The Randy Lerner thread

CI

1 hour ago, islingtonclaret said:

A nagging sense of inevitability set in against Leicester City despite the late lead we enjoyed. Can't say why although I doubt I'm alone...

How many seasons after all can one hold on and hope to slide through? That is not Aston Villa. That kind of desperate existence is totally unacceptable, unbearable and totally incompatible with Villa's glorious past. That is not what, or why, I looked to get involved back then and it is why I've looked for some time to make a change. I can say certainly in good faith that I have tried to sell since my May 2014 announcement and put our beloved club in better suited hands - but that hasn't happened.

I write to Villa supporters to make clear that this relegation lies at my feet and no one else's. And because I believe in Aston Villa and know it will come back stronger and more able, with love and care for the community it serves, with the edge and attitude it must have to represent our history and tradition. Memories of Acorns on the shirt, and Ashley Young scoring a late winner against Everton still romantically nourish me. I know Villa will return better, stronger.

I will continue to try to put the club into worthy hands as I have, and also do my best to position Villa for the quickest possible return to its rightful place among England's elite.

R Lerner

Wow

Just...wow.

This is a bizarre statement for a football club owner to put out, and no mistake.

Can things get any more surreal?

I'm expecting Terry Jones and Michael Palin to stagger in with handkerchiefs on their heads next and start ranting at us incoherently, only for the entire club and its fanbase to be eaten alive in a Terry Gilliam animation.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

Him holding out for the most money goes against everything else we have heard though.

Reduced asking price

Is embarrassed and rightly so about what has happened under his ownership.

No further investment of any kind - not sustainable if he doesnt want AVFC to sink further.

Hollis saying he is negotiations for the sale of the club.

500 job losses - clearing the decks for the new owners.

I really dont mind Lerner, have never put much blame on him. There are FAR worse owners out there. But I hate that nausea-inducing blind optimism nonsense sentence "I know Villa will return better, stronger."

Thats the sort of crap I would expect from posters on here, not the chairman.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I really dont mind Lerner, have never put much blame on him. There are FAR worse owners out there. But I hate that nausea-inducing blind optimism nonsense sentence "I know Villa will return better, stronger."

Thats the sort of crap I would expect from posters on here, not the chairman.

It's the type of shit Krulak excelled at in his time here.

1 minute ago, HarryYates said:

Perhaps Mr Lerner would like to attend the last home game of the season and walk around the pitch at half time so that we may show our appreciation for all he has done........

I'm not sure he could take that kind of mass romantic nourishment

8 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I really dont mind Lerner, have never put much blame on him.

Lerner's not to blame.

N'Zogbia should play more.

Gabby's done nothing wrong.

Are you even trying anymore or does it come naturally?

• Like 4

I feel I'm usually a pretty positive poster with regards Villa and Villatalk, but, judging Randy Lerner on his statements, I think he is a pretentious dickhead. I also think he's up his own arse if he thinks writing some bullshit like that without actually using the word 'sorry' is acceptable. 

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Lerner's not to blame.

N'Zogbia should play more.

Gabby's done nothing wrong.

Are you even trying anymore or does it come naturally?

I didnt say Gabby had done nothing wrong. He's a lazy waster.

Yes I am a big fan of Zog, go back to his thread in 2011 and you will see I said the same things then and I've always defended Lerner to some extent.

Those are my opinions, like it or not.

6 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

I didnt say Gabby had done nothing wrong. He's a lazy waster.

Yes I am a big fan of Zog, go back to his thread in 2011 and you will see I said the same things then and I've always defended Lerner to some extent.

Those are my opinions, like it or not.

Okay, glad I got your nature clarified before I ignored you. Nothing good will come from me seeing your wind up posts in future so yeah...

I know this goes against the current bandwagon of piling on criticism of RL, but I can't help but question to myself, what more can he realistically do?
He has:-

• Spent a enormous chunk of his own (and families) money on Villa which he stands little to no chance of recouping
  • Publicly put us up for sale, as the fans wanted!
  • Delivered a statement accepting responsibility for the failure of his tenure (but had tha audacity to point out it's not ALL been shit)
  • Accepted that a footballing board was needed and has enabled the people to run with it

We (Us and Randy) failed, not because he wanted to, or intended to, but just unfortunately because some things in life some things work and others don't. There's nothing to suggest he has ever maliciously or deliberately taken a course of action to harm the club. It's just that decisions haven't worked. I know lots of fans simply see spend spend spend as the course of action to take but it's not their money!! I'd doubt they'd solve their own personal issues that way!

Thing is, the papers have got their teeth in now and every little thing is being looked at in a certain way but I'm becoming weary now of the constant negative spin of every little thing and the ferocity of the dislike towards him. It's crap getting relegated but lets not pretend that this was the plan!

• Like 1

He is still a child.  He writes like a 10 year old who has been told by mummy that he is a super writer and should probably be an author.  His privileged position has got him to the point where there is no filter between brain and pen and no one who can tell him he is spouting crap.  I get the feeling he thinks he is writing poetry, in much the same way he thinks he is able to run a football club.  I can see now why being in his employ and being critical of him can make your position untenable. 

Â