U.S. Politics

maqroll

Trump... wow!

Anyway, definitely worth reading the contents of the link below. There is a long and "distinguished" history of this kind of thing: Top 6 Times US government Excluded Millions based on Race or Religion.

http://www.juancole.com/2015/12/government-excluded-religion.html

"... These twin pathologies of racism and religious bigotry were implicated in a whole series of white, Christian supremacist laws aimed at excluding whole swathes of the world from immigration to the United States enacted between 1882 and 1924. Here are the highlights. Or, lowlights."

Note the date of expiry of a number of these measures!

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

The problem here is that you're turning it into an argument about semantics when we both know what you meant.

No. The problem is that you are continually putting words in my mouth in order that you can have an argument with yourself using me as a fake opponent.

I would ask you to stop it, please.

I wish I'd have followed the very sage general advice given out by Chindie a couple of hours ago.

Edited by snowychap

26 minutes ago, Mantis said:

we both know what you meant.

I think perhaps only one of you does, (and it ain't you, Mantis).But could we all please move on from discussing what you "know" Snowy meant. Thanks

It's worth noting that Trump may not be that popular anyway - even before his comments about Muslims. The headlines state that he is 'way out in front' in the polls. The latest (or a very recent one at least) CNN poll (http://www.cnn.com/.../donald-trump-poll-cnn-orc-national/) sampled 278 people and it was only 36% of those who said they would vote for Trump. I wonder if there is any poll with a decent sample size that shows Trump as popular.

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

The 100,000 plus people (now over 230k) who signed the petition are either British Citizens or residents of the UK.

Actually, there's a map where you can view signatories by constituency according to the beeb:

Have you signed it snowy?

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

No. The problem is that you are continually putting words in my mouth in order that you can have an argument with yourself using me as a fake opponent.

I would ask you to stop it, please.

I wish I'd have followed the very sage general advice given out by Chindie a couple of hours ago.

I would ask you to stop motives into my head, please.

46 minutes ago, brendanvillatalk said:

It's worth noting that Trump may not be that popular anyway - even before his comments about Muslims. The headlines state that he is 'way out in front' in the polls. The latest (or a very recent one at least) CNN poll (http://www.cnn.com/.../donald-trump-poll-cnn-orc-national/) sampled 278 people and it was only 36% of those who said they would vote for Trump. I wonder if there is any poll with a decent sample size that shows Trump as popular.

Well, he is way out in front of the other Republican challengers at least but yeah I definitely can't see him winning a presidential election.

The nightmare of course would be Sanders vs Trump but fortunately I can't see either winning their nominations.

To me, Trump is the perfect symbol for the old bloated whale of American white supremacy that is in the throes of death, but is determined to cause as much destruction as possible before it dies completely. Old white America is slipping away, and all his coded and not so coded language is red meat for those people who feel like their foothold is loosening, that their place in the hierarchy is shaky. It's an ugly spectacle.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Well, he is way out in front of the other Republican challengers at least but yeah I definitely can't see him winning a presidential election.

The nightmare of course would be Sanders vs Trump but fortunately I can't see either winning their nominations.

My point is that 'way out in front' is very misleading when you only asked 278 people. How can 278 people possibly represent Republican voters?

is it OBE. I mean you get petitions for everything these days. The twitterers and face bookers and outrageists create outrage storms and pointless petitions about almost anything. In this instance (as in most of his utterances he's showed himself to be a total bell end. His political party colleagues should (and have) slapped him down, but people petitioning to have someone banned for being a bell end....it's almost less than symbolic to me. It just indicates that people these days like to click on a link to register they don't like something.

I sometimes do too, so I'm as bad as the rest, but it's mostly largely utterly pointless.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, snowychap said:

The 100,000 plus people (now over 230k) who signed the petition are either British Citizens or residents of the UK.

Actually, there's a map where you can view signatories by constituency according to the beeb:

Or at least they're people who are able to just Google a valid address and pretend it's theirs...Any kind of poll or petition that doesn't require some sort of validated unique token is vulnerable to vote hijacking.

• Like 1

Â