The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

first stage cut the costs

second stage sell the assets

third stage ask for the money back

fourth stage administration

Lerner is owed 30 mill. The club cannot go into administration.

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

Ieference to the Irish lions, I just don't know what they're after?

We want Lerner gone from the club probably as much as Lerner wants Villa gone from his portfolio.

He also probably doesn't get a lot of income from owning Aston Villa.

So what's the hostage? It's not money for another Lerner purchase. It's money for the club which we can only assume is spent with Hollis' approval.

And what do they want? Well they want what we all want. Lerner to leave. A campaign so widespread, even the man himself is a part of it.

To summarise, I just don't get it. In order to speed up what Lerner's trying to do anyway, leave, they're threatening to withhold funds from the one thing we're trying to save, Aston Villa.

The problem is and has been that Lerner doesn't want rid of Us as much as we want rid of him. I Don't know why people keep buying into this idea.

The problem is and has been that Lerner doesn't want rid of Us as much as we want rid of him. I Don't know why people keep buying into this idea.

For me the evidence is all there. A football club is purchased out of passion, not to run as a business. He's stopped coming to games, he's put a new chairman in so he doesn't even have to bother with that and we're just sat here costing him money.

Any sane man who didn't share the passion we do as fans would want to run as soon as possible. I might have countered my own argument actually.. 'Sane man' isn't how I'd describe Randy.

8 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

A football club is purchased out of passion, not to run as a business. 

No, football fans want their football club to be purchased out of passion..... It simply isn't like that though. 

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You don't know this though, do you? 

Okay I appreciate the last thing we heard was "Lerner isn't a motivated seller"... but to me, that was just PR spin off the back of reaching an FA cup final. I think it's pretty obvious he wants to leave. No one knows how much the club is up for sale for, some people are saying he's slashed his asking price by half since relegation, others are saying it hasn't budged. I don't really expect Lerner to come out and tell us how much the club is up for either, so really... there's no way of knowing how much he wants to leave, is there? 

But just to add... the bloke obviously is a motivated seller, he's ditched Merrill Lynch and hired a new firm to find a buyer. They are not the actions of someone who doesn't want to sell.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

No, football fans want their football club to be purchased out of passion..... It simply isn't like that though. 

Often it is a bit of both. No one in their right mind would by a football club if financial return was the only driver, the fun ego factor always plays a part

9 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Okay I appreciate the last thing we heard was "Lerner isn't a motivated seller"... but to me, that was just PR spin off the back of reaching an FA cup final. I think it's pretty obvious he wants to leave. No one knows how much the club is up for sale for, some people are saying he's slashed his asking price by half since relegation, others are saying it hasn't budged. I don't really expect Lerner to come out and tell us how much the club is up for either, so really... there's no way of knowing how much he wants to leave, is there? 

But just to add... the bloke obviously is a motivated seller, he's ditched Merrill Lynch and hired a new firm to find a buyer. They are not the actions of someone who doesn't want to sell.

I think King's letter adds support to your argument i.e. he wouldn't have wrote, "It is clear that a sale of the Club to a new owner must be brought about as soon as possible" if Lerner wasn't looking to sell. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

Problem is he wants to sell but the asking price is too much. Ok i buy a house for 200k pump 50k into making it look nice and then leave it to rot for 6 years. Decide to sell for 200k while it looks like a sack of crap, i am not going to sell it am i! You just have to cut your loses im afraid. If he wants 150M for villa he is going to be waiting a long time. Its better to just take the hit in the pocket.

14 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Often it is a bit of both. No one in their right mind would by a football club if financial return was the only driver, the fun ego factor always plays a part

Fun ego factor is a bug difference to passion.

Ran properly, football clubs can make a lot of money.

There is a world of difference between wanting to sell and being a motivated seller.

A motivated seller wants to get shot as quickly as possible, and would be willing to accept any reasonable offer. Motivated sellers often sell below the percieved value because they want out quickly.

Randy could have sold this club already if he was a motivated seller. Offering Villa for £50million would have had no end of offers I'd have thought. 

Changing firms to bring about a sale doesn't suggest to me that he's any more motivated a seller now than this time last season. Actions speak louder than words, and if he is truely motivated to f off now, he'll sell up PDQ

• Like 1

I honestly don't think the buyers are there.

I am hoping that the change of firm selling the club, maybe means thay are targeting a different type of client (after we a different type of club now we are in the championship).

My fear/theory is the club will slowly decline and the asking price will fall to a level where a UK based consortium will be able to buy it.

Pretty sure nothing is imminent on the sale front though.

28 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I think King's letter adds support to your argument i.e. he wouldn't have wrote, "It is clear that a sale of the Club to a new owner must be brought about as soon as possible" if Lerner wasn't looking to sell. 

He wants to sell. That doesn't mean he desperately wants rid of the club. 

35 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

How do we know we've hired a new firm? The only official news is 'he's not a motivated seller.'

I just don't think he's desperate to get rid. We have no impact on his life, we're like an expensive watch sitting in his drawer. He'll sell it if the right offer is made, but most days he forgets about it even existing. 

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How do we know we've hired a new firm? The only official news is 'he's not a motivated seller."

"It can also be revealed that Lerner has dropped Bank of America Merrill Lynch, who were tasked with finding a buyer when the club was officially put up for sale in May 2014, and are now using law firm Squire Patton Boggs" Telegraph yesterday

Edited by Gary Thomas

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He wants to sell. That doesn't mean he desperately wants rid of the club. 

He was desperate enough to pubicaly say he wants to sell the club , the comments since are just to save face IMO as by saying he wanted to sell he appeared desperate and only received low offers

He brought a fairly well run, well respected Established Prem league club he now owns a shambolic loss making Championship side, ridiculed in the media and   is universally hated by fans.Even hiding away overseas he can't get away from he very public melt down of the club and his name being dragged daily through the mud.He wants out and he wants out quickly.Longer this drags on the more money he is going to lose.

Â