Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I think the squad is dreadful. There are about 4/5 players of any quality and the rest are all very mediocre at best, we will really struggle when Benteke is sold on

....of course you do - that's your "thing" isn't it?

I think the squad is dreadful. There are about 4/5 players of any quality and the rest are all very mediocre at best, we will really struggle when Benteke is sold on

your telling me our squad is brilliant and we have more than 4/5 quality players then are you?? 

your telling me our squad is brilliant and we have more than 4/5 quality players then are you??

Why does something that isn't dreadful become brilliant? I can see a huge gulf between the two definitions. A gulf big enough to accommodate our squad.

• Like 1

Name me one example of a newly built squad that has become brilliant in 12 months. Pull your head out. They are all young enough to get better. That's what this is about.

Name me one example of a newly built squad that has become brilliant in 12 months. Pull your head out. They are all young enough to get better. That's what this is about.

The vast majority are very limited

The vast majority are very limited

We're a middle of the table team and have a middle of the table squad. Some will grow, some will fall by the wayside and be replaced by better players - Personally, I like this squad much more than the over-paid and under-enthused bunch that Lambert inherited. Even players that you would describe as "limited" are really trying and giving 100% every week - I'd much rather pay my money to watch a player like Westwood give everything than watch someone like Ireland half-heartedly stroll around on £60k a week.

We're not going to win anything any time soon so i'm going to take as much pleasure as I can seeing our young lions develop

How much time are you prepared to wait for that development VillaCas? This season, next season or beyond that and what if those young players don't develop in the way that you hope they will? They will have to make way for a second batch to come in and we wait on another period of development and so on?

The problem is VillaCas that through each developing period those players who shine most will be cherry picked while we try to develop a better team and consequently we'll be caught in a vicious circle of development rather than creating a better balanced side of experienced quality and youth which would give us a more solid base to build from.

Of course that experienced quality comes at a premium but Lerner won't have too many excuses left come next summer when we are finally rid of most of 'the bomb squad and one would hope that we'll see a more balanced transfer policy in two windows time rather than being drip fed potential.

As far as Aston Villa is concerned I doubt very much we'll be the club where Lambert realises his true potential.

In terms of fees he is being given a few quid to spend but in terms of wages it seems his hands are still very much tied and he is having to take chances on players with potential but unproven at the level we currently compete at.

I give it at the most two years before either Lamberts walks due to becoming totally pissed off with the lack of ambition from those above or he is sacked and made a scapegoat for the failings of the owner.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

As far as Aston Villa is concerned I doubt very much doubt we'll be the club where Lambert realises his true potential.

In terms of fees he is being given a few quid to spend but in terms of wages it seems his hands are still very much tied and he is having to take chances on players with potential but unproven at the level we currently compete at.

I give it at the most two years before either Lamberts walks due to becoming totally pissed off with the lack of ambition from those above or he is sacked and made a scapegoat for the failings of the owner.

Hes already saying he is no hurry to discuss a new contract. At the moment though I don't feel he has done enough to land a bigger club than Aston Villa. 

As far as Aston Villa is concerned I doubt very much doubt we'll be the club where Lambert realises his true potential.

Whatever happens in the future, the very least that Paul Lambert has done so far is change the mentality of the club for the good. He is breeding a philosophy of players having to earn their places in the team, and play for the club and not for the money. I wouldn't be surprised if Lambert is choosing not to spend big. After all, if big fees are paid for players, they expect big wages.

If in two years time, progress is still slow, and Lambert either walks or is pushed out, I will still be grateful for him implementing a more suitable ethos for our club. I don't think rapid success is what we need either. Look at what happened with Newcastle. They invested heavily, they smelt success, and then it disappeared in a flash. Now they seem to be the laughing stock of the league.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to complain if we spend £10m+ on a suitable player, but I'm still content with the way things are going. Build a stable structure for the future of the club, financially and on the pitch.

I dont know is it not many people noticing that or is it me that am over confident ..

We still didnt shift the whole bomb squad .. and maybe still we arent ready to pay and afford wages ..

But if we managed to get top 10 this year .. I think the club will get some quality player to upgrade our level ..

Most people were willing for us to have comfortable midtable .. some wanted top half .. which are all availabe .. so I dont really understand if someone aims for top half and got top half .. why would he say its runned badly ? For me my aim is getting back to europe and maybe challenging for top 4 .. and for that I think wise is needed ..

Mind if last year weve beaten chelsea and with Benteke against Wigan and won that .. we would have ended ninth or tenth .. Add west brom game and we would have ended up 8th in one of our worst season ..

Iffy links to young defenders/Midfielder Pontus Jansson (Malmö FF) & Lewis Kidd (Celtic).

2 talented players but who can't be expected to improve our starting 11 for a couple of seasons.

Still not sure if Lerner & Lambert are building a team for the future or for the Championship.

Then again it's probaly nothing in the links and we hopefully have better players lined up to address the very obvious and glaring weaknesses in our team

I'm not too unhappy with our squad - at the moment we are a lower-mid-table team and the squad reflects that.

Sadly, we've been in transition for four seasons but Lambert has only been at it for 12 months - he's already completely revamped the squad during tricky economic times and I'm looking forward to the gradual improvement to personnel as we move forward and see no reason why this shouldnt include promising youngsters alongside more experienced players

Good god, no wonder Lerner and Lambert get such an easy ride with fans as apathetic as this.

Where's the pride in the club. We never used to accept rubbish in the Ellis days but we do now. Where did it all go so wrong??

• Like 1

Hes already saying he is no hurry to discuss a new contract. At the moment though I don't feel he has done enough to land a bigger club than Aston Villa.

I had to laugh when I read the Lambert contract story. Please someone tell me what he's done to deserve another contract at our great club! He should count himself extremely lucky to still be in a job!

We can moan about Lambert, saying he should have bought an AM instead of Kozak, but surely the main to blame is the one who gave him the 4.5m to spend, let's face it there aren't many Michu's about and so Lambert had to cut his cloth. Again.

So, we need to focus on who gave him such a piddly budget...

As far as Aston Villa is concerned I doubt very much we'll be the club where Lambert realises his true potential.

Again, I agree.

FWIW I agree with Lambo in his press conference. I'm still seeing progress being made from last season. Are the unhappy few simply expecting to much too soon?

Too much too soon?

This will be our 4th consecutive season of struggle. When has that ever happened in the last 35 - 40 years? Why have we as a fan base become so passive and accept such crap when we have never done before? Lerner must have released some kind of brainwashing drugs to the masses at Villa Park while no one was looking.

I've never known Villa fans to be so apathetic as this. We used to demand a certain standard at Villa but now we sit back and accept the scraps Lerner throws at us like nodding dogs. Grow a pair for f#ck sake and show some passion in the club!

I had to laugh when I read the Lambert contract story. Please someone tell me what he's done to deserve another contract at our great club! He should count himself extremely lucky to still be in a job!

Yeah, no

Edited by Keyblade

Again, I agree.

He's had £40m the last two years, not a fortune, but not a pittance either.  He chose to spend it how he has.