The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Imagine if we hadn't sold Benteke and Delph. We would have bought Crespo and Bunn and that's about it.

Doubt it. Obviously we wouldn't have spent as much as we did but I still think we'd have spent a fair amount.
Net spend has decreased for the last few years, while premier league money rises. Lerner would have given Tim about £10 million tops!

Yep I agree with that. The man is a disgrace and we should protest. The takeover is a great tool for him too, wouldn't be shocked if that is all bullshit to give him a reason not to spend. He is a word removed.

He really does deserve more stick. Could you imagine how say Newcastle fans would react if he owned their club?

If their chairman had overspent without a plan, appointed a relegated Sunderland manager, cut to the point of relegation and then give the manager little money with a bigger TV deal, they'd have rioted. Ashley isn't perfect, but at least he allows spending when it is needed - such as this season, without sales, for a new manager.

• Like 1

Imagine if we hadn't sold Benteke and Delph. We would have bought Crespo and Bunn and that's about it.

Doubt it. Obviously we wouldn't have spent as much as we did but I still think we'd have spent a fair amount.
Net spend has decreased for the last few years, while premier league money rises. Lerner would have given Tim about £10 million tops!

I'm aware of that, but just because our net spend is low now doesn't mean it wouldn't have been had we not got so much from player sales.

• Like 1

We owe Lerner a lot of money and it's only fair that he has it back

Is it?

No it's not. Did you even read any other bit of my post?

Yes, I agreed with it all, except the bit I quoted. Which I guess now was sarcasm. Sorry didn't pick it up first read.

We owe Lerner a lot of money and it's only fair that he has it back

Is it?
No it's not. Did you even read any other bit of my post?

Yes, I agreed with it all, except the bit I quoted. Which I guess now was sarcasm. Sorry didn't pick it up first read.

It's not sarcastic, it's a proposition which is overruled by the next sentence.

Yep I agree with that. The man is a disgrace and we should protest. The takeover is a great tool for him too, wouldn't be shocked if that is all bullshit to give him a reason not to spend. He is a word removed.

He really does deserve more stick. Could you imagine how say Newcastle fans would react if he owned their club?

If their chairman had overspent without a plan, appointed a relegated Sunderland manager, cut to the point of relegation and then give the manager little money with a bigger TV deal, they'd have rioted. Ashley isn't perfect, but at least he allows spending when it is needed - such as this season, without sales, for a new manager.

Nah I'm not having that. 

12/13 : +£3.5m

13/14 : -£19.75m (They signed one player, ONE, Oliver Kemen on a free)

14/15 : +£5m

OK, so they've gone for it this summer, but only after years and years of neglect. Mike Ashley is a word removed.

• Like 1

Nah I'm not having that.

12/13 : +£3.5m

13/14 : -£19.75m (They signed one player, ONE, Oliver Kemen on a free)

14/15 : +£5m

OK, so they've gone for it this summer, but only after years and years of neglect. Mike Ashley is a word removed.

I was mainly talking about the big increase in TV money (this year). But you are right, Ashley is a word removed.

I don't like the way we are run, but if we end up spending ~£55m total (£13m net) plus whatever we are shelling out on Adebayor then I am happy with the summers work. Yes it would have been better had we pushed the boat out further, but I also accept that it's very hard for a club in our position to sign top level players. They have done their job this time, they've built an entire squad.

Generally I agree, obviously, he is far from good enough and I want him out. But I won't have it that hes on the same level as that **** tyrant Ashley. That man is a cancer. 

edit - When I say I don't like the way we are run, I do not mean the structure from Fox down. I'm very much enjoying that bit. About bloody time too. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Great work from us, but that is not down to Lerner, the congratulations are to those who work hard each day, Fox and Sherwood and the team with them. Anybody can see just an extra 15m would push us up to where we need to be, granted the signings of Adebayor and Lescott will give a push, but money for a keeper and a right back, or another midfielder would also give an extra boost and push us up more places - and make a difference. Reminds me of Ellis, when all we needed were an extra body or two(Izzet, Juninho) and he refused. Shame we are back knocking at the same door.

Great work from us, but that is not down to Lerner, the congratulations are to those who work hard each day, Fox and Sherwood and the team with them. Anybody can see just an extra 15m would push us up to where we need to be, granted the signings of Adebayor and Lescott will give a push, but money for a keeper and a right back, or another midfielder would also give an extra boost and push us up more places - and make a difference. Reminds me of Ellis, when all we needed were an extra body or two(Izzet, Juninho) and he refused. Shame we are back knocking at the same door.

But we're not knocking at that door yet. I made the same point as you a few days back, but am now thinking hang on, can I reasonably expect us to spend £70m+ this summer? No matter what the incoming's. That would be mentally brilliant, but I'm not about to start flinging shit at anyone for what has been a very good summer. Especially considering how it could have gone.  

It doesn't excuse his lack of spending though.

Why?

In another thread we agree that finish the window with Lescott and Adebayor and we are in for our best season in a long time. We likely are anyway, we have a proper premier league squad for a change.

If we climb the table, the new deal kicks in and we don't push on then maybe we revisit the question. For now I have no complaints.

The money we received has helped us buy the players we should have been looking at before. Over the past 3/4 seasons. By buying cheap and cutting back we lost out on money for finishing higher up the league, so now we sell two important players to buy players in positions we were lacking when we didn't spend any money, whilst still spending no money this season. So this money has allowed us to buy the players we should have had from 2010-2014, but not enough to have the players we need in all positions. Two or three key injuries will screw us over, a mistake from the keeper will, or a lack of cover.

(Been awake since 5am yesterday so probably not being clear)

• Like 1

The money we received has helped us buy the players we should have been looking at before. Over the past 3/4 seasons. By buying cheap and cutting back we lost out on money for finishing higher up the league, so now we sell two important players to buy players in positions we were lacking when we didn't spend any money, whilst still spending no money this season. So this money has allowed us to buy the players we should have had from 2010-2014, but not enough to have the players we need in all positions. Two or three key injuries will screw us over, a mistake from the keeper will, or a lack of cover.

(Been awake since 5am yesterday so probably not being clear)

No I'm with you. I'm not thinking much about the last 3 years at the minute I'll admit. I'm trying to clear my thoughts and enjoy the club as they are now.

We will always be 3/4 key injuries away from a struggle but let's be fair, it's a hell of a lot better than it was when we were totally reliant on one player. We've had a few key injuries already to our creative force and are struggling up front yet we've still looked promising, to me.

Unless he does something before the transfer deadline I think he's got some explaining to do.  The fact that selling Benteke and Delph and using that money to buy all the players we have makes it look like he has invested, whereas on the true net spend it isn't that much.  Sherwood and Fox have had to rebuild the squad and it would've really scared me if they had to do that without that incoming money, granted it would've required two less players.  While it has been a good summer rebuilding, with a bit extra investment we could've made a really good step forward.....as usual in recent times it's Lerner that lets us down.

• Like 2

net spend isn't the only gauge of commitment but when you generally get what you pay for it's a pretty good one.

We owe Lerner a lot of money and it's only fair that he has it back. The problem is it's his **** up which led to us overspending and needing the loans in the first place.

Therefore he should really man up to his mistakes where he gambled and lost the money, and not expect the club to bail him out.

Is there any evidence that he's taking any money out?

Â