U.S. Politics

maqroll

32 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s the point, when the people doing it across the US in 2020 were brown (and white) it wasn’t called terrorism. Because it’s not.   

That said taking over the seat of government is extremely serious, even if the cast from a bad Netflix series had no idea what to do once they had. 

Whether it was technically terrorism or not, my flippant point was they would be labelled as terrorists if they were brown.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Please show me the news article from when the BLM protests forced their way in to the House of Congress.

Congress is a Federal building. Federal building were attacked, damaged and/or occupied by BLM protesters all over the US. Manhattan, Portland, Atlanta, LA and Las Vegas, just from memory. Sure a quick google search would flag many more. 

It was protest and political violence for sure, but not terrorism. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Awol said:

Congress is a Federal building. Federal building were attacked, damaged and/or occupied by BLM protesters all over the US. Manhattan, Portland, Atlanta, LA and Las Vegas, just from memory. Sure a quick google search would flag many more. 

It was protest and political violence for sure, but not terrorism. 

The big difference is that the Capitol holds the government, the other places may have held part of a state's staff, but it's nowhere near as important as where the Senate and the bloody Congress sits. It's like comparing a fountain in Blackpool (public building) to the Parliament.

Edited by magnkarl

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

The big difference is the the Capitol holds the government, the other places may have held part of a state's staff, but it's nowhere near as important as where the Senate and the bloody Congress sits. It's like comparing a fountain in Blackpool (public building) to the Parliament.

More like the offices of Birmingham City Council and Parliament, but yes I understand the point. I really don’t want to take this off topic any further though, just mentally scarred by unresolvable definition of terrorism debates. 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

this is normal

Sad to say but I am not even surprised by these results. Majority of Trump supporters thought the election was in the bag for him and he would not lose. Since he did lose and getting closer and closer for him to leave the White House, they are beside themselves.

Will Biden be an infinitely better President? Hard to say. But what I can say is that as an American I just hope things improve sooner rather than later. We are a Nation full of hate right now, when we need to be a Nation of togetherness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big Salad said:

Sad to say but I am not even surprised by these results. Majority of Trump supporters thought the election was in the bag for him and he would not lose. Since he did lose and getting closer and closer for him to leave the White House, they are beside themselves.

Will Biden be an infinitely better President? Hard to say. But what I can say is that as an American I just hope things improve sooner rather than later. We are a Nation full of hate right now, when we need to be a Nation of togetherness.

Biden is a bit like 2021. If he can just sit still in the bloody boat, be sensible, not use twitter 24\7 like his personal trash bin and not further increase the pandemic\bushfires people will praise the lord.

Edited by magnkarl

It’s shocking how much resonance the Civil War still has in the US psyche. 

The notable change is the switch of black Americans away from the Republicans who fought for their freedom, to the Democrats, who fought against it.  

The Democrats taking Georgia is probably more significant in the realignment of US politics than the passing spectacle of yesterday’s protest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

***Pedant Alert***

There is no singular of dungarees AND those aren't dungarees

Dungaree fabric is a historical term for an Indian coarse thick calico cloth.

We've both learned something today :)

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Al Wilson nailed it. 

One of my favourite songs of all time and my phone ring for about 2 years.

In fact, see my location!

I don't get anyone saying that wasn't terrorism. You actively enter federal buildings by force, using weapons, explosives and more. You actively hurt people, or intend to hurt people by your actions. 

They might be called Huckleberry and Jeb James III, and not Muhammad and Basheer. They might be white and not have black beards. But this was an act of domestic terrorism any way you look at it. 

I can't get my head around any person or law distinction saying this wasn't terrorism. It blatantly was. 

Looking at the Oxford dictionary it's defined as "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims."

The only thing that isn't checked there is the harm done to civilians, but I'm sure you can argue a domestic terrorism occurs with the destruction of the very symbol of national democracy that exists for the civilian population. 

But please convince me otherwise. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Â