Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Got it all wrong today, Paul. Stop with the stupid formation. 

Agree with that if we`d lost, but at least it was a point away. Beggars can`t be choosers. It`s the home tactics that worry me more.

It was still the wrong decision despite the result. It's kind of what worries me about Paul this year. You can have the right decision and the wrong result, like we've had a couple times this year already, but it seems like Paul is sacrificing a braver decision to play an actual attacking formation in favor of getting points.

What was once a very optimistic manager has become, perhaps, too much of a realist. You have to start believing in your team again, Paul, if you want move forward.

We really aren`t in a position with the players we`ve got to play brave attacking football away anywhere. Don`t even do it at home

Got it all wrong today, Paul. Stop with the stupid formation. 

Agree with that if we`d lost, but at least it was a point away. Beggars can`t be choosers. It`s the home tactics that worry me more.

It was still the wrong decision despite the result. It's kind of what worries me about Paul this year. You can have the right decision and the wrong result, like we've had a couple times this year already, but it seems like Paul is sacrificing a braver decision to play an actual attacking formation in favor of getting points.

What was once a very optimistic manager has become, perhaps, too much of a realist. You have to start believing in your team again, Paul, if you want move forward.

We really aren`t in a position with the players we`ve got to play brave attacking football away anywhere. Don`t even do it at home

I don't believe that.

Guzan

Bacuna Vlaar Baker Clark

Sylla Westwood KEA

Helenius Benteke Tonev

No, it's not ideal. But we would keep the ball better and create more chances. To play the 5-3-2 like we did today was to concede West Ham the midfield and defend the crosses, which is pointless with their 0 striker formation. It's not the right way to set up Paul and while it might get us 1 point away, do we really want to be a team that's afraid of West Ham?

That formation suggested Lambert just wanted to stop the run of defeats. That's surely against his own beliefs of playing to win every game.

There was no need to play 5 defenders against a side playing no recognised striker's. He could have played Lowton at right back and Baker at left back and juggled around his midfield and front three.

I am not against Lambert by any means but team selections are sometimes questionable and he really does need a win asap to keep the doubters quiet.

We saw signs during the last four months of last season that the shape and set up of the team was really beginning to bloom to the idea that Lambert wanted... This season has just seemed a bit messy so far, all over the place. Whether or not the new players we've brought in just haven't worked to Lambert's idea or not, I don't know but Lambert seems really confused at the moment as to what he wants this team to set up like. It's frustrating to see.

I don't think injuries have helped to be fair.

It's a fair point but I don't think we've had injuries to the level of having to really change the shape of the side to accommodate different types of players though. Although a genuine positive has been the organisation of the defence, when we go into games at the moment I don't see an organised team, one with a philosophy or identity, more of just a bit of a rabble that might sting on the counter and that's our only trick. I was hoping we might look like a stronger unit at this point, but who knows... it really still is early days. 

Yet again the same boring rhetoric from our manager after a crap performance

Resilience effort blah blah blah

No acknowledgement of tactics or anything remotely football related

And how long is he going to say we've had a decent start considering the teams we have faced

Can he use it when we lose to Cardiff?

We are 11 games in Paul...get over it

We saw signs during the last four months of last season that the shape and set up of the team was really beginning to bloom to the idea that Lambert wanted... This season has just seemed a bit messy so far, all over the place. Whether or not the new players we've brought in just haven't worked to Lambert's idea or not, I don't know but Lambert seems really confused at the moment as to what he wants this team to set up like. It's frustrating to see.

I don't think injuries have helped to be fair.

It's a fair point but I don't think we've had injuries to the level of having to really change the shape of the side to accommodate different types of players though. Although a genuine positive has been the organisation of the defence, when we go into games at the moment I don't see an organised team, one with a philosophy or identity, more of just a bit of a rabble that might sting on the counter and that's our only trick. I was hoping we might look like a stronger unit at this point, but who knows... it really still is early days. 

True, but we were without some important players today: Delph, Luna (offers a lot going forward) and Gabby. Benteke still doesn't look completely fit either. We could really do with that international break being now instead of after next weekend.

We just have so many mediocre players. Fair enough they try hard so you can't fault them, but they just aren't that good. It's fair enough going for 'young hungry players', but we need to be signing 'young, hungry players' with the potential to grow into good premier league players. 

We sign players who, at best, will be decent squad players because we spend 2 mil a signing. Of course you can get bargains occasionally, but what percentage of signings at this price are anything other than decent squad players? If 1 in 5 turns out to be good you have done pretty well. The reason they cost so little is simply cos they aren't very highly rated and unless you believe in football alchemy there is usually a reason they aren't that highly rated.

How many quality players cost less than 2 million in the whole league? (excluding Bosmans and kids) Plenty of decent players can be got for 4-5 mil though, but we don't even aim that high.

How many of our players apart from Benteke, Guzan and possibly now Delph would fetch a fee of more than 5 million? To be honest, those 3 players are probably worth more than the rest of the squad combined.

How many of Lambert's signings have significantly increased in value apart from the one we paid a significant fee for? We aren't discovering gems, we are signing below average players that remain below average players. 

Lambert hasn't done a bad job so far, but he's not exactly punching above his weight either. Our passing and movement is abysmal so we have <40% possession almost every week. West Ham managed by long ball Sam were like Barcelona compared to us today.

I understand that we are currently paying for our woeful mismanagement over the past few years. But, assuming we stay up, if at the end of this season we don't move out of 'consolidation' mode and start showing some ambition in our signings, then we will have to assume that we are simply content to avoid relegation every year.

Edited by botak
  • Like 1

We just have so many mediocre players. Fair enough they try hard so you can't fault them, but they just aren't that good. It's fair enough going for 'young hungry players', but we need to be signing 'young, hungry players' with the potential to grow into good premier league players. 

There's an expression 'if you pay peanuts you get monkeys'.

We can't expect to have a quality team that plays good football when the chairman gives the manager a pittance of a budget.

I enjoyed watching us play during the second half of last season but the football we've been playing this season just gets me annoyed. The passing game we started playing after christmas was working quite well and I can't see us winning anything playing hoofball against medicore teams. We should be trying to dominate play, keep the ball and wait for the opportune moment to slot a through ball into space. Our current football seems to rely either on the oppositions defenders cocking up or is getting away with a counter arttack. The counters will only be fast enough if our defenders/CDMs rapidly attack the attacker in posession of the ball. Sadly, this is not happening. Our defenders seem to wait until the attacker tries something to get around them instead of pressing. The opposition have too much time on the ball around our box, something our strikers never seem to have. Sylla and Delph are the only players who go straight in there. This should be their main objective week in week out. Obviously Benteke is going to get less space and time on the ball because he is getting doubled every match. This is meant to be countered by our players making clever runs to draw the defenders away from CB. According to many people on here, this is one of Weimanns strengths. In his current form, he is not able to concentrate on this. Instead, he is trying to make the chances himself. To our frustration (and possibly his own aswell) he does not posess the technical nor the mental ability to convert such chances into goals. My conclusion is that Paul Lambert needs to focus on the strengths of the players and alter his tactics acording to them. For the cardiff match I would like to see something like this: Guzan Lowton Vlaar Clark Baker Sylla Delph Bacuna Tonev Helenius Benteke In addition I think Tonev should take the corners whipping them in aiming for an assist instead of floating them in with the aim of heading the ball down before being forced over the line. Bacuna and tonev both have the ability to cross or cut in and go for the shot. I see a little bit of Berbatov in Helenius and think he might just do well playing behind CB. Longest text I've ever posted ^^ Ps: Sorry for the missing commas! :)

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

I think this can be shaping up to be Villa's dullest season since 2004-2005 when we came 10th and nothing happened. Quite looking forward to it after the last 3 seasons of car crash football management at the Villa.

I can see that too. I don't think we'll ever be in big danger of relegation but I don't think we'll be in contention for Europe either.

however you shuffle this pack of players - i don't see them ever being much more than above relegation zone - the quality just isn't there. Thats mostly because of the limited funds lambo has - but equally Lambert has wasted some of those funds on players no better than what he struggled with last season.  I think this is starting to dawn on him - he realizes the best this teaM can be is no nonense in defence and hope Benteke gets the goals.

I think he will be off when the time suits him - I would expect next season to be his last