Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Just thought I'd comment on how absolutely awful we were. What's the point in playing 2 strikers when we can't get the ball to them? Pretty much playing with 9 men yesterday. Tactically awful, our style of football is awful and to be honest, I really don't think Lambert has much of a clue. Woeful performance from the manager. Woeful performance from the team. Yet again going to the football ruined a good day out. Were so boring to watch. Were more direct than stoke were.

Just thought I'd comment on how absolutely awful we were. What's the point in playing 2 strikers when we can't get the ball to them? Pretty much playing with 9 men yesterday. Tactically awful, our style of football is awful and to be honest, I really don't think Lambert has much of a clue. Woeful performance from the manager. Woeful performance from the team. Yet again going to the football ruined a good day out. Were so boring to watch. Were more direct than stoke were.

That's what I was trying to say last night. I don't understand how we have done a complete uturn in style from what we played the end of last season. Every ball we play now is a hoof by passing the middle.

Apparently Lambert said this after the game:

"It was always going to be hard here and it was a difficult, physical game, but we competed brilliantly.

"Our counter-attacking is a threat and I'm delighted with the lads' attitude and I thought our resilience was excellent."

The words "brilliant", "excellent" and "delighted" weren't the first three that came to my mind after the game that's for sure

Edit: I would have said a good point, but our shit home form is pressurizing us to win games like this

Edited by rjw63
  • Like 1

Sad to see that so many are frustrated :(

They'd be just as frustrated if we were fighting for top four.  There's no patience among fans today and having so much coverage of the game in the media and on the net just adds to the frustration.  

We're in transition and we're steadily improving.  If we finish comfortably mid-table this year that will be  progress and allows us to build again for improvement next year.  All this moaning and failure to see the bigger picture smacks of the Venky's boardroom at Blackburn Rovers.

• Like 2

Yeah, it is sad. We've been well off our form individually and collectively from the back end of last season. Collectively however we have defended way better and managed to get results through a really tough start. Everton could have gone better, yesterday could have gone better, even without getting close to our form last season.

We have the potential to play at least as well as the end of last season again though, plus now we have some others to add to that group. Tony Moon and Bacuna, the outstanding form of Delph and a better KEA are all assets which end of last season weren't available. We'll see the performances pick up again, we need to see Benteke, Weimann, Gabby, Westwood etc. pick up their form and put a few results togather to give the group some more confidence. I still think we'll be midtable with 50 odd points come May. We knew it would be ups and downs this year, but the downs (I'd say we are in a down at the mo, no doubt) will be nothign compared to last year around Christmas and we have potential to play better than last year so the ups will be worth waiting for.

• Like 1

Opportunity missed here.

Playing 5-3-2 against a side that struggles to win at home and had no striker is criminal.

Somewhat forced by injuries I'd say, had Delph been available we might have played 4 at the back, Bacuna at RB and Baker at left back and Lowton on the bench. Still 3 CBs isn't a priori the wrong choice with them having 6 in midfield effectively, it meant we had 5 in that area when Bacuna and Lowton moved forward. 

Opportunity missed here.

Playing 5-3-2 against a side that struggles to win at home and had no striker is criminal.

Somewhat forced by injuries I'd say, had Delph been available we might have played 4 at the back, Bacuna at RB and Baker at left back and Lowton on the bench. Still 3 CBs isn't a priori the wrong choice with them having 6 in midfield effectively, it meant we had 5 in that area when Bacuna and Lowton moved forward. 

Agreed - except they rarely moved forward. At one stage there in the first half I saw all 5 back marking only Noble.

Should always be 4 at the back as that gives you the most stability/flexibility. Never 3 or 5.

They'd be just as frustrated if we were fighting for top four.  There's no patience among fans today and having so much coverage of the game in the media and on the net just adds to the frustration.  

We're in transition and we're steadily improving.  If we finish comfortably mid-table this year that will be  progress and allows us to build again for improvement next year.  All this moaning and failure to see the bigger picture smacks of the Venky's boardroom at Blackburn Rovers.

Not sure what you`re on about but if you even bothered to read last years posts u will see most had patience even after 8-0 defeat and saw a progression. We have went back this year and are playing shocking hoof football, backed up by possision stats. We all saw the bigger picture last year but that has been coloured out. Getting sick of Lambert coming out with same tripe every week after matches which isn't true. Giving your user name, you are obvs a Celtic/Scott and will back Lambert no matter what. P.s I was Lambert's biggest fan last year and I'm only now starting to get feed up.

While I'm disappointed at the style of play and performances, I think we should give Lambert time to sort it out. I'm pretty sure he'd like to see us playing like we did towards the end of last season just as much as we do. He's made some mistakes but he hasn't been helped by injuries and the fixture list either. Even now in what you could say is a bit of a bad run of form, we still don't look anywhere near as bad as we did at a lot of points last season.

I was one of the people that were vocal pro Lambert last season and quite relaxed because I saw the improvements in the football and there was little doubt that we were getting better and better toward the end of the season.

I was very excited after the Chelsea match this season, which was our best match. Winning somewhat fortunately against Arsenal with great enthusiasm among the players were great, but it was even better seeing how we outplayed Chelsea in the first half.

But now we are back in a somewhat unfortunate situation. We play bad, it seems that some of our great new young players last year are struggling and the enthusiasm seems to be gone.

Yes, we are much better than we were at our worst last season defensively, but I am getting worried. We have to turn the matches against West Ham, Hull and their likes into win if we are gonna end in a comfortable first half (which I still predict).

High of the season: First half agains Chelsea

Low of the season: Not taking on West Ham in the second half. They were there for the taking.

• Like 1

No we're not progressing. In the last 4 years we've taken about 4 steps backwards and about 1 step forward. That's not progress, we've gone backwards. We used to have a team packed out with internationals, now we have a team packed out with lower league fodder and cheap foreigners. Our one and only luxury is Benteke and it's only a matter of time before we cash in on him just like we've cashed in on every other decent player we've had over the last few years.

Wake up and smell the coffee, the Villa are in decline!

• Like 2

Concerning this debate with you i've made no 'sarky comments' and if you don't like the answers to your questions then don't ask the questions in the first place unless you're prepared to listen to someone else's opinion without insults - I apologise for "sarky comments" - I meant that if you truly believe revolution is called for you need to do more than moan on a website to change things

No-one is expecting 50m to be spent in one window but an 11m net expenditure when there were glaring weaknesses in the team is tantamount to negligence by the chairman especially when you also consider the increase in revenue from TV money - ????? I agreed that 11m is not enough to make us a top six and neither would £50m - I didn't for one second suggest anyone was expecting us to spend that much

Concerning the transfer of Barry. After Liverpool didn't meet our valuation it was agreed between both player and manager that Barry would stay for another season to see if we could meet his ambitions. You seem to be ruling out the possibility of another club coming in for Barry when his transfer to Liverpool collapsed. Barry wanted to go but Liverpool wanted him on the cheap - nothing to do with Barry being prepared to give it one more season

I agree that not being a top six side isn't all down to Lambert.  ?????????????? If you think not being a top six side is 1% down to Lambert your quite deluded!! Most of the blame for that lies with the chairman but in one of your previous posts while you were debating with someone else you mentioned the turn over of players purchased by Lambert. So this is his squad is it not, formed by his choice of player and as you have already agreed with me, those players have shown that they are no better than mid table quality at best and at worst relegation material so Lambert cannot be excluded from criticism especially when you also consider that several of his purchases on a limited budget are not considered good enough to get into the first team even when we have injuries. You've got a bit muddled here but Lambert has been given the resources so far to produce a lower mid-table side - thats what we are. He's spent an average of  2m per player and been required to move out all the higher paid existing squad at the same time

Taking that into consideration you cannot say by any stretch of the imagination that with the exception of Benteke Lambert has done a good job in formulating his own squad at Villa Park because at the moment we are no better than where we were under McLeish. - We are in a much better position now than at any time under McLeish and are 5 points ahead of the same fixtures last season - so slow progress. We've been poor in the last few games but encouragingly we seem more solid this season. Loss of Gabby, Delph and Luna (plus Okore) meant that we had to play with 4 players filling in so not sure what your point about Lamberts buy not being good enough for the first team means - it's a 25 man squad, they can't all play! 

We need to improve on the last few perfromances but I'm backing Lambert for a 10th-12th place finsih this season - better players to come in and a top 8 finish the season after. Happy for you to keep plotting revolution (is Berbatov, Bent, Rednapp and Adam still in your plans?)

Lambert put it best when he said this might have been one of those that might have slipped away from us last season. If he can balance our gung-ho attacking from last year and our much improved and welcome solidity at the back from this season, I think our style of play will improve as well. But results come first and we seem to be doing okay on that front.

I was unhappy with the team selection yesterday as it appeared to me that Lambert was going safety first. I personally thought that would be a game we should have gone after because they had no strikers.

What yesterday really showed up was our lack of strength in depth and that is not the fault of Lambert when he has circa 16 million to bring in several players.

I am gutted at where we are as a club but we could have Mourinho as manager, Wenger as his assistant and Alex Ferguson as Director of Football and we still wouldn't be much better. The problem lies solely at the top and until the owner starts showing more passion for the club, either by investing more in the team or selling up to someone who can, we are going to continue to see what we've been witnessing for the last 3 or 4 seasons.

No we're not progressing. In the last 4 years we've taken about 4 steps backwards and about 1 step forward. That's not progress, we've gone backwards. We used to have a team packed out with internationals, now we have a team packed out with lower league fodder and cheap foreigners. Our one and only luxury is Benteke and it's only a matter of time before we cash in on him just like we've cashed in on every other decent player we've had over the last few years.

Wake up and smell the coffee, the Villa are in decline!

This is the Paul Lambert thread. He wasn't here for the best part of the 4 years you speak of, and the one step forward that we took in that time was in all likelihood taken during his tenure.

I don't really know how people can say we're in decline. We were in near constant decline from early 2010 to the beginning of this year but since then things have generally been getting better. If we finish higher this season than we did last season (and I think we will) then that'll be the second year in a row we've finished higher than the previous season. We may not be rapidly improving but we're definitely not in decline.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1