Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Lambert should be judged once he is backed with real money. What he is being asked to do is buy ready made premier league players for 1-2m a piece.

It diesnt happen Like that.. you will get one, maybe two, who can fit right in, the rest need time and plenty if it.

Fortunately for Lerner, once again the manager will get the stick and he can pick the next manager to back with little money, till the fans blame him too.

Doug sure wishes he did things the Lerner way.

Lambert will do just fine with the money he has been given.

Lerner has little choice but to fund it how he does, and I dont think PL really cares. I think he wants to show he doesn't need pots of money, and i think he will show it.

I don't think our current lack of goals is too surprising. Last year we relied heavily on our front 3 and just recently we've had a combination of Weimann being out of form, Benteke being injured/lacking fitness and likewise for Gabby. We need more goals from midfield but I'm confident this goal drought won't last forever.

I think it will unless lambert gives the midfield a bit of a licence to push forward. From the way we set up against a team like west ham with no strikers thats not going to happen.

Last year we played good football and stayed up. Everyone was pleased as we had a plan and all could see a bright future. Reason i am so disappointed this season is that we look like we have went backwards. I was Lamberts number 1 fan last season as my post history will show, but im starting to weaver. Not only is the football we are serving up shocking but lamberts transfer buys made no sense.

I ask u all this. Would u rather finish 14/15th and play good football or play mcleish style and finish 10/11th. I know id rather be entertained and look like we are progressing.

People wont like this but we are starting to turn into a hoof team and vilas boas might prove to be to far off the mark.

"Did we have a plan"?

Fu##in priceless

Did we have a plan though ? - I always thought Baker coming in for Clark was key, Lambert dispensed totally with Ireland \ Bent - and we knew what we had to do.......win games !!!!!! draws wouldn't be enough.   Did we have a plan ? or did the best team + tactics present itself ?.  

Weiman IMO should have been dropped a few games back (much like Clark last season) - so perhaps the best combination will present itself again. Whilst I haven't been taken with Kozak - Benteke came to life when he came on today .....

Comparing games from last season is completely meaningless, especially when you have to choose what team to replace the relegated team with.  We're still bottom half, playing shit football.

Well you can decide it is meaningless, but it actually, factually, does have meaning.

It demonstrates, with actual facts, which I know does annoy people and is nowhere near as good as ignorance and blind prejudice, that Team for Team we ar egetting better results than last year, so far.

Now, you may or may not care, or you may not like the football, but you are quite wrong to describe it as meaningless.

No, it is meaningless.  Three of last year's teams we won't be playing.  Three new teams didn't have corresponding results last year.  You can't say Hull = QPR or whatever, they're entirely different teams.  In any case, being marginally better than last year, which was just about as bad as it gets, isn't saying much.

It's a balancing act though, whilst looking more solid is a good thing, doing that at the expense of any possession is ridiculous. Our frontline is shot to pieces by injury and poor form which exposes how powder puff our midfield are. We literally bypass the midfield every chance we get with hoof balls.

Are we going to go against Cardiff with a view to getting a goal less draw?

The thing about Lambert is his teams pre villa were always really fun to watch. They conceded a shitload yes, but the entertainment value was always there because attacks were quick and they always scored a shitload. That's why I'd have faith this is just a blip.

Lambert should be judged once he is backed with real money. What he is being asked to do is buy ready made premier league players for 1-2m a piece.

It diesnt happen Like that.. you will get one, maybe two, who can fit right in, the rest need time and plenty if it.

Fortunately for Lerner, once again the manager will get the stick and he can pick the next manager to back with little money, till the fans blame him too.

Doug sure wishes he did things the Lerner way.

Lambert will do just fine with the money he has been given.

Lerner has little choice but to fund it how he does, and I dont think PL really cares. I think he wants to show he doesn't need pots of money, and i think he will show it.

When will you finally start to worry about what Lerner and Lambert are doing to Villa? What will it take, relegation?

That would be too late wouldn't it?

3 clean sheets in a row away from home, first time we have done that since 2010, it seems Lambert has got us playing more negative to stop us conceding it has worked away from home but we are now to negative.

Compare the 9 games we have had against teams from last season

2012/13 - 3 points 22 goals conceded

2013/14 - 10 points 12 goals conceded

Edited by lmarsha_926

3 clean sheets in a row, first time we have done that since 2010, it seems Lambert has got us playing more negative to stop us conceding it has worked away from home but we are now to negative.

2012/13 - 3 points 21 goals conceded

Presume you mean 3 clean sheets in a row away from home?

I look at it as not scored in 4 and only 2 points from a possible 12 but your stats are interesting and positive.

However, Lambert dropped a clanger in the summer by not signing a creative attacking midfielder and instead signing 2 big strikers.

3 clean sheets in a row, first time we have done that since 2010, it seems Lambert has got us playing more negative to stop us conceding it has worked away from home but we are now to negative.

I look at it as not scored in 4 and only 2 points from a possible 12 but your stats are interesting and positive.

However, Lambert dropped a clanger in the summer by not signing a creative attacking midfielder and instead signing 2 big strikers.

i did mean away from home, we are 4th in the away table yet 18th in the home so we have the players to do well in the league. Hull, Spurs, west Ham and Everton are all in the top 6 for clean sheets this season so are tough teams to break down, we are ahead of Arsenal and United in that table who would of thought that at the start of the season.

We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I think it's a little unfair to say he dropped a clanger by not signing a creative attacking midfielder when for all we know he could've been interesting in several players that fit that description but simply couldn't afford it.

Also, Helenius is a lot different from Kozak.

It seems like the balance has tipped either side of being level, occasionally it will work depending on how much fortune we get with how the opposition are set up or by lucky breaks. I hope he will get us playing at a high level on a consistent basis but he hasn't achieved that yet. We seem to either concede and score a lot, or as at this moment concede fewer but not score any. If he can't find any solutions then I think you've got to question whether Lambert is as good as we all hope he is, how much time should he get though? I'll give him until this time next season, as I feel this is a consolidation season but we shouldn't be happy with long term mediocrity

If it is at all possible I would really like Lambert to make a cheeky loan bid for Milner in January. Granted we probably can't afford his wages and he is still getting game time at City but Jimmy would be ideal for us. I believe he has not started the last 3 premier league games for them which suggest Pellegrini is starting to find his best 11, with Milner not in it. Its World Cup year and a player of Milner's class should be the key midfield player of the club he plays for, and not become a utility bit part player. Come back James!

• Like 1

Yes well ifs and buts really isnt it, you could say that about every game of footy ever, were 4th in this table etc etc. Theres only one table that matters.

We'll finish around 14th/15th i reckon and over a season you arent in that sort of position because you were unlucky.

Yes well ifs and buts really isnt it, you could say that about every game of footy ever, were 4th in this table etc etc. Theres only one table that matters.

We'll finish around 14th/15th i reckon and over a season you arent in that sort of position because you were unlucky.

where we will finish will be based on results not performances, our current points total is better than our performances probably deserve.

• Like 1

How come this like for like comparison wasn't used last year?

How come during our worst start to a premier league season the criteria to show improvement was to compare the end of mcleishs season to the start of last year? Now it's completely different. Instead of comparing the same things it's now game for game comparisons.

TBH lambert is starting to look very average but I don't think we can do better than him. Yes he's making mistake but if we replaced him we'd end up with a manager that would just make different mistakes. Under this horrendous ownership the manager has to be 100% perfect because of the limitations he's working with.

The past few pages of this thread have been riddled with dodgy statistics. The use of partial statistics, carefully selected to support a particular viewpoint, is a shocking activity, usually confined to politicians. The only stat that really matters is the one that shows we are 13th in the table (14th if Cardiff win today) and have had a moderately better start to the season than 2012/3. So far we are doing enough to hover relatively comfortably below the top 10 but above the relegation zone. We are also conceding fewer goals than last season.

Any attempt to select particular stats that seek to show our progress is "really" better than that is just spin.

• Like 1