U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

the Whitehouse have told us that Trumps tweets are official statements.

the 'they're only tweets' defense simply doesn't stand up.

regardless of the medium, when the POTUS has something to say, people will listen.

Reading comprehension being at a youth level is one of the unfortunate consequences of modern society. Though it's entirely possible that it was always present but simply hidden by our inability to mass communicate in the way we have learned to in the past 25yrs.

The important point I made was to stop taking the tweets or other comments literally, not about the official or otherwise nature of comments from the official POTUS twitter etc. account. Now to be explicit, this means the defined meaning of the word, not in the like like like O M G... crowd. In modern parlance, I believe I've just thrown shade or some such in your direction I suppose.

It is so so silly. I mean how clear does Trump have to be or much does he have to do, to make people realize that he is using his twitter account for a purpose (bully pulpit, marketing/manipulation, distraction and direct communication etc.), and interpreting it as policy or important is down right daft at this point. If it were any other politician, we would all know not to take what is said at face value, but Trump has been so made into an "other", that this simple common sense notion appears to have been forgotten.

It's reactions like this that has lead us to having him in charge and the complete shambles that is the current political opposition.

Edited by villakram

It's a fait accompli. The US isn't going to war with N Korea because you just can't have a proper dust up with a nuclear power, that's why countries want the things in the first place.

The question now is how we learn to live with it, not how to remove it. That ship sailed under GWB. 

• Like 1

Has there ever been a more perfect encapsulation of the neoconservative mindset than that of Eli Lake's tweet here?

'Leaving aside means and only looking at outcome' is certainly a perfect epitaph for our adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan. 

• Like 1

According to the recent pew survey the rest of the world would be quiet happy with regime change in the Empire too. Though, it's been like this for a bunch of these now. Do some good, buy a neocon a mirror.

It seems that the US only has one aircraft carrier anywhere close to North Korea (the Reagan): http://www.gonavy.jp/CVLocation.html

There is one that is currently undergoing sea-based Composite Training Unit Exercises off the coast of SoCal (the Roosevelt) which would take approximately a fortnight to travel to the Far East. 

Suggests there's little chance of America beginning hostilities just yet, anyway. 

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Could a civil war on some scale break out there?

That country is **** and far too many lunatics have the fire power of a small army. 

I suppose that's one way to get Mexico to build the wall - they won't want the American refugees.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Could a civil war on some scale break out there?

That country is **** and far too many lunatics have the fire power of a small army. 

It wouldn't last very long if it did. Most of the far right are armed to the back teeth. 

If those torches caught those ludicrous outfits alight, nothing of worth would be lost.

Trump's reaction was suitably shit. Point blank refused to acknowledge the white supremacist element. 

I look forward to sweeping away of questions about the murderer.

Â