The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Didn't some of that 34 million come from player sales though

Yes but even losing big players they've been able to invest smartly and build on it.

Look what happened to us when we sold big players.

Our situations were completely different. They had players on championship wages and could afford to expand their wage bill to bring in quality.

Average players on our wage bill was crippling us as a business, so we couldn't invest further to bring in better players.

Southampton have shown it can be done, but it helps when you have just come up from the championship and have a fantastic academy.

^ This is exactly it, and why I get frustrated when people say "they're only new in the league how can they outspend us?"

They can outspend us because, more often than not, they're run close to break even while paying championship wages to players, when they come up they've got close to 100m extra to play with each season that can ALL be spent on players and contracts if they want. Established premier league clubs don't have that luxury

• Like 3

Who remembers singing "oh randy, you came and you gave and you saved us" and "U.S.A." when he first arrived.  I think another was "we've got loads of money lalala"

Shudder.

• Like 1

^ This is exactly it, and why I get frustrated when people say "they're only new in the league how can they outspend us?"

They can outspend us because, more often than not, they're run close to break even while paying championship wages to players, when they come up they've got close to 100m extra to play with each season that can ALL be spent on players and contracts if they want. Established premier league clubs don't have that luxury

True, what's often overlooked is that Southampton fell so much lower than us and virtually went bankrupt. Luckily they got one of the better owners, one worth a lot more money than Randy, and although he's dead now, the family seem to have taken the club on really well. We've been doing our financial restructuring whilst retaining our Premier League status, and we must now be a decent proposition for investors with us breaking even pretty much with a new huge TV deal on the way. The problem is you need skill and understanding of the game rather than huge money and it's difficult to find the right people.

True, what's often overlooked is that Southampton fell so much lower than us and virtually went bankrupt. Luckily they got one of the better owners, one worth a lot more money than Randy, and although he's dead now, the family seem to have taken the club on really well. We've been doing our financial restructuring whilst retaining our Premier League status, and we must now be a decent proposition for investors with us breaking even pretty much with a new huge TV deal on the way. The problem is you need skill and understanding of the game rather than huge money and it's difficult to find the right people.

The major difference is not the owners so much as they had Cortese running the day to day, whilst we had Faulkner. That Lerner thought that appointments like Faulkner and McLeish would be good enough for a club like Villa is why he has to go, in spite of his best intentions. 

never really understood why Faulkner is always one of main people to blame. He wasnt near the club when it was giving ridiculous contracts to people at the start

Lerner may have signed McLiesh, but im sure Faulkner never contested it, you can never recover your rep after that. He was well under qualified to be a CEO of a football club, not sure if he ever even kicked a ball. Lerners puppet thats all. 

Read today that Southampton have made a profit of £34 million.

It really does show we don't need to throw money away and break FFP regulations to be a decent team. Hopefully the next owner makes better decisions than Lerner has.

and everyone slated her when she took over thinking she was just raping the club...

I was was of the ones who didn't want Randy and knew this would happen all along....

I thought my prayers had been answered when he came...truly believed something special was on the horizon.  How wrong could one possibly be, abject failure.

I was was of the ones who didn't want Randy and knew this would happen all along....

I thought my prayers had been answered when he came...truly believed something special was on the horizon. How wrong could one possibly be, abject failure.

hindsight is brilliant, to be fair it could have gone the other way!! At one point we were the 2nd biggest spenders in Eurpoe!!! Guess that just clarifies MON as being shite!!! My point being he was prepared to through some cash at it, but at someone who payed £8m for NigelRC

never really understood why Faulkner is always one of main people to blame. He wasnt near the club when it was giving ridiculous contracts to people at the start

100% correct, I think the problem was know one ever really knew what he was in charge of?!?!

Â