U.S. Politics

maqroll

It’s not terrorism per se but political violence. Violent protesters forced their way into a Federal building to disrupt the democratic process. That’s happened many times across the US in the last 8 months or so. 

These clowns thought they were acting at the direction of their President and commander in chief, so if you wanted to call it terrorism (which it isn’t, according to arch anti-Trumper and ex-CIA head John Brennan) it would be state sponsored terrorism, directed by the US President, against the US. That’s Pakistan levels of messed up. 

Not minimizing the seriousness of what happened, it was shocking political violence but not terrorism - or even a coup attempt, see thread below

• Like 3

There is literally nothing about trump that would shock me any more. 

A sitting President openly embracing and encouraging the most extreme right wing and wildly out there mental fringe groups who in any other country/administration would be considered highly of dangerous and probably subject to specific police surveillance due to their dangerous activities. 

Literally if they started public mob hangings, impaling babies and burning witches in the street it would no longer surprise me.

We all knew he would be nuts and massively unstatesmanlike but did anyone really believe from the outset it would become this bad? 

Surely SURELY there is a majority amongst the 73m people who voted for him who now realise he cannot ever be in power again.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Less than an hour until King Joffrey is allowed back on Twitter. Unless they extend the ban which I guess they will.

The conditions were deleting the tweets. We'll see if he does.

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean I thought I explained it pretty well. But I’ll try again. 

Fundamentally because the data being used, or rather the data the author has reverse engineered, is absolutely and totally incorrect. That should be enough. 

But to try and explain it in detail. Let’s say Biden currently has exactly 1,000,000 votes and Trump has 1,000,000 votes. Exactly 50/50

A new batch of votes arrive. Let’s say it’s 50,000 votes. Because of the way the author is incorrectly extracting his data, he would assume this batch of votes was a 50/50 split (because he’s wrongly using the cumulative percentage split). So by his calculations it’s now 1,025,000 votes to Biden vs 1,025,000 votes for Trump. 

In reality, let’s say all 50,000 new votes were for Biden. The author has assumed half of those votes are Trump’s. But they’re not, in reality they’ve all gone to Biden. So in fact it’s 1,050,000 Biden vs 1,000,000 Trump and it’s now 51% vs 49%

But the author doesn’t know this. All he can see is the top level data given on the NY Times website. This now says total votes of 2,050,000 and a split of 51%vs49% (rounded)

So he does 49% of 2,050,000 and gets to 1,000,000 and thinks hang on! I’ve counted trump’s votes and he had 1,025,000 so he’s lost 25,000 votes!! And wait, Biden should only have 1,025,000 but he’s now got 1,050,000 so he’s gained 25,000 votes out of nowhere!

He does that multiple times and you get the timeline set out in the original chart. 

Ive massively simplified the numbers so the percentages may not add up exactly, but you should hopefully get my point

@villianusa just to add to this post, you said you didn't agree with my original analysis. The data used for that chart and the other charts is available online. The author posted it to show full transparency of his data, which is why the errors are so easily exposed. If you do some googling you can get to it so I would be interested to see what you think of it. You should be able to see the error he's made for yourself

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

It’s not terrorism per se but political violence. Violent protesters forced their way into a Federal building to disrupt the democratic process. That’s happened many times across the US in the last 8 months or so. 

These clowns thought they were acting at the direction of their President and commander in chief, so if you wanted to call it terrorism (which it isn’t, according to arch anti-Trumper and ex-CIA head John Brennan) it would be state sponsored terrorism, directed by the US President, against the US. That’s Pakistan levels of messed up. 

Not minimizing the seriousness of what happened, it was shocking political violence but not terrorism - or even a coup attempt, see thread below

If they were brown it would be terrorism

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Less than an hour until King Joffrey is allowed back on Twitter. Unless they extend the ban which I guess they will.

Genuinely thought they might remove him today, but now he’s conceded maybe they’ll just keep in isolated for 14 days.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

It would 100% fit into the UK definition of terrorism:

Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public.  It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

What happened yesterday without question fills all that criteria and then some. 

Edited by sidcow

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

If they were brown it would be terrorism

That’s the point, when the people doing it across the US in 2020 were brown (and white) it wasn’t called terrorism. Because it’s not.   

That said taking over the seat of government is extremely serious, even if the cast from a bad Netflix series had no idea what to do once they had. 

19 minutes ago, Awol said:

They brought a literal bomb with them.

4 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Wouldn't surprise me if some sort of under the table deal has been done where Trump is pardoned in exchange for conceding.

Doubt it. He's thrown the only guy who can pardon him (Pence) under the bus. Normally in these situations the president pardons the VP, quits shortly before the 20th, then gets pardoned by the now new president. Pence wants to run for the office himself, if he pardons this maniac he'll lose a lot of the moderate Christian mid-west states who have voted with their noses pinched for Trump.

2 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Wouldn't surprise me if some sort of under the table deal has been done where Trump is pardoned in exchange for conceding.

Why would that be necessary?

Biden is taking over one way or another and I think after yesterday support for Trump will begin to wane even in the hardcore ranks.

Its easy to get caught up in something like yesterday, there’s something thrilling and exhilarating about being in a mob, s some of the idiots who interviewed stated - they thought they were the forefront of a revolution, the tip of the spear. 
In the cold light of day when they see and hear the news today and realise that they’re being denounced as domestic terrorists, insurrectionists and rioters a deep level of shame will wash over some of them for sure.

They’ve ended up as the total opposite of what they thought they were, all thanks to their egotistical, maniacal and abhorrent leader - I only hope they turn their anger on him.

Not that I’m necessarily advocating for it but I can see Trump being assassinated in the next 12 months or so by one of his own mental followers.

9 minutes ago, Awol said:

That’s the point, when the people doing it across the US in 2020 were brown (and white) it wasn’t called terrorism. Because it’s not.   

That said taking over the seat of government is extremely serious, even if the cast from a bad Netflix series had no idea what to do once they had. 

Please show me the news article from when the BLM protests forced their way in to the House of Congress.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Why would that be necessary?

Biden is taking over one way or another and I think after yesterday support for Trump will begin to wane even in the hardcore ranks.

Its easy to get caught up in something like yesterday, there’s something thrilling and exhilarating about being in a mob, s some of the idiots who interviewed stated - they thought they were the forefront of a revolution, the tip of the spear. 
In the cold light of day when they see and hear the news today and realise that they’re being denounced as domestic terrorists, insurrectionists and rioters a deep level of shame will wash over some of them for sure.

They’ve ended up as the total opposite of what they thought they were, all thanks to their egotistical, maniacal and abhorrent leader - I only hope they turn their anger on him.

Not that I’m necessarily advocating for it but I can see Trump being assassinated in the next 12 months or so by one of his own mental followers.

Shame washing over the shameless is unlikely.  You also need to remember that these people will not be looking at CNN or MSNBC, they will be on Fox watching Hannity scaring the crap out of them stating that the riots will be used by the Democrats to strip away their freedom, they will be on OAN and other far right media outlets and on their own forums bigging themselves up as heroes and freedom fighters.  They will see the messages from Trump saying he loves them.  There is no cold light of day for those that won't open their eyes.

BTW that Hannity is not rhetoric, he really said that crap.

Edited by Straggler
spelling and Hannity addition

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It would 100% fit into the UK definition of terrorism:

Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public.  It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

What happened yesterday without question fills all that criteria and then some. 

Terrorism is really performative violence, the direct victims aren’t the intended audience, as that definition says. 

These clowns thought they were starting a revolution. That’s not terrorism, it’s sedition. 

The definition of terrorism varies not only between countries but between institutions within countries. In the US for example the DoD, CIA, State Department and FBI all have different takes on what terrorism is. 

Terrorism scholars are no more in agreement either, despite many books (and whole careers) being dedicated to answering that question. 

FWIW the UK takes a very broad, ‘it’s terrorism if we say it is’ approach. 

Â