The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Significantly cutting the wage budget is not backing the manager. Even if he did give him transfer fees (but not much, relatively speaking)

Lambert was given a lot of chances despite bad results whilst having this mandate - I'd say he was backed throughout the period he was boss.

I took it to mean financial backing.

I agree that he "backed" him in terms of keeping him as manager and being happy with him.

But I don't think he backed him financially. He gave him transfer fees, although the amount he was given was small considering how many players he had to bring in. But when you're cutting the wage bill during all of that it doesn't really count.

OK - that's obviously different.

I think the fact that we're more or less self-sufficient now is going to prove to be worth it long term. It's been a rough few years but something we really had to do and we've got a good squad to build with now.

We'll see how good it actually comes to be. We still seem to have a chairman who we have no idea how committed he is to us actually be a top side again.

Also you assume it was something we had to do to then improve when in reality it was to try and sell the club. Now that's failed it will be interesting to see what the approach now is.

Edited by DCJonah

Is keeping lambert backing him or is it the easiest, cheapest option?

That's a good question - probably best answered by the antics of one of the tightest owners of all time: Deadly Doug Ellis.

He counted every one of his pennies - even to the extent of famously not wanting to pay for fly spray when the team was overseas during preseason - but he had no problems sacking managers.

So I'd maintain it's easiest to get rid, and it can't be that expensive to do.

Time for some pointless rumour-mongering (it's that time of year!) . . . .

I was watching Asia Business Report a minute earlier and Linda Yueh was talking to Wang Jianlin, the head of Dalian Wanda group and the 26th richest man in the world, and she asked him if he was interested in buying an English football club, and he refused to deny it. Said he was looking at a few options, especially in Italy, but also England, and that 'the most important thing is price'. Not even a link to us, but we're surely one of the biggest teams actively for sale in England. 

China's richest man has said that he considers the UK the best place in the world to invest.

Wang Jianlin, chair of China's largest property company, Dalian Wanda, said the UK had one of the most open markets and that investment was not subject to the same scrutiny as elsewhere.

Mr Wang told the BBC he was looking to invest $1bn (£667m) in the UK entertainment industry.

He is also considering buying an English or Italian football club.

"I've travelled to many countries to consider them for investment, and most admire Britain's market," he said.

"Britain has one of the highest degrees of free market openness, no investment needs to be scrutinised, it's entirely up to you."

He said that he likes the US as well but the Committee on Foreign Investment in the US scrutinises investment and can block it.

He added that China needs to reform its own market.

Mr Wang is estimated to be worth $24.2bn and recently reclaimed the title of China's richest man, overtaking Jack Ma, the boss of e-commerce giant Alibaba,

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31838296

Edited by av1

A Premier League football club is not really a great Investment, unless you continue running it like Randy Lerner.

How so?

Lerner's lost millions, and he won't get it back when he sells us.

• Like 2

A Premier League football club is not really a great Investment, unless you continue running it like Randy Lerner.

As the saying goes, buy a football club and you could end up with a small fortune - provided you start with a large fortune. Edited by mjmooney

How so?

If he continued the cheap transfers and didn't sell us, we would soon be profitable but continue to be a unsuccessful club.

I'm still hoping there's some truth in what the 'secret footballer' tweeted and then the stories that followed in The Mirror and Telegraph. But I'm a bit suspicious at the timing of those and how they've died down now our form has picked up. But maybe those stories would have died down anyway, as there's only so much you can say.

If someone like Wang Jianlin was to buy us it probably wouldn't be so much as to make money from us but more to use us as an advert in the west for the Dalian Wanda Group.

Edited by useless

How so?

If he continued the cheap transfers and didn't sell us, we would soon be profitable but continue to be a unsuccessful club.

Fair point.

But I think we'd do extremely well to make back Randy's investment, even with the new TV money.

And the cutbacks have only come as a result of overspending in the first place. Had we spent more modestly we probably wouldn't be looking to balance the books so quickly.

I don't think Randy's running of Aston Villa can be used as a template of how to run a football club profitably

How so?

Fair point.

But I think we'd do extremely well to make back Randy's investment, even with the new TV money.

And the cutbacks have only come as a result of overspending in the first place. Had we spent more modestly we probably wouldn't be looking to balance the books so quickly.

I don't think Randy's running of Aston Villa can be used as a template of how to run a football club profitably

The burning question is :

was it overspending?

or was it buying crap players ? that didn't lead us to the revenue streams expected.

That resulted in the cutbacks.

How so?

That wouldn't make Randy any money though. Just the avfc company. Randy only gets a proper legit profitable payout by selling a successful, well run, profitable club. Cutting corners financially only means he's not putting his own money in any more and that he can increase his own wage.

the money the club makes doesn't go into his pocket

Aston Villa open talks over takeover deal American businessman Randy Lerner in 'delicate' negotiations with interested party ahead of possible summer takeover

Aston Villa are on course for a takeover this summer after it emerged Randy Lerner is in “delicate” negotiations with an interested party.

Lerner has been discussing a potential £150million sale since the start of the year and could end his association with the club at the end of this season.

The potential buyers have signed a non-disclosure agreement and are determined to keep their identity secret but are in advanced talks with Lerner and Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

Sources close to the deal insist nothing is imminent at this stage, with Villa’s Premier League future still hanging in the balance.

But the consortium will press ahead with plans to buy the former European Cup winners when the picture is clearer over which division Villa will be operating in next season.

Even if Villa suffer relegation to the Championship, the party would remain interested but Lerner’s asking price will be severely affected.

Lerner, who bought the club for £62.6million in 2006, put Villa up for sale in May but there has been no serious interest until the party made their initial approach in the New Year.

In August Lerner appointed a new chief executive, Tom Fox, who has led a major revamp of the club’s infrastructure since his arrival from Arsenal.

Paddy Reilly returned from Liverpool to become the director of recruitment while Charles Wijeratna became the club’s first ever chief commercial officer.

It was Fox who made the decision to sack Paul Lambert and replace him with Tim Sherwood in February.

There are also plans to appoint a director of football despite Sherwood encountering difficulties with the role in his previous job at Tottenham Hotspur.

Sherwood’s position is unlikely to be affected by the potential takeover. He said: “I’ve got no fears about coming into a club up for sale. Every club in the world is up for sale at the right price.

“All I need to worry about is winning games. I can’t look beyond the end of the season.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11472440/Aston-Villa-open-talks-over-takeover-deal.html

Laurie Whitwell Of The Daily Mail with the story now too.

Aston Villa in negotiations with prospective buyer as American owner Randy Lerner moves closer to selling Midlands club

Edited by dudevillaisnice
  • Like 1

How so?

Fair point.

The burning question is :

was it overspending?

or was it buying crap players ? that didn't lead us to the revenue streams expected.

That resulted in the cutbacks.

Well it was both.

It wasn't overspending if we'd done that little bit better and made the top 4 because that would have given us the revenue streams to manage the costs.

But not spending the money effectively meant that it was overspending because we never paid it.

Â