was very much a mixed bag.

Seems utterly silly that they sign a player wanted by the manager who has just left? And that they then put him on high wages. Milner might have been ‘unhappy’, but he would have continued to have performed. He did for NUFC when they pulled the deal the first time, so why would it have been different? Had they appointed a decent manager and quickly, who knows Milner might have even wanted to stay?

I guess the complexities of these deals are why player swaps very rarely happen.

But anyway the board sanctioned all of the signings on high wages; it isn’t all MON’s fault. Lerner only has himself to blame in the end for not keeping an eye on what was happening.

Absolutely.

A prominent Villa fan Sir Mervyn King the Governor of the Bank of England, has just said that he fears that Britain is in the grip of the worlds worst ever financial crisis.

I find it laughable that you think Randy Lerner, who has been so financially inept during his ownership of AVFC, is now a "safe pair of hands"

theres a good chance the board sanctioned these wages because they were fully aware of what would happen, and did happen, if they refused to

theres a good chance the board sanctioned these wages because they were fully aware of what would happen, and did happen, if they refused to

The attempts to pin this on MON are becoming a bit desperate now - I don't even think that argument is consistent.

It's quite clear from what is happening now who is in control of the finances and salary levels at the club. There's no reason to assume that the board were any less responsible for the wages of players signed during the MON era.

at any club that martin o'neill managed, he held final say on all aspects of the playing staff from contracts to wages. and you've only to look at the financial trouble he left at us, celtic and leicester to see that it's a pattern

Â