U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Is Pete a Political Party now or just some bloke who puts gravy on fish and posts on a football forum?

It’s a work in progress, the political party part.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Is Pete a Political Party now or just some bloke who puts gravy on fish and posts on a football forum?

I think oddly modern politics is showing us that because the majority of the electorate are either apathetic or already set on their habits (my dad voted labour and so will I), you can target even quite small groups with specific interests, like fish-gravy weirdos and they'll make a special effort to vote for you - there aren't many of them, but if you have them, they'll tip the balance. I think Trump shows that if you can pick up some really rabid minority groups you can actually mock much larger groups who are largely not bothered and the overall result still gets you more votes.

The question is how many people are out there that have been putting gravy on fish and silently, angrily waiting for someone to tell them it's okay? It doesn't have to be that many in order to put Pete in power and make brown fish the new national dish. We should beware.

• Haha 4

A caravan of trucks full of flag waving ISIS members, er, Trump supporters entered Portland, OR last night. A "Patriot Prayer" guy in camo ended getting shot to death. 

Now the armed militia types will increase the violence there, and elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

A caravan of trucks full of flag waving ISIS members, er, Trump supporters entered Portland, OR last night. A "Patriot Prayer" guy in camo ended getting shot to death. 

Now the armed militia types will increase the violence there, and elsewhere. 

There’s a bunch of videos from the ‘Trump caravan‘ here:

4 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There’s a bunch of videos from the ‘Trump caravan‘ here:

Does anyone else feel like America could be on the verge of Civil War. 

The shooting has started and I can totally see it escalating. 

Trump has preached hatred and eye for an eye politics and quasi legitimatised much of this. Those flags picturing him holding a machine gun are scary. 

America is a country with way too many guns and way too many nutters. The intolerance is shocking. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Does anyone else feel like America could be on the verge of Civil War. 

The shooting has started and I can totally see it escalating. 

Trump has preached hatred and eye for an eye politics and quasi legitimatised much of this. Those flags picturing him holding a machine gun are scary. 

America is a country with way too many guns and way too many nutters. The intolerance is shocking. 

It's something that most people I know here talk about as a potential reality, in one form or another. At the very least, an eruption of violence on or around election day. But the months beyond that look grim too. As long as right wing propaganda has people believing in fantasy narratives and fear based conspiracies, there seems to be little hope for social cohesion.  Big problems on the horizon here. I'm seriously looking at leaving the country permanently and scoping things out for family and friends who might join me.

Edited by maqroll
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's something that most people I know here talk about as a potential reality, in one form or another. At the very least, an eruption of violence on or around election day. But the months beyond that look grim too. As long as right wing propaganda has people believing in fantasy narratives and fear based conspiracies, there seems to be little hope for social cohesion.  Big problems on the horizon here. I'm seriously looking at leaving the country permanently and scoping things out for family and friends who might join me.

Man, I'm sorry you have to feel that way.  Must be horrible to get to that point. 

It seems that Trump is now deliberately fostering civil disobedience and then fanning the violence that comes off it in order to persuade the American voter that they desperately need an authoritarian leader who can crack down on the immediate threat to their lives and livelihoods. 

As an election strategy, persuading people to shoot at each other in order to harvest the votes of the afraid is pretty cynical I'd say.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

My favourite is how they show scenes from the unrest last night under the caption "this is what a Biden government would look like" 

The kind of people with enough braincells to come up with "... But this is literally happening under Trump" aren't the target demographic.

It's Idiocracy come true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

is pretty cynical I'd say.

They are all as bad as each other IMO. 

If 3 pirates get caught up in the crossfire (Not likely),  Biden would turn up on TV looking like Jack Sparrow the next day.

If feedback said,  everyone is going green,  Biden would ditch the black bird and rock up with Shrek,  they have no shame.

Trump is the master but he has a willing apprentice in Biden.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

My favourite is how they show scenes from the unrest last night under the caption "this is what a Biden government would look like" 

Worked here didn’t it?

Somehow Johnson managed to convince the country that a vote for anyone else would result in something worse than the previous decade of Tory leadership, people don’t care about truth or fact any more, just what they find easier to believe in.

@Amsterdam_Neil_D

Democratic nominee Joe Biden issued a statement unequivocally condemning violence on all sides after a man was fatally shot Saturday night during a clash between supporters of President Trump and anti-racism protesters.

https://www.axios.com/biden-trump-condemns-portland-violence-861488d0-6f9b-4a6a-8f94-6f18c9a05381.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Worked here didn’t it?

Somehow Johnson managed to convince the country that a vote for anyone else would result in something worse than the previous decade of Tory leadership, people don’t care about truth or fact any more, just what they find easier to believe in.

I disagree. I've voted Tory all my life but I voted Lib Dem this time because I couldn't vote for Boris. 

Johnson didn't win the election, Corbyn lost the election by being totally unelectable.  They've already drawn level apparently and I can't remember seeing or hearing from Starmer.  He's done almost nothing to draw level other than not being a complete knob. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Pretty good response by him but there is no alternative narrative for him.

Honestly,  I am just adding a bit of balance hopefully.  

We are on the same side,  it's just the assumption that Biden will solve it.  He was Vice president for a long time alongside the 1st Black President.

In that time with that firepower of personalities it's seems odd that the issue of race is still front and centre.  Same as before Obama and the same after it.  

There have been 1000's of murders of black people by the Police in the US,  even through Biden's vice presidency. 

Why didn't he stop it then is my question,  or is it timing of message rather than urgency of people dying.  

Just questions asked in the wrong way probably but does anyone understand what i mean?

27 minutes ago, maqroll said:

yeah, Biden sucks too, but if there were ever a clear cut choice to pull the country back from the precipice it is voting for Biden and every Dem down the line. The GOP is rotten to the core.

The situation is nowhere near as bad as you postulate. Take a step back and try not to personalize things so much. It's not good for your health.

Perhaps I'm projecting, but I see too many people here in my locality that are borderline hanging their personal identity on the current political discourse. Regardless of those in power, life will go on. Death & taxes too. 

Â