U.S. Politics

maqroll

On 13/11/2023 at 11:12, sne said:

Issue is will people turn up to vote for Biden this time?

I think people are more likely to turn up to vote against Trump. One political analyst described Trump as "someone who is very good at stopping people voting for his opponent, but even better at stopping people voting for him".

It's a sad state when these are the two likeliest candidates in a country of that size.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2023 at 10:45, nick76 said:

Never certain, but I’m obsessed with American politics and the movement despite not being American myself. I love watching all the political sides from media to other outlets to various online platforms, the dark side to the mainstream. It’s so much better than reality tv. I can understand why Clinton lost to Trump in 2016 but I don’t see that with Biden and Trump, not only the individuals but there are so many other factors currently like abortion.  I’m very nervous about it but unless something major happens between now and then, imo the abortion issue will continue to drive out the Democrat base.

What has been true so far for Biden is that the twitter/mediasphere is far more obsessed with the narrative than the vote translation on the ground. Of slight concern is that the polling is generally unfavorable for Biden but it always has been except in the weeks leading up to the actual election. A year is a long time, but the only major concern I have is Biden actually croaking. He has a seasoned team that has been able to navigate the majority of the election-work and if Trump does remain the nominee, I think it'll be enough of a turnout for a similar bloc of voters to the last election.

For once - the Democratic party might actually do something strategic as they are trying to tie a state constitutional amendment vote related to abortion/reproductive rights to next year's election. That has resounding success in Ohio of all places and if that can be replicated in other states, then they have a good chance of repeating.

• Like 2

Particularly impressive is how Fox News and the right wing media started with the "Biden is old" right after he won the election and just continued to hammer it over and over again. This dedication to staying on a simple message, no matter the context around it, is enough to set the idea in the mind.

Comer and Jordan just continue to look like Muppets.  

Hunter Biden called their bluff by agreeing to a hearing but not a closed door deposition but a public congressional hearing so the GOP can’t misrepresent and Comer and co are too scared.  

The brilliant Dan Goldman calling Comer out…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Trump is going to go berserk his gag orders are reinstated, this could get interesting.

It was always headed to a showdown.   He's going to taunt them and dare them to jail him, and they'll do it.   There could be violence because his rabid, head-in-the-sand base will believe his claim that he's being persecuted.   But I hope a few of the hypocritical semi-establishment Republican figures will conclude that it will be a step too far to try to back up his gaslighting and defend him this time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

But I hope a few of the hypocritical semi-establishment Republican figures will conclude that it will be a step too far to try to back up his gaslighting and defend him this time.

He tried an actual revolution.  I don't see anyone letting him down now.

Santos strikes me as the kind of man who will be, as we speak, sat in front of a mirror brushing his hair and telling himself he is the President, and Napoleon, and Jesus, and writing a letter to investors about how he owns Big Ben.

23 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Santos strikes me as the kind of man who will be, as we speak, sat in front of a mirror brushing his hair and telling himself he is the President, and Napoleon, and Jesus, and writing a letter to investors about how he owns Big Ben.

He's been accused by a fellow Republican congressman of stealing his and his mother's credit card info and chaging contributions to Santos' campaign that exceed legal contribution limits.   Apparently, there's evidence of same happening to a lot of people.  They guy's an absolute nutter.  You read about statements from Santos' office and have to wonder how the hell he convinces anyone to work for him.

Yep well we can see Joe Biden put his whole career on the line for $4000 corruption payment from China apparently.  

Never mind it was Hunter paying his dad back over three months for his truck repayments and I believe Joe wasn’t even in office then to peddle any supposed influence.

MAGA Republicans are just not to be taken seriously!  This is even a new low now and I didn’t think that was possible.

Edited by nick76

Â