The Randy Lerner thread

CI

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

What I like about it is that there's an awful lot of "Goodbye" in it - it's a letter to a left lover - "I'll always keep the good times with me, but this is the end." I've been sceptical about a takeover, for me this increases the likelihood of there being some fire behind this years smoke.

Good points.

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not massively upset by that statement - there's nothing he's said that's wrong imo. I can see why people are upset by the missing word "Sorry", but he's accepted it's down to him and that it's not a position that the club should be in, he's said he can't take it forward and he's trying to sell it to someone who can.

What I like about it is that there's an awful lot of "Goodbye" in it - it's a letter to a left lover - "I'll always keep the good times with me, but this is the end." I've been sceptical about a takeover, for me this increases the likelihood of there being some fire behind this years smoke.

Yeah good observations, Really hope that your spot on with that pal.

30 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not massively upset by that statement - there's nothing he's said that's wrong imo. I can see why people are upset by the missing word "Sorry", but he's accepted it's down to him and that it's not a position that the club should be in, he's said he can't take it forward and he's trying to sell it to someone who can.

Hope so brother! Was weird though 

32 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The only negative (in my mind) is that the publicity shy Lerner would maybe save this kind of thing until the deal was actually done. But yes, you cannot escape from the "remember the good times" slant.

I hope the memory of Youngs goal at Everton was worth £300mil. We won't mention the 4-4 at Tottenham or the 2-2 at home to Stoke eh? In fact I don't think there was a side in the division who didn't score a goal against us on or after 90mins during the MON years.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

While I'm still hopeful, didn't he issue a statement this time last year, which you could read as a bit of a goodbye, It didn't happen though.

And the year before. He might be trying to sell, there's nothing to suggest it's coming anytime soon though.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

While I'm still hopeful, didn't he issue a statement this time last year, which you could read as a bit of a goodbye, It didn't happen though.

"Several weeks back I said that following the end of the season I would clarify my future role with the Club, and address what had become seemingly constant rumours of a sale. I have come to know well that fates are fickle in the business of English football. And I feel that I have pushed mine well past the limit. The last several seasons have been week in, week out battles and having now come through this last season unfortunately limping amidst very meaningful injuries and constant sale rumours, I feel further that now is the time for me to look for new ownership and thus new leadership. I have asked the world of Paul Lambert and Paul Faulkner and they have both delivered selflessly. On a personal level it is time for me, like the Shunammite, to dwell among my own and get on with other aspects of my career, following a sale. 

Above all, the debt I owe Aston Villa whether as owner, Chairman, custodian or simply as a fan is to put the Club first. To make good on that debt, I owe it to Villa to move on, and look for fresh, invigorated leadership, if in my heart I feel I can no longer do the job. 

During my time with Villa, I have tried to strengthen and improve the Club's physical infrastructure both at Villa Park and Bodymoor Heath while also trying to carry on the McGregor tradition of being mindful of the local community we serve. Above all in this effort is the connection the Club has made with Acorns; the caring, kindness and warmth that players, staff, managers and supporters have shown to Mr Strudley and Acorns has wiped away all disappointments and sobered my finest memories. Still, I can see now that it is time, if possible, to hand these privileges and responsibilities to the next person or group to take the Club forward. I am appreciative of the support I have received, even in these last years of comparative struggle when criticism was due, and will look on with others - with fingers crossed, for stronger future performance appropriate to our size and heritage. 

On a practical level, the Club will continue with its normal operations and plans for the summer. I've no doubt that the core staff at both Villa Park and Bodmoor Heath, to whom I owe a massive debt of friendship and loyalty, will continue to guide and protect the Club through this period of transition according to their collective sense of professional pride and long term service to Villa - the vast majority having preceded my tenure. 

Finally, in light of the above, I have engaged Bank of America Merrill Lynch to advise on the sale of Aston Villa."

37 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

Was just gonna post the same. We were all convinced last time and **** all happened. 

Oh a good moment from a few years ago leaves you "romantically nourished" and you acknowledge that this is all your fault. Brilliant. I feel so much better now.

Should be embarrassed and **** ashamed at what you have done to us you total and utter **** cretin.

Absolutely, was just about to point out the same - the one about the Shunammites. Didn't we all start frothing about a takeover then as well?

There's nothing worse than having a lover who keeps writing goodbye notes but never gets round to leaving.

Seriously his statement reads like he has sunk a load of whiskies and decided to bash out a drunken ramble. Either that or a man on the edge of madness. 

I can see how B & K fell out with him. Imagine trying to deal with a man like that. Eveytime they put something to him they must have got a load of random rambling back,  it would leave you angry frustrated and bewildered 

We have seen and heard enough from the man to believe he is like this all the time

I think he has just grown up in a complete billionaires son bubble with his dad sorting his life out until he died and then Randy suddenly emerged into the real world having no idea how it works. He thinks life is some kind of poem or dreamlike state. He lives in a state of unreality

He writes like he is the same as us,  a spectator on the outside with no control or influence over what is happening within the club. The most utterly utterly bizarre statement I have ever read

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I agree that he didnt set out to lose £200 million or get the club relegated, however he waited 10 years before trying finally set the club up properly and then managed to upset 2 board members so they resigned in less than a month.

Had he set the club up properly in the first place, listened to what football people he had on the board with Fitzgerald & Cunnah he might well have a lot more to show for his money.

He has been a fool who has lot money on a personal vanity project.

He has been privileged to have been left the money.....but not privileged to have the brains (in football )to use it.

He is an odd case.

We need to be rid of him....it seems like the whole club is one big error of judgement....he has tainted it all....and drained life out of everyone connected with it.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Â