U.S. Politics

maqroll

The US has full freedom of speech doesn't it? You can say racist things, hate speech is permitted, essentially you can say anything yo like in the US. 

Our freedom of speech is different, there are limits on things like racism and hate speech. 

Am I right in thinking that if Trump were here he'd most likely be arrested?

As long as you're American, white, straight and Christian, yes I think so

6 hours ago, mjmooney said:

So, if Sanders = Corbyn, and Trump = Farage, does that make Obama = Cameron?

You're probably not that far off, the Democrats wouldn't be that far away from being a centre right party I don't think.  To quote the West Wing, the Republicans would be about five different parties if they were in Europe.  The loony fringe is truly frightening though.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Trump will self destruct by springtime. The GOP nominee will be Rubio, Cruz or Bush. 

People have been saying that for months though. Every time he comes out with something more outrageous he has gone up in the polls (although I believe Cruz was just ahead in one Iowa poll today.) Unfortunately a lot of what he says, however obscene, resonates with a lot of 'Heartland' Americans. The GOP bosses have no idea what to do about him. He isn't just sticking around, he's got incredible momentum. 

I hope so - the alternative of him being the actual nominee is unthinkable.

Good concise article by Katy Kay (BBC World News)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35035692 

...You have to wonder, come the general election, whether the nominee will be judged in part on how he responded to Mr Trump's statement today. That is, if the nominee is not the man who wants to ban all Muslims from entering America. Finally, watch the fallout closely. So far, every time political commentators have predicted that an "outrageous" comment by Mr Trump meant he had finally gone too far, the voters seemed to think otherwise and his much vaunted poll numbers just went higher. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.....

Edited by blandy
quote extract inserted

I can't see Trump do anything but harm the Republicans. It doesn't really matter that virtually all of the other candidates have come out and condemned his recent comments because he plays to the Republican stereotype. He's dragging the primaries precisely away from where the Republicans should be heading in the general.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Been thinking for a while that Trump is a smokescreen and secretly he has done a deal with one of the other candidates to make trump look so unpopular anyone would look better than him

I don't believe there's anything secret afoot but if there are any deals that have been done I'd bet on one between Trump and Clinton. Should she get the Democratic nomination (and I expect she will) she'll be the biggest beneficiary of Trump's run. As I said earlier, his policies play to the Republican stereotype and he's only dragging the party further to the right so he doesn't help them at all for the general election.

Interestingly, Trump was a Democrat between 2001 and 2009 and before 1987.

Edited by Mantis

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Been thinking for a while that Trump is a smokescreen and secretly he has done a deal with one of the other candidates to make trump look so unpopular anyone would look better than him

Donald Trump is only interested in what's good for Donald Trump. He's simply spouting nonsense that sells to his audience dependant on where he is, and whatever keeps him in the headlines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I'd be embarrassed to be an American if Donald Trump was one of the front runners to lead the country. What the hell is going on if someone like that can be a (semi) serious presidency candidate...?

He actually hasn't got a massive amount of support. He rarely gets above 30% in the polls and I expect that if he ran as a third party candidate he'd struggle to get 10%. The main reason why he's got so much support is because there are so many other Republican candidates, none of whom really stand out and many who are viewed as part of the "establishment".

Interestingly, a YouGov poll found that 25% of people here think that his idea of a Muslim ban is at least somewhat appropriate.

I know we have a lot of doctors from Muslim countries over here, is it the same in the States? Nurses?

His comments are just so stupid it hurts my brain.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â