U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know we have a lot of doctors from Muslim countries over here, is it the same in the States? Nurses?

His comments are just so stupid it hurts my brain.

Around 10% of physicians in the US are Muslim, I don't know how high the figure is in the UK specifically for Muslims however 67% of healthcare professionals are from ethnic backgrounds but I don't know the breakdown

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I see the UK people want him banned coming here. Dont think he will care that much to be honest

Well, a petition of over 100,000 want him banned. Not quite the same as 'the UK people'.

I'd imagine he'd be pretty pissed off if he were banned from coming to the UK with his investments in Scottish golf courses. Rather than banning him from the UK, though, we could just ask the R&A to tell him that Turnberry's off the Open Championship rotation.

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Well, a petition of over 100,000 want him banned. Not quite the same as 'the UK people'.

I'd imagine he'd be pretty pissed off if he were banned from coming to the UK with his investments in Scottish golf courses. Rather than banning him from the UK, though, we could just ask the R&A to tell him that Turnberry's off the Open Championship rotation.

Well snowy as you probably know that means discussed in the house of commons now so "it is the UK people" abit silly to nit pick words as I did not not say all the UK people did i?

Second point is valid but I don't know his background with regards his empire in the UK but I would imagine its probably a fraction of his wealth otherwise I don't imagine he would not have said something so idiotic (could be wrong mind you on that)

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well snowy as you probably know that means discussed in the house of commons now so "it is the UK people" abit silly to nit pick words as I did not not say all the UK people did i?

At 100,000 signatures or more, it will be considered for debate in Parliament by the Petitions Committee. It does not necessarily mean that it will be debated.

Either way, it doesn't mean that the UK people want him banned coming here - and no, that's not 'nitpicking'.

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Second point is valid but I don't know his background with regards his empire in the UK but I would imagine its probably a fraction of his wealth otherwise I don't imagine he would not have said something so idiotic (could be wrong mind you on that)

I'd read in a place or two that Turnberry's doing okay for him but I'd have thought that it's more of a personal thing and that it was a punt on it (now Trump Turnberry) hosting the Open before too long. For that reason, I'd imagine it might irk him somewhat if he found difficulties in visiting his course (not that I think the Home Secretary will be shoving Trump on any list - other than a christmas card list).

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

I know we have a lot of doctors from Muslim countries over here, is it the same in the States? Nurses?

His comments are just so stupid it hurts my brain.

saw something in i paper saying that <1% of people in the states are muslim, 25% of those are converts rather than immigrants, there is a much higher percentage of attacks that can be blamed on the converts than can be blamed on the immigrants

they went on to add that there doesnt seem to be any kind of pattern as to where they are in comparison to say the black community, they are spread far and wide across the country and that in general they are more prosperous than the average american

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

At 100,000 signatures or more, it will be considered for debate in Parliament by the Petitions Committee. It does not necessarily mean that it will be debated.

Either way, it doesn't mean that the UK people want him banned coming here - and no, that's not 'nitpicking'.

I'd read in a place or two that Turnberry's doing okay for him but I'd have thought that it's more of a personal thing and that it was a punt on it (now Trump Turnberry) hosting the Open before too long. For that reason, I'd imagine it might irk him somewhat if he found difficulties in visiting his course (not that I think the Home Secretary will be shoving Trump on any list - other than a christmas card list).

I know it's a joke but just what are you basing this idea on that Theresa May somehow sympathises with Trump?

Well she is a rabid right wing civil liberty infringing power hungry bitch so Trump is probably uttering the words she'd love to say.

We already know you disagree. And I don't think anyone will change their stance. So the discussion isn't worth the effort for a moment of humour.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Well she is a rabid right wing civil liberty infringing power hungry bitch so Trump is probably uttering the words she'd love to say.

We already know you disagree. And I don't think anyone will change their stance. So the discussion isn't worth the effort for a moment of humour.

Even though you obviously see her that way it's ridiculous to compare her to Trump. No matter where you stand on the political spectrum it should be obvious that there are a lot of things they would disagree on.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

May and Trump are very different. May's not muslimist, mexicanist, misogynist, disabledist, isn't rich, doesn't have a syrup/bizarre barnet and wants to be ruler of the UK not ruler of the US.

Trump's a mental. A sort of even more comedy Nigel Farage.

33 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know it's a joke but just what are you basing this idea on that Theresa May somehow sympathises with Trump?

There are a number of things to it besides the obvious comical aside (i.e. putting people on lists and this time of year being christmas time and christmas card lists being the kind of lists that people make, apparently): one of which is that May, like Trump, seems rather keen on banning things (not necessarily the exact same things but things all the same) and thus may have something in common with Trump; another is that they both hope to be leader of their respective countries in the near future and, regardless of how probable either one of those things is let alone both at the same time, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some form of festive communication may take place (I don't know how the civil service deal with this sort of thing).

Principally, though, the comment was about lists.

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

So please explain the 100,000  plus people who signed the petition where do they originate from if it's not the uk?

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So please explain the 100,000  plus people who signed the petition where do they originate from if it's not the uk?

The 100,000 plus people (now over 230k) who signed the petition are either British Citizens or residents of the UK.

Actually, there's a map where you can view signatories by constituency according to the beeb:

The petition is getting heavy support from Aberdeenshire and surrounding areas in Scotland, as well as London and other major UK cities, according to a map on the Parliament website.

Edited by snowychap

31 minutes ago, snowychap said:

There are a number of things to it besides the obvious comical aside (i.e. putting people on lists and this time of year being christmas time and christmas card lists being the kind of lists that people make, apparently): one of which is that May, like Trump, seems rather keen on banning things (not necessarily the exact same things but things all the same) and thus may have something in common with Trump; another is that they both hope to be leader of their respective countries in the near future and, regardless of how probable either one of those things is let alone both at the same time, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that some form of festive communication may take place (I don't know how the civil service deal with this sort of thing).

Principally, though, the comment was about lists.

I've never heard May express a desire to ban an entire group from entry into the country so the comparison seems a bit weak to me.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I've never heard May express a desire to ban an entire group from entry into the country...

My words were:

...May, like Trump, seems rather keen on banning things (not necessarily the exact same things but things all the same) and thus may have something in common with Trump...

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Many figures in the last Labour government loved banning things too

I know lots of people in the last Labour government loved banning things. I very much remember that because I'm pretty sure that I condemned them for it - often and quite vociferously.

Those people in the last Labour government who also seemed rather keen on banning things (not necessarily the exact same things but things all the same)  may have had something in common with Trump, too. Only none of them are the current Home Secretary so it wouldn't be up to any of them to be deciding on whether or not to ban Trump from the UK and that is a decision that is down to the Home Secretary of the time which would be Theresa May and not any member of a past Labour government, who as not Home Secretary, wouldn't be able to put Trump on a list to ban him from the UK.

In essence, I'm not sure what the last Labour government have to do with this or what on earth they have to do with me. :unsure:

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

doesn't mean I think any of them have sympathies with Trump.

I suggest you take that up with the person who brought up the idea of people having 'sympathies with Trump'. ;)

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Oh. :D

Edited by snowychap

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I know lots of people in the last Labour government loved banning things. I very much remember that because I'm pretty sure that I condemned them for it - often and quite vociferously.

Those people in the last Labour government who also seemed rather keen on banning things (not necessarily the exact same things but things all the same)  may have had something in common with Trump, too. Only none of them are the current Home Secretary so it wouldn't be up to any of them to be deciding on whether or not to ban Trump from the UK and that is a decision that is down to the Home Secretary of the time which would be Theresa May and not any member of a past Labour government, who as not Home Secretary, wouldn't be able to put Trump on a list to ban him from the UK.

In essence, I'm not sure what the last Labour government have to do with this or what on earth they have to do with me. :unsure:

I suggest you take that up with the person who brought up the idea of people having 'sympathies with Trump'. ;)

Oh. :D

I never tried to suggest that you did agree with that, I was just highlighting the absurdity of this logic that May is secretly a fan of Trump.

Just now, Mantis said:

I never tried to suggest that you did agree with that, I was just highlighting the absurdity of this logic that May is secretly a fan of Trump.

I suggest that, should you want an argument which is anything other than you posting stuff I didn't say and me explaining to you what I actually did say, you try having an argument with someone who actually said what you are posting, i.e. not me. :mrgreen:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I suggest that, should you want an argument which is anything other than you posting stuff I didn't say and me explaining to you what I actually did say, you try having an argument with someone who actually said what you are posting, i.e. not me. :mrgreen:

The problem here is that you're turning it into an argument about semantics when we both know what you meant.

Â