Jimzk5

5 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

I don't think this is about FFP, quite the opposite actually, we're not spending enough on these players apparently :) 

You talk like you wouldn't be bothered if one of your rivals had managed to pick up a whole team of Premier League quality players for peanuts. Pull the other one, you'd be as suspicious as the rest of us!

53 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don't think it's anything to do with the fact that 'it's Wolves'. I don't think any of the clubs in the league care about you that much ;) I think the issue, as someone mentioned a few posts up, is that you've essentially been able to sign Premier League quality players on, presumably, Championship wages, and for Championship transfer fees, or minimal loan fees. The issue for Wolves will arise if it turns out that there have been some 'extra' fees passed around, either to compensate the clubs selling or loaning out those players, or to the players themselves for playing in a league which, could be considered to be, 'below their station'.

If there are no dodgy fees knocking around, then you're probably right, and Wolves probably won't have done anything wrong, and it's just a case of them benefiting from a very savvy relationship to an agent. But I think everyone looking in from the outside is suspicious that there could be some form of 'advisory payments' or similar that may have found their way through Mendes or one of his related companies into the pockets of the mentioned players or clubs.

Agree with this, if there have been any backdoor payments to either clubs or players then clearly that's not fair.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

You talk like you wouldn't be bothered if one of your rivals had managed to pick up a whole team of Premier League quality players for peanuts. Pull the other one, you'd be as suspicious as the rest of us!

Well, it's not peanuts, we've broke our transfer record three times since Fosun turned up, and currently have the most expensive player in the league.

Recently other clubs have been banging on about us breaching FFP and now we're not paying enough! :) 

They look Premier League class in retrospect, but Neves and Jota were not playing much last season and are only 20 and 21 years old.  No one had heard of them and it could have gone wrong, could still go wrong!  We had a similar model last season don't forget.

But as I say, if they have done wrong, then fair enough, I wouldn't want us to cheat our way up.  We shall see.

25 minutes ago, Andy81 said:

They look Premier League class in retrospect, but Neves and Jota were not playing much last season and are only 20 and 21 years old.  No one had heard of them and it could have gone wrong, could still go wrong!  We had a similar model last season don't forget.

Come off Neves is a Portugese international, extremely highly rated before his season with you lot. Jota was also highly rated. I don’t think you can say no one had heard of them.

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Come off Neves is a Portugese international, extremely highly rated before his season with you lot. Jota was also highly rated. I don’t think you can say no one had heard of them.

I hadn't at least :) 

All of the players we signed could have said 'no'.

Anyway, personally, I don't think there's much wrong with building a network, people say that it's wrong for an agent to have this much influence at a club, but he isn't our only source of players, and it seems, club, player, and agent are benefiting from the arrangement.

As I say, if we are sneaking hidden payments around that would be wrong.

• Like 1

Mendes has his hands in enough pies to get away with a fine at most

Im interested to know who the unnamed club, i imagine lower Premier League clubs more worried than Championship teams

8 hours ago, sne said:

Surely any penalty would be for the next season and not this one?

Would have to be a really severe breach of rules if they would not be allowed to be promoted should they finish top 2. It's a £100-200m penalty. That's harsh unless they have committed crimes against humanity.

Giving them an arbitrary point deduction this season would be suspect unless there is a very clear guideline for how many points it should be.

11 points puts them outside promotion, 20 outside the play off, 44 in relegation...

It would make this whole season a bit of a farce.

I think the possible reasoning for it to maybe apply to this season and potentially stop promotion would be more for the club that wouldn't go up if Wolves did. If they are found to have broken the rules and a penalty/fine will be in place but still allowed to go up then the club who doesn't go up and has the best argument for 'it should have been us' will start contacting lawyers and looking for a payout. I believe the out of court settlement between West Ham and Sheffield United exceeded £10m and that was for relegation in 06/07 which would have been worth less in tv money but still involved parachute payments. Hypothetically if Villa/Cardiff lost the playoffs and then Wolves were found to be in breach but still allowed to go up they could go looking for compensation from Wolves/Championship/Premier League in the region of £100-200m in lost earnings. 

3 hours ago, Andy81 said:

I hadn't at least :) 

All of the players we signed could have said 'no'.

Anyway, personally, I don't think there's much wrong with building a network, people say that it's wrong for an agent to have this much influence at a club, but he isn't our only source of players, and it seems, club, player, and agent are benefiting from the arrangement.

As I say, if we are sneaking hidden payments around that would be wrong.

I take your points, but the highlighted is an interesting one. I'm not for a moment suggesting Mendes is in the business of human trafficking or anything, but is it totally impossible that he might have mentioned to a few players that if they wanted his representation and all the benefits that could bring, that said player needed to spend a year or two playing at his mates club in England?

Even if that were the case - and to be clear that's absolutely pure speculation with no evidence - would it actually be against any rules?

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I take your points, but the highlighted is an interesting one. I'm not for a moment suggesting Mendes is in the business of human trafficking or anything, but is it totally impossible that he might have mentioned to a few players that if they wanted his representation and all the benefits that could bring, that said player needed to spend a year or two playing at his mates club in England?

Even if that were the case - and to be clear that's absolutely pure speculation with no evidence - would it actually be against any rules?

Yeah, guess you could be right, although who wouldn’t jump at the chance to sign for the 19th best team in the championship last season?

• Haha 2

Are there any restrictions on wage bills at this level?

I suppose we're not ones to talk given some of the players in our squad but read last summer Helder Costa was apparently on 80k a week and I imagine likes of Neves and Cavaliero aren't on 10k a week.

In reality little will happen. In fairness I don't object to the way Wolves are doing it as Watford were similar, picked up good quality international players from Udinese and Granada.

5 hours ago, Andy81 said:

They look Premier League class in retrospect, but Neves and Jota were not playing much last season and are only 20 and 21 years old.  No one had heard of them and it could have gone wrong, could still go wrong!

Think you’re doing a bit of a disservice to 2 if Portugal’s brightest prospects there mate! No-one had heard of them?!?

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Think you’re doing a bit of a disservice to 2 if Portugal’s brightest prospects there mate! No-one had heard of them?!?

You might be right chap. I honestly didn’t know anything about them, but to be fair, that’s a low bar!

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

I think the possible reasoning for it to maybe apply to this season and potentially stop promotion would be more for the club that wouldn't go up if Wolves did. If they are found to have broken the rules and a penalty/fine will be in place but still allowed to go up then the club who doesn't go up and has the best argument for 'it should have been us' will start contacting lawyers and looking for a payout. I believe the out of court settlement between West Ham and Sheffield United exceeded £10m and that was for relegation in 06/07 which would have been worth less in tv money but still involved parachute payments. Hypothetically if Villa/Cardiff lost the playoffs and then Wolves were found to be in breach but still allowed to go up they could go looking for compensation from Wolves/Championship/Premier League in the region of £100-200m in lost earnings. 

Leicester & Bournemouth both broke FFP rules in the seasons they were promoted, Nobody has sued them, nobody will ever sue them. They would receive a meaningless fine.

Bournemouth breached FFP rules by 30 million+ in order to get promoted, they were fined 7 million...

As long as you actually manage to go up there is no real penalty for spending whatever you like, Would be interesting to see what would happen if a team completely bottled it and missed out alltogether but it would likely just be transfer embargos & fines the same as fulham, forest, qpr

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Leeds United, Aston Villa and Derby County are thought to be three of the teams who have voiced dissatisfaction in the past to the Football League. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/03/05/rivals-call-inquiry-jorge-mendes-role-wolves/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

They can investigate his role all they like but there isn't anything they can do about it. Clubs work with agents all the time. Fat Sam and Sir Alex Ferguson had "preferred" agents for their transfers deals if I'm not mistaken. 

Â