U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

Both will have a view, surely?  But as irony is an intentional act, the intent of the author is paramount.

I'm not sure I agree - with the paramount, that is.

One can read irony into something said without any ironic intent - the crux of your previous point, surely?

The effect of the irony is magnified by the observed lack of knowledge of the speaker/author, no?

Edited by snowychap

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

One can read irony into something said without any ironic intent - the crux of your previous point, surely? 

Yes, agreed.  And it adds to the amusement when that happens.

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The effect of the irony is magnified by the observed lack of knowledge of the speaker/author, no? 

Definitely.   All sorts of po-faced comments by yanks about freedom, being neutral and basically all of their foreign policy lend themselves to this criticism.

8 minutes ago, peterms said:

Yes, agreed.  And it adds to the amusement when that happens.

Definitely.   All sorts of po-faced comments by yanks about freedom, being neutral and basically all of their foreign policy lend themselves to this criticism.

Mostly, I'm with you but

Irony is not necessarily amusing.

Edited by snowychap
spelling again
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Mostly, I'm with you but

Irony is not necessarily amusing.

The irony that can be found in the actions and words of our world leaders as a general rule is quite disheartening and disappointing, certainly not amusing.

That's not to suggest that we should be downhearted and pessimistic about the world, rather that irony in this case is synonymous with hypocrisy and evokes concern before humour.

• Like 1

I'm just waiting for the FBI to catch the left-wing mobsters who sent bombs to Soros, Clinton, Obama and CNN just to help the Democrats win the mid-terms.  Disgusting that those liberals would use fear and deceit for political purposes when the Republicans are so committed to fairness, honesty and the right of all citizens to vote.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

I'm just waiting for the FBI to catch the left-wing mobsters who sent bombs to Soros, Clinton, Obama and CNN just to help the Democrats win the mid-terms.  Disgusting that those liberals would use fear and deceit for political purposes when the Republicans are so committed to fairness, honesty and the right of all citizens to vote.

Doubleplusgood

Bomb sent to a restaurant owned by Robert DeNiro it seems.

Nobody gives a **** that DeNiro criticises Trump. Probably lends credence to the (blindingly obvious) thought that it's a Trump fanatic behind it, rather than a 'false flag'. Also probably suggests there's more out there aimed at anti-Trump pop culture figures.

John Oliver might want to screen his mail.

45 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Bomb sent to a restaurant owned by Robert DeNiro it seems.

Nobody gives a **** that DeNiro criticises Trump. Probably lends credence to the (blindingly obvious) thought that it's a Trump fanatic behind it, rather than a 'false flag'. Also probably suggests there's more out there aimed at anti-Trump pop culture figures.

John Oliver might want to screen his mail.

As should every presenter on MSNBC

Â