The Randy Lerner thread

CI

@blandyI haven't been to a single game this season. That's the first time that's happened in like, forever. I've had years where I've only managed 2 or 3 games and have gone specifically so as not to have missed a whole season. But I've never been totally absent.

I used to spend my modest little marketing budget taking people to the footy, be it just the game, or various levels of corporate. I've gone from spending on 6 people dining at the game, to just having a Villa scarf or keyring off my mum at Christmas. 

But Villa is still my team and they still have the capacity to make me angry on a Saturday afternoon and influence my TV viewing on a Saturday evening. I still haven't binned my little collection of free flags yet.

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Thats a brave post.....and if nothing else, certainly adds balance to the debate.

its always good to know the facts, before making judgment, but on the surface, this takes Lerner to a whole new level in my book.

I think some of your points do have creedence.....but these people just resigned are honourable people too

Time will tell us what we want to know I guess.

this owner of ours really is a weird one.

If it wasn't so silly.....you would think he is doing it for spite.

blimey, the most ardent blues fan wouldn't do this to us.

I know what you mean, but I don't think it's brave. Just honest and like you say - adds balance of which there is very little towards Lerner. 

For example - and I'm not pinpointing you (I think your posts are well constructed and thought out fwiw) let's say it comes out that Lerner wouldn't make the funds available that the board wanted........

I guarantee the overiding opinion on here would be that Lerner is every name under the son.

Hang on a minute............Two board members..... who have been in the job what, 4 weeks?......... decide they're going to resign because they don't want to work in the financial restraints that might prove to be best for the club in the long run?..... well they can go for me.

Now of course, people would argue that continuing to cut costs might not be the best thing and of course they may be right..... but it's roll the dice time. We're in an extremely precarious position I would imagine, where the next move is crucial. Whatever decision we make we need everyone singing from the same hymn sheet and Lerner will no doubt be reading that hymn sheet. As he's the owner.

Now, it might have nothing to do with money but whatever it is, it's very easy to just call Lerner a clearing in the woods. All a bit naive and uninformed that imo tho.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But he seems to be fairly apathetic towards Lerner, who is the cause of all that negativity.

Randy Lerner has not gone out and purchased players who can't throw a ball to one another or clear their lines. They wouldn't have been in their original position if they couldnt get the basics right.

More so, he hasn't hired coaches who can't coach players to throw a ball to each other.

He really hasn't 'caused' players to be so poor.

Maybe if he knocked down the training ground and made them train on the m6, you could blame him for that but the facilities are top of the range.

Yes he oversees the club but he hasn't caused these players to be so poor, which is essentially why we are down. 

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

One thing is now clear.

A Yes man who has no idea about doing a job at a Football club (Manager, CEO, Board....whatever) stay for a payoff.

I  genuine man in a position who knows what he's doing, gives his opinion, then realises he's not being

1) left to do what he's employed to do

&

2) listened to, when he gives his opinion,

Resigns with dignity.

Lerner will only ever "get on " with people who don't know better than him, thus, being just there for the ride.

The thought occured to me long ago, that a "serious" person, be it a board member, Manager or staff, would never come to Villa unless he was "lied" into it (Remi Garde) or trusted Lerner not to move the Goalposts (Bernstein & King).

I guess it's fair to say that with all the evidence laid before us of the last seasons and all the decisions made by RL, He has proved himself to be

1) Of little intellegence regarding running a football club

2) a liar

3) Deceptful

• Like 1

Just now, Woodytom said:

Randy Lerner has not gone out and purchased players who can't throw a ball to one another or clear their lines. They wouldn't have been in their original position if they could get the basics right.

More so, he hasn't hired coaches who can't coach players to throw a ball to each other.

He really hasn't 'caused' players to be so poor.

Maybe if he knocked down the training ground and made them train on the m6, you could blame him for that but the facilities are top of the range.

Yes he oversees the club but he hasn't caused these players to be so poor, which is essentially why we are down. 

Amazing, really. 

You can't see how Lerner's mismanagement of the club as a whole has led to all of those things?

Do you think things would have been exactly the same under a better chairman?

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

'Your opinion is naive and uninformed yet my opinion based on my own guesswork is correct'

Ok

Where did I say I was correct?

Oh I even added 'imo' because yes I'm acknowledging that I'm not fully informed either.

As long as you're still reading posts fully Stefan......

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

You can't see how Lerner's mismanagement of the club as a whole has led to all of those things?

I'd be amazed if you can explain how professional footballers can't perform the very basics right as a direct result of randy Lerner. I'd be completely stunned tbh. 

Can't possibly be the disgraceful way in which the players decide to live their life away from the club can it?

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Everyone else is basing it on a decade of evidence at this club and evidence in a different sport in a different country.  

Basing what?

We share the same opinion of him. He's useless.

I just don't point the finger with such malice and hatred like others do.

6 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Where did I say I was correct?

Oh I even added 'imo' because yes I'm acknowledging that I'm not fully informed either.

As long as you're still reading posts fully Stefan......

You're basing your opinion on what though?

As DCJ said, the alternative opinion to your own seems to be based on a hell of a lot more previous and evidence than yours.

King even states in his resignation letter (paraphrasing) 'They need a new owner asap'

How can you take that any other way? Why would King be throwing his toys out of the tram unnecessarily when he's a well known Villa fan?

Also, reading properly? Try writing properly.

17 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

All a bit naive and uninformed that imo tho.

You are saying that it's your opinion that the opposing argument is naive and uninformed. Not that the whole post is your opinion.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Just now, Woodytom said:

I'd be amazed if you can explain how professional footballers can't perform the very basics right as a direct result of randy Lerner. I'd be completely stunned tbh. 

Can't possibly be the disgraceful way in which the players decide to live their life away from the club can it?

Who said anything about directly? The players are recruited by the team of people ultimately put in place by Lerner. If he'd managed the club better he'd have employed a better CEO, who would have recruited a better manager and a better "head of recruitment", who would have hired better coaches and players.

I'm absolutely stunned by this. I'd have never thought that the one person who'd escape the Woodytom vitriol would be the guy responsible for it all :D

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

You can't understand how an owner can have an effect on us having shit players? Really?

I guess the likes of Chelsea and city just find good players outside their stadium waiting to come in and play for free. 

Edited by DCJonah

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Basing what?

We share the same opinion of him. He's useless.

I just don't point the finger with such malice and hatred like others do.

So you think he's useless but you create a hypothetical scenario, based on nothing, to create balance. That seems very strange. 

18 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Hang on a minute............Two board members..... who have been in the job what, 4 weeks?......... decide they're going to resign because they don't want to work in the financial restraints that might prove to be best for the club in the long run?..... well they can go for me.

Tbh I'd still trust Bernstein and King a huge amount more with a financially challenged and problematic club than a crackpot like Lerner.

weve rolled the dice at least 3 times in the last year or so. It was time for a complete restructure/ clear out/ reboot. Another gamble is NOT going to help us

Gamblers logic at its worst. We need people in who know what they're doing and do what they suggest

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Who said anything about directly? The players are recruited by the team of people ultimately put in place by Lerner. If he'd managed the club better he'd have employed a better CEO, who would have recruited a better manager and a better "head of recruitment", who would have hired better coaches and players.

I'm absolutely stunned by this. I'd have never thought that the one person who'd escape the Woodytom vitriol would be the guy responsible for it all :D

The only logical explanation... Woodytom IS Randy Lerner.

48 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So you think he's useless but you create a hypothetical scenario, based on nothing, to create balance. That seems very strange. 

No I was just illustrating how this forum would just abuse Lerner without really knowing anything in any detail.

6 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

No I was just illustrating how this forum would just abuse Lerner without really knowing anything in any detail.

We know we're relegated. We know we currently don't have a manager. We know 2 board members have resigned after a month in the job. 

What's your hypothetical scenario based on?

Just now, DCJonah said:

We know we're relegated. We know we currently don't have a manager. We know 2 board members have resigned after a month in the job. 

What's your hypothetical scenario based on?

A naive and uninformed thought process imo

Â