The Randy Lerner thread

CI

O.k Nicho didn't realise you were joking.

The ironic thing is on here and H&V plenty of us were making these points on the infamous General thread even when we were doing well.

During 09/10 there were quite a few questions to the general about the spiralling wage bill and asking why were people like Beye and Shorey were being signed and then hardly played. There were also a few questions as to what would happen when eventually MON left. Both were met with the don't worry we're the custodians we know what we';re doing line. Oops.

That's the thing, it's not like all of us were buring our heads in the sands during the relatively good times of his reign, same the owner was.

Randys first 5 years have been evened out by the last 5 and for me he goes as a man who broke even in my mind for the fact that he tried and realised he couldn't do it and is now trying to get out rather than hold on for the sake of it (and it's cost him a lot of money)

I think that's a very generous viewpoint.

In 10 years we've got to an FA Cup semi final twice hopefully that'll be a final this year. A coca-cola final and a semi. If we never had Phil Dowd as ref we would've won it so even though the last 4 years has been awful in the league overall it's been quite decent. I think the negativity McLeish brought alongside of the crap football we've been fed recently has soured everyone's memories a bit. Lerner can leave us this summer with a solid legacy if we win the FA Cup and he hands over to an ambitious owner who hopefully will gamble a bit like Lerner did but also learn from his mistakes and not over reach too much.

Seems to be very quiet on the Villa takeover front. Same can't be said for those obsessed with Villa...

The takeover is clearly linked to our premiership survival IMO - whilst we're not safe, I don't think there'll be any announcements. 

Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner to make Wembley appearance for FA Cup semi-final against Liverpool American has been seldom seen at Villa Park in recent years but the prospect of reaching an FA Cup Final has captured his imagination

Randy Lerner is set to attend Aston Villa’s FA Cup semi-final at Wembley in what could be one of his last games as chairman.

Lerner is scheduled to fly in from America to make a rare public appearance on Sunday when Villa take on Liverpool at the national stadium.

Villa have applied for accreditation and Lerner will sit with chief executive Tom Fox as the club make their first visit to Wembley in five years.

Lerner has been seldom seen at Villa Park in recent years, with the Premier League game against Arsenal in September his first home game since December 2012.

But the prospect of reaching an FA Cup Final has captured Lerner’s imagination, after five successive seasons battling against relegation, and he plans to be at Wembley.

Lerner remains keen to agree a £150 million sale after announcing his desire to step aside nearly 12 months ago.

Talks are continuing with a small international group and it is understood a deal could be sorted before the start of next season, though no sale is imminent at this stage.

Villa boosted their hopes of avoiding relegation with a 1-0 win at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday, with Tim Sherwood now six points above the bottom three.

Sherwood had refused to discuss any talk of Wembley before their crucial games against QPR and Spurs, but is now focusing on their semi-final.

“As much as I respect the FA Cup and what it brings I just think it’s paramount that we stay in the league,” he said.

“But now we can look forward to Wembley and I can certainly focus one million per cent on it now.

“I wouldn’t have looked forward to it [this week], to be honest, if we hadn’t won at Tottenham.”

Villa winger Scott Sinclair is facing a race against time to be fit for Wembley as he steps up his recovery from a hamstring injury.

Sinclair has missed the last three games and is said to be “50-50” ahead of the clash with Liverpool.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11532742/Aston-Villa-owner-Randy-Lerner-to-make-Wembley-appearance-for-FA-Cup-semi-final-against-Liverpool.html

Randy must have been absolutely bricking it watching the QPR and Spurs games, such fine margins between him losing another 100 million. So I imagine this trip to Wemberlee is on the back of complete relief and a sense that we ain't going down. Make the final and that really could be his last game as owner.

I'm sure the current criteria for a ticket is 3 games ?

He's gonna have to book tommorrow and collect in person.

Lerner's not even been to 3 home games this season.. Pretty sure he doesn't meet the criteria  for a Wembley ticket ;)

Has he even been to 1 home game this season? :D

Â