The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

You say that, but one of the first things Randy ever said to us as fans acknowledged that football is something different and that he is just a custodian. 

Maybe if he hadn't have said that people would be less angry but he did.

Jesus that was 10 years ago. 

I find it odd when people get angry with PR in football. What I find even more bizarre is people believe it.

Why on earth would a man from America with no football background spend a fortune on us for the sole purpose to look after us?

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

So Apparently Hollis is in extensive negotiations with new potential buyer... Can we assume that Bernstein and King's resignations was not in approval of said buyer?..

or maybe they were in approval but Lerner wont sell to them :detect:

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I find it odd when people get angry with PR in football. What I find even more bizarre is people believe it.

Why on earth would a man from America with no football background spend a fortune on us for the sole purpose to look after us?

I don't care if it was a million years ago. I didn't realise statements had an expiry date.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So there's nothing to debate. What ever anyone says, you'll respond with that he can do what he wants. 

Maybe someone will one day come up with a better argument than 'wel still be here after he's gone' and perhaps my mind can be changed.

Just now, avfcwills10 said:

Does anybody actually believe that a sale is going to happen? 

I believe! And hope at the same time. Lerner is embarrassed, the price is low and clubs are selling again. Gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Why would a wealthy man want to look after a large investment? Yeah no idea. 

You make it sound like owners don't do that. Ambramovich looks after Chelsea, Sheik Monsour seems to be looking after city. Arsenal are well looked after as are many other premier league teams with decent owners. 

we got unlucky going from one word removed to another. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

You make it sound like owners don't do that. Ambramovich looks after Chelsea, Sheik Monsour seems to be looking after city. Arsenal are well looked after as are many other premier league teams with decent owners.

You don't think those people have something to gain for themselves?

Just now, Woodytom said:

You don't think those people have something to gain for themselves?

It doesn't matter. They're looking after the football club they own. They're not running it into the ground just because they own it and can do what they want. 

They've taken on the role of custodian and are rewarded because of how they run it. 

Lerner should have the clubs best interests at heart. But he doesn't and he, as well as us, are suffering because of it. 

35 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I honestly find it very hard to get angry with the guy. I really do.

I obviously recognise his failings but I don't agree with the vile abuse he receives.

Ive always been in the mindset that he's the owner. He can do what the hell he likes with it. And I continue to be confused when people disagree with this. Sure I get the frustration with having to accept that but we don't really have a choice. 

All this protesting 'our club' nonsense is a waste of time imo. He ain't gonna sell because we've attempted to make life difficult for him by holding up a bit of paper reading a message he's no doubt already familiar with. He can't wait to get rid of it and has probably been in that mindset for 3/4 years.

I don't see anything that he gets as a reward for being the aston villa owner and is no doubt as **** off as we are. He probably would just like to be able to hire a group of people that can do their jobs in an adult fashion, without thinking they know best and be able to come to an agreement as a team. 

He probably also expects players on extortionate wages to do as they are bloody well told, act as professional athletes and shut the **** up. 

Like I say, I recognise his failings and he shoulders a fair proportion of the blame. It's just pointless 'attacking' him as I'm certain he is wanting rid.

You can understand why that has taken so long too. I mean who in their right mind will want to buy this crock of shit?

Thats a brave post.....and if nothing else, certainly adds balance to the debate.

its always good to know the facts, before making judgment, but on the surface, this takes Lerner to a whole new level in my book.

I think some of your points do have creedence.....but these people just resigned are honourable people too

Time will tell us what we want to know I guess.

this owner of ours really is a weird one.

If it wasn't so silly.....you would think he is doing it for spite.

blimey, the most ardent blues fan wouldn't do this to us.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

Thats a brave post.....and if nothing else, certainly adds balance to the debate.

What balance is needed? We were relegated as one of the worst teams in league history just days ago. The scales don't need to be balanced out. They should be heavily down on the side of the word removed who has caused it. 

I'm actually amazed, given the season, and our current state, that there are fans who want to defend or balance out the debate on this guy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It doesn't matter. They're looking after the football club they own. They're not running it into the ground just because they own it and can do what they want. 

They've taken on the role of custodian and are rewarded because of how they run it. 

Lerner should have the clubs best interests at heart. But he doesn't and he, as well as us, are suffering because of it. 

But that's not what the original point was about. Sexbelowsound stated that he'd said he was 'just' a custodian which I found was a bit daft to believe. Hence why I said why would he come for the SOLE reason to look after us.

The fact he has made a total arse of making anything for himself is a different point. One that I've never disagreed with .

I don't think there should be any debate over whether he should remain owner of the club, surely we all agree he's run us into the ground, and I can understand a lot of people don't like him or respect him, heck I even get that people can call him names.

But wishing death upon him, even assuming that these people aren't being serious when they say it, is just plain wrong and a little pathetic.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

That's fine. 

I honestly don't see how randy is being rewarded from this. Not saying he deserves rewarding or anything but I find it unbelievable that people seem angry and shocked that in the most part, he puts himself first.

I think because football effects such a large audience emotionally, it is more exaggerated when people are left hard done by. 

Listening to talksport this morning they were really drumming home the question of 'what must it feel like to be a villa fan'.

Actually, it feels exactly the same, we just win less football matches. Were not even less successful trophy wise.

Step away from the emotion and it really isn't THAT big of a deal. 

I honestly don't see how randy is being rewarded from this. He is not.  He ( and we) are paying the price for his bad decisions.

People seem angry and shocked that in the most part, he puts himself first.  But he is the owner (custodian) of our football club and he will be rightly judged on that basis. Villa doing well would actually help him in the long term, but he keeps making poor decisions. I never got the sense he wants to purposely hurt Villa, but his narrow minded incompetence is killing us. 

I think because football effects such a large audience emotionally…. Step away from the emotion and it really isn't THAT big of a deal.  It is all relative, of course, but who would want to strip away the emotion – that is the fun and to do so is just disengagement.  If your not that into it fine, but for many their identities and the club are woven together hence there is a lot of emotion.  As Bill Shankly once said, "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Listening to Talksport this morning they were really drumming home the question of 'what must it feel like to be a villa fan'. Actually, it feels exactly the same, we just win less football matches.  No it doesn’t, not for me anyway. It hurts a lot. I am old enough to remember a very different Aston Villa and, quite honestly, I am tired of taking my son to games to watch us not compete and get hammered. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think that might be the achilles heal in your argument.

You are right of course, if it's legally owned by someone else they can do whatever they lawfully like with it. He can close it if he wants to. He can change the badge and he can change the kit colour to brown. 

But rightly or wrongly, people have invested emotion in going to the football. Those that haven't, now watch Chelsea, or just go shopping, or have got good at computer games.

If we don't invest emotionally, then he only has a failing entertainment franchise that is, frankly, shit.

He'd better hope we do keep it emotional.

I agree with all that but I'm not sure what your point is against my argument?

I've been encouraging ppl to step away and not go and not invest emotionally for yonks. 

If we didn't go, he'd still be able to do what he wants. The likelihood is, ironically, he'd sell which I think is what we all want.

48 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I honestly find it very hard to get angry with the guy. I really do.

I obviously recognise his failings but I don't agree with the vile abuse he receives.

Ive always been in the mindset that he's the owner. He can do what the hell he likes with it. And I continue to be confused when people disagree with this. Sure I get the frustration with having to accept that but we don't really have a choice. 

All this protesting 'our club' nonsense is a waste of time imo. He ain't gonna sell because we've attempted to make life difficult for him by holding up a bit of paper reading a message he's no doubt already familiar with. He can't wait to get rid of it and has probably been in that mindset for 3/4 years.

I don't see anything that he gets as a reward for being the aston villa owner and is no doubt as **** off as we are. He probably would just like to be able to hire a group of people that can do their jobs in an adult fashion, without thinking they know best and be able to come to an agreement as a team. 

He probably also expects players on extortionate wages to do as they are bloody well told, act as professional athletes and shut the **** up. 

Like I say, I recognise his failings and he shoulders a fair proportion of the blame. It's just pointless 'attacking' him as I'm certain he is wanting rid.

You can understand why that has taken so long too. I mean who in their right mind will want to buy this crock of shit?

So... you find it easy to hate Ashley Westwood, and he deserves everything he gets, but Randy Lerner doesn't?

ha. ha.

• Like 1

Â