U.S. Politics

maqroll

did anyone on here watch the dem debate?

Half watched a good chunk of it, but no where near the entertainment value of the republican contest. The other 4 were so deferential to Hillary it was ridiculous. I couldn't believe they let her away with answering a point blank "no" when asked to speak more about the email scandal. And Anderson Cooper had no interest whatsoever in going after her... I guess he is involved in their global money making scam foundation.

It doesn't matter how serious that scandal is or not, just letting her away without a scratch shows they all know it's her race to lose.

Bernie actually had some substantive statements to make, Hillary kept to well rehearsed talking points. Given how weak Webb and Chaffee were I was really surprised that neither of them went after her real hard. Jobs in the admin up for grabs I suppose. O'Malley did ok, but it was very clear right from the off that CNN were only interested in promoting Hillary/Bernie.

• 3 weeks later...

Prominent US Senators and Mayors Outed as Members of the KKK by Anonymous

Anonymous delivers on its promise to unhood thousands of KKK members.

Several prominent US Senators and mayors have been outed as members of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) and other racist groups by the hacktivist collective Anonymous, and the group hints that more politicians and public figures will be named in the near future.

In a new post on document-dumping site pastebin, Anonymous names US Senators Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), John Cornyn (R-Tx.), Dan Coats (R-In.) and Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) as members of the KKK. Anonymous also outed several mayors of major US cities, including Madeline Rogero of Knoxville, Tennessee; Jim Gray of Lexington, Kentucky; Paul D. Fraim of Norfolk, Virginia; Kent Guinn of Ocala, Florida; and Tom Henry of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Thom Tillis, who is listed as a member of the United Northern and Southern Knights of the KKK in Thornton, was North Carolina’s Speaker of the House before being elected to the US Senate in 2014. Tillis was behind the implementation of numerous far-right policies in the Tar Heel State including voter ID laws, public education cuts, restrictions on abortion that were later struck down by federal judges, tax hikes on low-income earners to pay for tax cuts for the wealthy, among others.

US Uncut

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, if Sanders = Corbyn, and Trump = Farage, does that make Obama = Cameron?

I think Trump's pretty exceptional, actually. The comparison to Farage is miles off. We haven't seen an overtly bigoted candidate with such popular appeal since Charles Lindbergh or George Wallace. It's one thing to think of the shit Trump thinks. It's another to have a national bullhorn at your disposal and actually be willing to say that shit. And say it again. And again.

Speech like this, repeated on such a massive scale, is nearing a kind of direct action.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

The US has full freedom of speech doesn't it? You can say racist things, hate speech is permitted, essentially you can say anything yo like in the US. 

Our freedom of speech is different, there are limits on things like racism and hate speech. 

Am I right in thinking that if Trump were here he'd most likely be arrested?

14 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The US has full freedom of speech doesn't it? You can say racist things, hate speech is permitted, essentially you can say anything yo like in the US. 

Our freedom of speech is different, there are limits on things like racism and hate speech. 

Am I right in thinking that if Trump were here he'd most likely be arrested?

Not for the anti-Muslim policy proposal. You can make any kind of political suggestion you like, really. The problem comes with the justification - if you say we should ban them all because slanderous comment X, then you can be in trouble. He'd more likely have difficulty for his bald insinuation that all Mexicans are rapists. 

• Like 1

Â