U.S. Politics

maqroll

"HURR DURRR, IF THEY WERE REEL AMURICANS, DEY CUD HAVE DEFENDID DEMSHELVES WITH MOAR GUNS DOH HURR DURR.  DIS IZ Y EVERYONE SHUD HAVE A GUN"

This is exactly what they'll argue, because of course she could have shot the perpetrator while she was doing a live TV broadcast. It's so moronic. 

• Like 2

President Barack Obama repeated his call for tougher gun laws after the attack.

"We're willing to spend trillions of dollars to prevent terrorist activities, but we haven't been willing so far at least to impose some common sense gun safety measures," he said.

However Republican presidential hopefuls Jim Gilmore and Ben Carson have warned against any rush to introduce tougher gun controls.

"We're not going to let this madman take away the lawful rights of Americans to keep and bear arms. We're going to stand up for the second amendment," Jim Gilmore, a former governor of Virginia, told CNN.

So for the sake of popularity, a term in office, the Republicans are willing to just brush this type of act, which constantly keeps happening across the country, under the rug because it will affect the number of votes for them.

Until this system is fixed, more and more innocent civilians won't get home from work, to see their families and friends, because of a law that was passed 350 years ago. 

The gun laws in the States are almost as pathetic as the UK's "comedy" laws such as killing a Welshman in York on a Sunday or whatever it is.

The U.S is a truly remarkable country, with many, many wonderful people filling it, but **** me, there are some decisions made at the top which make it completely and utterly retarded.

For shame - to the people that are keeping that country as ridiculous as it already is in some ways.

I'm not saying I'd enjoy living under such gun laws, but it's not quite as simple as saying that it's loony, one has take into account all of the sociohistorical forces that have shaped societal norms and thus understand 1. how freedom to unfettered gun ownership makes subjective sense within a certain worldview and 2. how laws are (often anyway) a reflection of societal norms and hence solving societal problems isn't as simple as implementing laws to ban this and that.

Obviously you could write entire libraries of books on such subjects, but I'm just saying...it's not that simple.

Edited by legov
  • Like 2

I'm not saying I'd enjoy living under such gun laws, but it's not quite as simple as saying that it's loony, one has take into account all of the sociohistorical forces that have shaped societal norms and mores.

I know and understand them, but we're living in a new century now and it's time for America as a country to grow up and stop playing the young, naive pup.

I'm not saying I'd enjoy living under such gun laws, but it's not quite as simple as saying that it's loony, one has take into account all of the sociohistorical forces that have shaped societal norms and mores.

Yeah, 'cos what if the British come back, or the Red Injuns, or Martians, or .... All utter danglies, no civilian anywhere needs to own an assault rifle unless your entire population are army reserves - see Switzerland (virtually no gun crime).

• Like 1

Yeah, 'cos what if the British come back, or the Red Injuns, or Martians, or .... All utter danglies, no civilian anywhere needs to own an assault rifle unless your entire population are army reserves - see Switzerland (virtually no gun crime).

Not saying it's rational, just saying that 1. it makes sense to the individual who's been brought up in a certain surrounding and 2. solving the problem isn't as simple as implementing laws, assuming you can even get those laws passed.

The reporting of this has been in exceptionally bad taste.

The last moments of the victims have been pretty much plastered all over TV and the press. Must be absolutely horrendous for the families.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

The reporting of this has been in exceptionally bad taste.

The last moments of the victims have been pretty much plastered all over TV and the press. Must be absolutely horrendous for the families.

I suppose the fact that the video was broadcast live as it happened has made this fair game, rightly or wrongly.

I wonder if some madmen went and murdered the families of these politicians if they would still be going on about keeping guns legal.

Nothing to do that probably a large amount of them have investments in these gun manufacturing companies...

However Republican presidential hopefuls Jim Gilmore and Ben Carson have warned against any rush to introduce tougher gun controls.

"We're not going to let this madman take away the lawful rights of Americans to keep and bear arms. We're going to stand up for the second amendment," Jim Gilmore, a former governor of Virginia, told CNN.

It's not one madman. There's **** loads of them. In America, there have been 14 school shootings so far this year.  

They're never going to change, obviously.

• Like 1

I wonder if some madmen went and murdered the families of these politicians if they would still be going on about keeping guns legal.

Nothing to do that probably a large amount of them have investments in these gun manufacturing companies...

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a routine political rally a few years ago. It changed her political priorities - she's now a strong advocate for stricter gun control laws. It hasn't affected a single other politician and nor is it likely to. 

The culture change that would be required to see guns becoming less popular is so vastly unlikely to happen that you should just get used to these incidents happening every few weeks for the rest of your life, because they will. Personally I think we should stop devoting so much news time to them in this country. 

Good read on Donald Trump & his appeal to white nationalists in the New Yorker. I'd link & quote but it's behind a pay wall for me now.

I will have to read this. We get it at my house; problem is, that puts me among roughly one-third of 1 percent of other Americans who do.

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords was shot at a routine political rally a few years ago. It changed her political priorities - she's now a strong advocate for stricter gun control laws. It hasn't affected a single other politician and nor is it likely to.

The culture change that would be required to see guns becoming less popular is so vastly unlikely to happen that you should just get used to these incidents happening every few weeks for the rest of your life, because they will. Personally I think we should stop devoting so much news time to them in this country.

All valid points nothing will change. Live the states but this is one other fundamental reasons I would never live there

Good read on Donald Trump & his appeal to white nationalists in the New Yorker. I'd link & quote but it's behind a pay wall for me now.

I will have to read this. We get it at my house; problem is, that puts me among roughly one-third of 1 percent of other Americans who do.

I subscribe to the hard copy. Thoroughly an Establishment mag, but its still usually very good nonetheless.

Vid is up on liveleak for those interested, no gory details in it, but it is scary/frightening as fook

When all those school kids were slaughtered a couple of yrs back and nothing changed... a really sad indictment of this country.

I subscribe to the hard copy. Thoroughly an Establishment mag, but its still usually very good nonetheless.

Establishment: You mean college-educated East Coast urban/suburban liberals with weird facial hair? Like us?

Edited by Plastic Man

Â