The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I said if before and I'll say it again. I don't think there is a chance Sherwood would have worked under the same constraints as Lambert. He seems to care about his career and reputation. Plus by the way he reacted after the FA Cup final it's unlikely he would have stayed if had no funds to make changes.

I said if before and I'll say it again. I don't think there is a chance Sherwood would have worked under the same constraints as Lambert. He seems to care about his career and reputation. Plus by the way he reacted after the FA Cup final it's unlikely he would have stayed if had no funds to make changes.

Well he is and isn't.

He has more to spend than Lambert ever had in a window but still has very limited 'net' investment, the difference is player sales.

He has a limited wage bill but has more remove to work than Lambert because we removed around £300k a week of the wage bill this summer.

I'm not in anyway making comparisons between the two managers and don't want to take the thread in that direction. I'm just trying to point out I think the restraints are the same for Sherwood as they were Lambert but the circumstances are different.

• Like 1

Oops my mistake I meant to say not disputing your point - can see that now

With regards to the other point yes we didnt but he really could have been deluded and not backed sherwood. he could have signed numerous cheaper players or said no sorry you cant spend 10m on amavi for example

in addition clark, gabby and baker new deals (although i dont agree with the latter)

But why would he do that and piss away a £150 million asset?

Had Benteke stayed, Sherwood would still have needed backing to invest, and I think Lerner must have assured him that he would have that.

So if the net spend is still small, you would assume that there is still money there. Sherwood may of course want to be a good housekeeper, not just to splurge in MON fashion, but to only spend what he needs to, guaranteeing further backing in further windows by Lerner/Fox, who would be impressed by his astuteness.

• Like 3

Bringing new backroom staff in I.e Fox etc has completely transformed our football club.

It just proves to Me time an time again Paul Faulkner did not have clue how to run a football club. I mean employing McLeish was absolute commercial suicide for a club like outs. I still cannot believe it happened, I mean who the hell advised him?? Low times guys low times.

What people seem to forget is that we may only have a net spend of 1 million or so this summer, we are forgetting that every player signed has got a sign on fee. with 9 players signed I am willing to bet that the sign on fees are more than 10 million making our net spend a bit more than 1 million. Therefor Lerner most have invested a bit this summer already ;) 

• Like 1

Lerners biggest error was not appointing people who knew how to run a football club from the start. Even keeping on Steve stride for a season or 2 would've been an advantage to him*

* stride resigned a year after the takeover according to wikipedia.

Edited by Jimzk5

It isn't hindsight that either, people were saying it at the time. Meanwhile Browns fans were saying he was clueless but the money he was spending and the fact he wasn't Ellis were enough to satisfy us.

That has pretty much always been our problem....including with Players.... we have set the bar too low.

I'm hoping this summer will be a change, but we have bought some iffy players over the years

Oops my mistake I meant to say not disputing your point - can see that now

With regards to the other point yes we didnt but he really could have been deluded and not backed sherwood. he could have signed numerous cheaper players or said no sorry you cant spend 10m on amavi for example

in addition clark, gabby and baker new deals (although i dont agree with the latter)

But why would he do that and piss away a £150 million asset?

He gambled with our future over last few seasons even when benteke was out injured

It isn't hindsight that either, people were saying it at the time. Meanwhile Browns fans were saying he was clueless but the money he was spending and the fact he wasn't Ellis were enough to satisfy us.

Whether he has learned from his mistakes or fell on good fortune in getting Fox (and, through that appointment, Sherwood) we may never know.

While the jury is still out on them both, the signs are encouraging. Imagine if we had them when Lerner first took over....

Only credit lerner will get from me is finally getting his unwanted nose out, and getting in people who have a clue to sort his mess out.

That man has strangled this club, devoiding it of essential nutrients for years. Ironically selling benteke might be our saviour, along with offloading other wages.

If he allows the club to invest moderately on par with our turnover and inside ffp, he can fall into my "meh" category instead of my "most hated".

The only uptick is we actually could do worse than lerner, I know that's difficult to believe.

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to take what you need instead of what you want.

Like or not it maybe that Lambert is what we needed at the time to turn the club back from financial disaster.  He will always take the brunt for the garbage of the past few seasons and rightly so but He managed somehow to keep us up and clear down the majority of the high earners low producers we had.

Lerner biggest fault is that he is too trusting and not ruthless enough.  He trusted people to do jobs.  People mention the Browns but the quality of people being brought in were considered top notch but they failed to deliver.  Perhaps he has hired top people but never built a team.

• 2 weeks later...

It really infuriates me that Lerner is getting a little bit of a free pass this year because we've been so active in the transfer window, despite actually investing very very little. It isn't good enough for a club of our size, no sorry, scratch that, it isn't good enough for the size of club we used to be.

Once again we will have spent less than at least 80% of the rest of the division despite needing it more than all of them. We were the worst team to survive, we lost three or four of our best players from that rubbish side, we have struggled to score goals all preseason and in our first three games and yet still no investment.

I simply hate Lerner now. It annoys me that I get so annoyed by it, I should be used to it by now! But what bothers me even more is those that can't see this lack of investment - it's all well and good being optimistic about the signings we have made but to praise him for doing the absolute bare minimum is shocking.

If we can't even expect to spend £10m after sales now, how small time a club are we? Season after season I'm told it's because we spent so frivolously under MON - that was ages ago now! Even the last of the big earners have left this summer too. Where the f*ck is the money?!

According to transfermarkt, we have spent £140k! To put it in to further perspective, WBA have spent £24m, Leicester £22m, Bournemouth £17m, Watford £20m, Sunderland £17m and Newcastle £45m all after their player sales too. This is the same Sunderland and Newcastle who have been (and in Sunderland's case are being) slated for under investment. Only four teams have currently spent less, Spurs will resolve that before the window closes for sure and the others are the miraculous Saints and then Stoke and Everton who hardly have relegation concerns being solid midtable teams.

The more I think about it the more I get annoyed! How do some of you stay so calm?! Is it resignation? Is it eternal optimism?

The pound signs should be back out for Lerner. He is a disgrace of a 'custodian'.

He's simply going to pocket the new TV money and get his personal wealth back up then jog on

Yeah im gonna be very unhappy if we haven't another 20 million to spend. Im not a avid lerner hater but its getting close thinkng he is gonna pocket the TV money next season not to give us the centre back and striker we need to compete at this level.

Â