Paul Lambert

Pilchard

GUARANTEE he will say that it was a good performance and we should have won the game but just got unlucky with the two Benteke chances.

He literally might as well have put Hutton on the wing today. Obviously was happy with a point.

Big Lambert fan but games like the last four, all consecutively, make me question him and his "tactical" decisions more and more.

I hope he does come out and say that, I'd rather our manager not come out in public and say "yeah we played shit today."

Behind closed doors he can say what he wants to the players.

I always said it was these 5 games that were important ones, the next one against Cardiff is a must win. Hopefully Lambo can get something like the below out of the pre-Xmas games:

West Ham (Away) - 1 point

Cardiff (Home) - 3 points

West Brom (Away) - 1 points

Sunderland (Home) - 3 points

Southampton (Away) - 0

He says the same old sh*t every week. I'm personally sick of it and would prefer an explanation/for him to show a bit of honesty to the fans? But fair enough if you'd rather gobble up recycled cliches week in week out.

It isn't about what we hear though.

What sense would it make to come out in public and slate the team? How would that help them to improve? 

If he's going to slate them I'd rather he do it behind closed doors.

Obviously, out of what was given to him, he could have signed a central attacking midfielder, but he chose not to because he felt other areas were a priority.

I'm not sure I agree with this. If the Kyo price rumours are correct and Belhanda's wages are correct then I think Lambert had his hands tied.

The disturbing thing is that against Cardiff, we know that even they will come to Villa Park and dominate us. We will play the same so called "tactics" as usual . For the life of me I can`t understand why Lambert didn`t go out and buy a recognised midfield playmaker unless he thinks that side of things are unimportant if we can keep on hoofing it to a big striker.

Speak for yourself.

Do you actually think we are good enough in any department to dominate any side ?

I'm starting to think lambert was quite lucky stumbling on to a formation that ended up working last season.

Because before half time at Newcastle last year and most of this year he's looked unable to put a team out that will perform well.

Lerner is clearly the main issue here but days like today do not help Lambert's case.

Since that PR letter to the fans we've looked so negative as a team.

Obviously, out of what was given to him, he could have signed a central attacking midfielder, but he chose not to because he felt other areas were a priority.

I'm not sure I agree with this. If the Kyo price rumours are correct and Belhanda's wages are correct then I think Lambert had his hands tied.

Well obviously there are attacking midfielders out there not called Kyo or Belhanda to choose from. The fact is he could have signed one but chose to sign Kozak and Tonev instead. I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad move at the time.... Just pointing out he chose to use his resources in a way that meant he didn't get a central attacking midfielder.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Well obviously there are attacking midfielders out there not called Kyo or Belhanda to choose from. The fact is he could have signed one but chose to sign Kozak and Tonev instead. I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad move at the time.... Just pointing out he chose to use his resources in a way that meant he didn't get a central attacking midfielder.

Just because we sign one doesn't mean he'll be a good one either. Maybe there wasn't one in our price range that would have improved us. It isn't as simple as that.

Got it all wrong today, Paul. Stop with the stupid formation. 

Although I'm content with a point and a clean sheet, there wasn't any need for 5 defenders and I definitely think Lambert made a bad decision with his formation today. 

Just because we sign one doesn't mean he'll be a good one either. Maybe there wasn't one in our price range that would have improved us. It isn't as simple as that.

You could use the mentality of this defence to defend anything or anyone at the club.

It's a pretty weak one.

Although I'm content with a point and a clean sheet, there wasn't any need for 5 defenders and I definitely think Lambert made a bad decision with his formation today. 

I understand injuries will dictate some things, but that was an awful way to setup. Gave West Ham way too much credit.

None of us like to hear negativity or complaints about the club you support its human nature. But that should not mean that blind faith should stop people criticising and commenting on things when they are wrong . With lambert he is seriously lacking in so many areas with the job that randy has set out. Last year was dire this year again . He appears not to have the skills required for a job like this

I understand injuries will dictate some things, but that was an awful way to setup. Gave West Ham way too much credit.

Credit to the defence though, they did their jobs well bar a few silly Clark blunders and Bacuna being a bit off it after he took that knock to his leg.

Agree with that if we`d lost, but at least it was a point away. Beggars can`t be choosers. It`s the home tactics that worry me more.

It was still the wrong decision despite the result. It's kind of what worries me about Paul this year. You can have the right decision and the wrong result, like we've had a couple times this year already, but it seems like Paul is sacrificing a braver decision to play an actual attacking formation in favor of getting points.

What was once a very optimistic manager has become, perhaps, too much of a realist. You have to start believing in your team again, Paul, if you want move forward.

• Like 1

We saw signs during the last four months of last season that the shape and set up of the team was really beginning to bloom to the idea that Lambert wanted... This season has just seemed a bit messy so far, all over the place. Whether or not the new players we've brought in just haven't worked to Lambert's idea or not, I don't know but Lambert seems really confused at the moment as to what he wants this team to set up like. It's frustrating to see.

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

This is not inspiring stuff at the moment. Lambert had a free ride last season because he had to cut the wage bill and keep us up with little money and a squad inherited from his predecessor. A year on, most of the players are ones he's signed and he should be well and truly bedded in by now. I understand there will be ups and downs throughout the season and I'm willing to give Lambert the benefit of the doubt at the moment (I don't think we're in any danger of relegation given the dross that is below us so there's no question in my mind he gets the whole season) - but at the end of the year there won't be anywhere to hide.

The final points total and the league position don't lie, and they'd best be an improvement on last year's results.

Post game verdict:

Paul Lambert felt his side could have snuck the three points at Upton Park - but he was also more than satisfied with the draw.

Lambert pointed to clear-cut chances for forwards Christian Benteke and Andreas Weimannduring the 90 minutes.

But Villa boss Lambert was happy to leave the capital with the 0-0 result, considering the determined nature of the opposition and his own team's injury list.

He said: "I thought in terms of chances, we had the better ones.

"Christian had two in the second half and Andi had one in the first half.

"I think we had the best chances.

"It was always going to be difficult because it's a physical game but all credit to the team.

"Considering the injuries we have, I thought we stood up to a man and competed brilliantly.

"I was delighted with the lads because of their attitude. It was a clean sheet too. Last season, that might have been a game that would have got away from us.

"But the resilience I thought was excellent.

"They have come on leaps and bounds. We have started the season pretty decent considering the games we've had.

"It's another massive point for us away from home. It's a big point for us. The resilience and attitude, I don't have a problem.

"If we keep going we will have a good year."

Lambert was somewhat aggrieved by Ravel Morrison's challenge on Andreas Weimann in the first half, with the pace ace through on goal before being tugged back.

Lambert felt it was a clear foul although he accepted the decision of referee Howard Webb was made in good faith.

He added: "I saw it. I had a good chat with Howard. I had my view. Howard has his.

"I respect him because it's a difficult job. But I certainly think there was a tug on him.

"But Howard called it. Andi isn't a lad to stop when he's through."

Calling this a massive point for us and using words like brilliant & excellent after a game like this is pure comedy gold

We saw signs during the last four months of last season that the shape and set up of the team was really beginning to bloom to the idea that Lambert wanted... This season has just seemed a bit messy so far, all over the place. Whether or not the new players we've brought in just haven't worked to Lambert's idea or not, I don't know but Lambert seems really confused at the moment as to what he wants this team to set up like. It's frustrating to see.

I don't think injuries have helped to be fair.